Compact and smaller bits and bobs (1 Viewer)

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Hi

I am keen to get more compact replacements for some of the items we use.

I have just got a couple of microfiber towels and am very impressed with the size and performance of them.

I'm now looking for an alternative to a quilt. Does anyone use a sleeping bag (the sort that gets compacted into a stuff sack)?

Any ideas for bits and bobs that can replace the normal items will be much appreciated

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If by quilt you mean a duvet the trick unfortunately, is to spend a bit more on them. We've found good quality duvets roll up really small and tight. Cheap ones fight back!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I wouldn't go down the sleeping bag route - I hate them with a passion as they feel so claustrophobic plus they are a pain if you want to turn round in them as you can end up tied in knots!! As above, a better quality duvet is the trick or alternatively use a 'vacuum' type roll-up bag to get the air out and keep it out when you pack it away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Really good micro fibre towels are great but you have to the large good quality ones. The flat material kind are the best not the ones with a pile on them. They dry very quickly.

We have the outwell collapsable colander and bowl both excellent. Also the camping pots and pans that fit inside each other are great for saving space.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have some old fashioned mugs/glasses made by Pyrex:

mug.JPG

The beauty of these is that they do double duty as mugs for tea/coffee or with the plastic outer removed as glasses and as they're Pyrex they are very tough!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We also use some silicone trivets which do double duty as lids for small pans so long as you don't get really floppy ones!

ZK501301-C-3-21.jpg

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
C

and the car !

I've never thought of using my Wooly Mammoth drying towel on me ...strictly for the car and MH !!! and shudder to think about using my "Wookies Fist" wash mitt on me ......................wookies fist pictured ;)

upload_2016-3-31_22-43-24.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've never thought of using my Wooly Mammoth drying towel on me ...strictly for the car and MH !!! and shudder to think about using my "Wookies Fist" wash mitt on me ......................wookies fist pictured ;)

View attachment 99198
... is it still alive? :eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We actually use a small microfibre mitt to dry off first then finish with a towel, that way the 'wettest' item is the small mitt which doesn't take up a lot of room whilst it's left out to dry, and the towel doesn't get too damp so dries much quicker. There are 2 main types of mitt - the tassle one and the 'flat' one ... use whichever takes your fancy (oo, er missus!).
mitt.JPG
microfibre flat mit.jpg

I also use a microfibre towel for my hair as it really draws the moisture out and leaves it nearly dry after only 10 minutes and packs really small.

turbo.jpg

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi like the mitts where did you buy them please. Many thanks jan.
We actually use a small microfibre mitt to dry off first then finish with a towel, that way the 'wettest' item is the small mitt which doesn't take up a lot of room whilst it's left out to dry, and the towel doesn't get too damp so dries much quicker. There are 2 main types of mitt - the tassle one and the 'flat' one ... use whichever takes your fancy (oo, er missus!).
View attachment 99199 View attachment 99200
I also use a microfibre towel for my hair as it really draws the moisture out and leaves it nearly dry after only 10 minutes and packs really small.

View attachment 99201

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
The sort of vacuum bags that you roll up rather than the ones you use a hoover to evacuate are great for in the van. You can put clothes in when you're doing a 2 season trip, coats, spare bedding etc and it comes out uncreased and takes up a fraction of the space of the unfolded clothes. I put a sheet of tumble dryer softener paper in to keep things smelling fresh.

Another space saver is to put all your pillows into cushion covers in the daytime rather than having both pillows and cushions. I have 2 fleecy blankets ( the kind with sleeves in them) which are handy on cold nights if you are saving gas as well as over the bed if cold. These are folded into cushion covers as well and used during the day.

In our last van we rolled the duvets into long sausages and rolled them in a throw and they made a couple of very good bolster cushions at the back of the 2 bench seats which made them much more comfortable. Saved on daytime storage as well.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Forgot...we've got an Outwell Collaps silicone folding kettle. We use an electric kettle for preference when on hook up but this fold to about the size of a book and takes up little space in a drawer.. It doesn't smell or make the water taste and, after 3 years is still popping up and collapsing with no sign of wear. Not cheap but very good.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@PE, you asked about a sleeping bag. I do have a sleeping bag that compresses into a small sack when not in use. I only use it when camping, not in the MH as I have a fixed bed. They are great IF you get the right sort. Like Minxy Girl said they are terrible if you want to turn over but I use mine fully unzipped just like a duvet. Mine has a flannelette material on the inside and is nice and comfortable, and compresses to approx 14" roll. I have had it a lot of years so can't remember the make etc but it certainly takes up very little space.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Forgot...we've got an Outwell Collaps silicone folding kettle. We use an electric kettle for preference when on hook up but this fold to about the size of a book and takes up little space in a drawer.. It doesn't smell or make the water taste and, after 3 years is still popping up and collapsing with no sign of wear. Not cheap but very good.
The collapsible kettle is excellent as is the bucket

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
glad you said that - just bought the Outwell collapsible kettle and was wondering how well it would perform :)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
glad you said that - just bought the Outwell collapsible kettle and was wondering how well it would perform :)

Boil it up full a couple of times before using it for drinks to get rid of the " newness".

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The squishing washing up bowls and buckets were £4.99 in B&M stores last time I was a few days ago, in but I can't remember where I saw the drainer racks previously unfortunately although I know they were cheaper than Lakeland but you can get them on Ebay anyway:

$_57.JPG

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
The draining racks were in B&M as well as the washing up bowls and buckets, last year.

I got 2 washing up bowls last year as they were such a good price ( one for a spare) but did not buy the drainer as it still needed a tray underneath and we have not worktop space for that. The bowl is specially made to fit in our van sink (!) and, after a year of use, is still working and washing fine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just come across this on Ebay ...it would be useful for those with limited workspace - we always struggled when we had to have the sink top open as the tap was inside it which meant that other than a lift up worktop flap had no other work space so having this would have been a very useful addition it would also be good a a pan stand too.

$_57.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The draining racks were in B&M as well as the washing up bowls and buckets, last year.

I got 2 washing up bowls last year as they were such a good price ( one for a spare) but did not buy the drainer as it still needed a tray underneath and we have not worktop space for that. The bowl is specially made to fit in our van sink (!) and, after a year of use, is still working and washing fine.
My thoughts too ... although you can just use a normal tray underneath which then serves another purpose! I've got a dish drainer with tray that clips on which is ideal ... cost me all of 50c from a car boot sale in France! Similar to the below when not in use it just hangs on the back of the wardrobe door on a couple of hooks.

BSE180-GREEN.JPG

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Just come across this on Ebay ...it would be useful for those with limited workspace - we always struggled when we had to have the sink top open as the tap was inside it which meant that other than a lift up worktop flap had no other work space so having this would have been a very useful addition it would also be good a a pan stand too.

I've just ordered one of these- from an Amazon firm as I couldn't get the linked one to accept payment. It looks just the job for over our sink to hold pans or the washing up bowl when you want to drain something into the sink. NB there are 2 sizes on offer. I usually put the washing up bowl down at the top of the steps in front of the hab door but, after accidentally kicking it through the open door and onto the tarmac outside, am a bit more careful. Tick VG for cheap French Luminarc plates though; not one of them even chipped.

Thanks very much for the link.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've just ordered one of these- from an Amazon firm as I couldn't get the linked one to accept payment. It looks just the job for over our sink to hold pans or the washing up bowl when you want to drain something into the sink. NB there are 2 sizes on offer. I usually put the washing up bowl down at the top of the steps in front of the hab door but, after accidentally kicking it through the open door and onto the tarmac outside, am a bit more careful. Tick VG for cheap French Luminarc plates though; not one of them even chipped.

Thanks very much for the link.

Where did you get the Luminarc plates? They look similar to Correlle in the catalogue, are they?

Denise

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
They are made from the same materials and by the same process as Corelle. We got ours in several places : French hypermarkets always have them ( Arcoroc as well as Luminarc but they look the same ) , we got matching dishes from China ( as in Chinese) shops in Catral and I bought some dinner plates in Tesco years ago.

There are not so many patterns as Corelle. The Spanish versions are usually either plain black or plain white, some with frilly edges but I have seen patterns in the Arcoroc factory shop near the aire in Arques. They are the same crockery as used in Spanish and French cafes and restaurants so very durable and cheap. We have dinner plates, side plates, pasta and cereal bowls and they are usually about a euro each.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
They are made from the same materials and by the same process as Corelle. We got ours in several places : French hypermarkets always have them ( Arcoroc as well as Luminarc but they look the same ) , we got matching dishes from China ( as in Chinese) shops in Catral and I bought some dinner plates in Tesco years ago.

There are not so many patterns as Corelle. The Spanish versions are usually either plain black or plain white, some with frilly edges but I have seen patterns in the Arcoroc factory shop near the aire in Arques. They are the same crockery as used in Spanish and French cafes and restaurants so very durable and cheap. We have dinner plates, side plates, pasta and cereal bowls and they are usually about a euro each.

Wow! that was a quick reply. Many thanks. Will certainly be looking out for them when we go to France later this year. We're absolutely fed up with melamine plates!

Looked at their online catalogue and it says they can go from fridge to microwave oven, but what about gas oven for a minute or two to warm?

Denise

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I don't heat them in the oven Denise but have put them in the grill compartment over the top of the hot oven and always put them on the rack balanced on top of the Remoska when that is on. I also balance them on the same rack on top of pans when using them. In other words, they do get hot but I've never put them into a hot oven. Can' t see why not though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back