Question which size quilt cover and what size memory foam
Making a pair of singles

Thanks in advance

Ta N

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I used 2 single quilt covers to make the cover and cut a double foam mattress in 2 to make the mattress.

I left the 2 duvet covers as they were even down to using the original buttons and button holes along the bottom . We use 2 single beds and so the bottom ( mattress cover) duvet is wider than the mattress. I left the spare piece to the side of the mattress and it tucks neatly under the seat cushion to protect it overnight. I sewed down it so the mattress is held firmly in its own " tube".

If you are making single bed ones then remember they should be mirror images. This annoys me with the Duvalay covers as they are identical and so the long zip on my cover is in the small of my back, inside the cover. My OHs cover has the zip on the outside.

There is a very good article on the net somewhere about making your own. Here:

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Sorry...the link doesn't work...rather petty ??

I should have made it clear that I used 4 single duvet covers in all for 2 duvalay covers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bubble63
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I used 2 single quilt covers to make the cover and cut a double foam mattress in 2 to make the mattress.

I left the 2 duvet covers as they were even down to using the original buttons and button holes along the bottom . We use 2 single beds and so the bottom ( mattress cover) duvet is wider than the mattress. I left the spare piece to the side of the mattress and it tucks neatly under the seat cushion to protect it overnight. I sewed down it so the mattress is held firmly in its own " tube".

If you are making single bed ones then remember they should be mirror images. This annoys me with the Duvalay covers as they are identical and so the long zip on my cover is in the small of my back, inside the cover. My OHs cover has the zip on the outside.

There is a very good article on the net somewhere about making your own.

Thanks (y)
I thought somebody suggested sewing a cover up the middle and inserting foam and quilt

I will have a google:)

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
This annoys me with the Duvalay covers as they are identical and so the long zip on my cover is in the small of my back, inside the cover. My OHs cover has the zip on the outside.
We have 2 single Duvalay covers and it is easy to mirror them - we just turn one inside out -just means a little more difficult to zip/unzip as zipper is on inside but so much more comfortable to sleep in and get out of bed!

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
We have 2 single Duvalay covers and it is easy to mirror them - we just turn one inside out -just means a little more difficult to zip/unzip as zipper is on inside but so much more comfortable to sleep in and get out of bed!

This I do but, as you say, the zip on one cover is always inside the bed roll and I find it can be quite hard and rough to lie on. Making your own you can make a left and a right hand version with the zip in the outside for both.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks (y)
I thought somebody suggested sewing a cover up the middle and inserting foam and quilt

That might have been me ... I'd use a king-size duvet cover for each one: sew down from top to bottom just the right width for a single duvet to fit in, (53-55" depending on duvet manufacturer) then the remainder, approx 24-27" is for the memory foam bit - use a double memory foam topper cut it half for this. If you want to make it easier to get the topper in/out for washing (it grips like mad!) make a smaller cover for it to go in before you put it in the new 'duvalay' type cover. If the cover is still too big for the memory foam sew another seam from top to bottom to keep it in place.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Thanks (y)

This would work too, though I wouldn't sew it up the middle as the mattress is narrower than the quilt.

I just happened to have spare single cotton duvet covers as I bought a set of Duvalay,s own covers to put our own goose down quilts and the memory foam mattresses we already had into.

The system is fantastic and very much more comfortable than simple quilts and mattresses but I dislike Duvalays poly cotton covers and prefer the down quilts we have rather than synthetic. We also have 2 of the Duvalay bags which work well as we keep the bedrolls under the bench seat.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
That might have been me ... I'd use a king-size duvet cover for each one: sew down from top to bottom just the right width for a single duvet to fit in, (53-55" depending on duvet manufacturer) then the remainder, approx 24-27" is for the memory foam bit - use a double memory foam topper cut it half for this. If you want to make it easier to get the topper in/out for washing (it grips like mad!) make a smaller cover for it to go in before you put it in the new 'duvalay' type cover. If the cover is still too big for the memory foam sew another seam from top to bottom to keep it in place.

Do you sew along the bottom ? I do like the bag bit that this forms. I hate sleeping bags but this is just right as it stops your feet sticking out !

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just done a quick diagram of what I'm talking about!

home made Duvalay.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do you sew along the bottom ? I do like the bag bit that this forms. I hate sleeping bags but this is just right as it stops your feet sticking out !
If you want to have it sewn at the bottom you'd need to use the duvet cover upside down, so that the pop-closers are at the top however as a king size duvet cover is longer than a single quilt you would be able to fold the pop-closures over at the top, as you would the top of a sheet in bed, so that they aren't 'in your face'! As you'd be using a larger cover in the first place though I doubt your feet would stick out in any case - best bet would be try it first and then sew the end up if needs be.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
This is the critical bit from the post I linked to above explaining how to get the pocketed bottom: ( thanks to OP on another forum to which I could not link....)

"So how are they constructed - very simply - take 2 single duvet covers and arrange long sides together and Machine sew leaving 15" at top end not sewn, *Maybe a couple of passes down long side for strength*
along the bottom edge you now have both openings Top one for Duvet and Bottom one for Memory Foam. I decided to stitch Middle two edges at bottom together to seal botttom edge but still enable Duvet and Memory foam to be easilly removed. these were stitched about 2 " from bottom to allow both pockets to be able to be Buttoned or press studded together."

The covers I used were buttoned and I used the original holes and buttons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back