Advice please on fitting A class silver screens (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
The Rapido we've just bbought came with brand new silver screens (Thermoval) made for Rapido. There are no fittings on the van but there are clip-on buttons in the bag and it looks like we have to drill holes in the van to fix them (gulp).
They are very heavy and fit very snugly when we held them in place by it looks like they could slip.

We've read the debate about the pros and cons of silver screens on Fun and we are firmly in the camp that uses them but are loath to drill holes in a new van. So any advice or the benefit of experience offered would be greatly appreciated to sort out our dilemma.:smiley:

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
If it's a new van, why don't you ask your dealer what you're supposed to do with them. Did they not cover this during the handover?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Are they drilled fixings or are they glue on ones? We had some glue on ones on one of our vans - looked like big press studs on the screen.

Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
You could ask the dealer to refund the cost as chances are you will have paid for them in the price of your new motorhome, you don't get anything for free these days or am I just cynical? Or as they are the genuine Rapido screens you could sell them and buy a set of Silver screens or Taylormade screens. I believe the OEM Rapido screens come in at about ÂŁ600 and the after market ones are less than half that and use the passenger door and the drivers sliding window to hold them on. Also the silver screens are not heavy at all. JMTW (y)

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

I have only had these on the once but only took seconds to fit once I worked out what end was what.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Without knowing the model of van you have, when we were tin tenting I didn't want to drill the body to fit the wheel cover awing skirt and instead used suckers which held the skirt securely, just a thought if there is room.

I simply attached the stud fitting onto the sucker using SS screws

The suckers turned out to be extremely strong and never popped off any time they were used

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
It's a very fustrating problem. I had the same issues when I purchased an external screen for my Carthago. Once unpacked it appeared gravity was going to keep it in place. I sourced 6 heavy duty suckers as used by windscreen fitters. They are about 2 inches in diameter and after using them through the winter the screen never moved. I live high up on a hill with proper winds and it stayed on fine. You'll find these heavy duty suckers on Ebay. Good luck.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
The Rapido we've just bbought came with brand new silver screens (Thermoval) made for Rapido. There are no fittings on the van but there are clip-on buttons in the bag and it looks like we have to drill holes in the van to fix them (gulp).
They are very heavy and fit very snugly when we held them in place by it looks like they could slip.

We've read the debate about the pros and cons of silver screens on Fun and we are firmly in the camp that uses them but are loath to drill holes in a new van. So any advice or the benefit of experience offered would be greatly appreciated to sort out our dilemma.:smiley:

What are the cons ? Blocking light? Hoping to get some so interested as to what cons might be?

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
You could ask the dealer to refund the cost as chances are you will have paid for them in the price of your new motorhome, you don't get anything for free these days or am I just cynical? Or as they are the genuine Rapido screens you could sell them and buy a set of Silver screens or Taylormade screens. I believe the OEM Rapido screens come in at about ÂŁ600 and the after market ones are less than half that and use the passenger door and the drivers sliding window to hold them on. Also the silver screens are not heavy at all. JMTW (y)

Thanks think we'll get Silver screens as we have experience of them and like you say are light, these things are really heavy

I have only had these on the once but only took seconds to fit once I worked out what end was what.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Highly recommend silverscreens. I phoned them up with details of the (A class) van and they said no problem. Paid and delivered within three days. Guess what? Fitted perfectly!

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
What are the cons ? Blocking light? Hoping to get some so interested as to what cons might be?
Cons are blocking view and being difficult to put on if vehicle is high. We've never had problems with height because up to now have had low profile vans. As for blocking out light we always take ours off during day but they were Silver screens and very light. The ones with this van are extremely heavy and it would take
two of us to put them on (me on a ladder!!!) so a lot of hassle. Will be looking for some Silverscreens because they are light, hard wearing and very effective.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Probably just as easy to fit the silverscreens on our A class as it was on the coachbuilt. Start at the passenger door and work round, remembering to lift the windscreen wipers first, fit slightly higher and pull tight.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you don't want to drill holes why not use sikflex.
Our Hymer ones fit in channels around the top & rear of the door/side window, they were fitted by the dealer.

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Thanks for all your advice Funsters, have ordered Silverscreens today. Spoke to a very nice lady Ruth who is going to try to get them to us next week so we have them for our trip to France. What a great service. A bonus is that they don't charge to deliver to the IOW :smiley:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I sourced 6 heavy duty suckers as used by windscreen fitters.
I have just searched on Amazon for 'Suckers with Studs' - you wouldn't believe what Amazon thought I wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
s_shocked-18.gif
s_shocked-18.gif
s_shocked-18.gif

Any chance you could post a link to where you got them. Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Suggest you have a look at your sales receipt and see if you've been charged for the screens, if so go back to the dealer and demand a refund!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have just searched on Amazon for 'Suckers with Studs' - you wouldn't believe what Amazon thought I wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!
s_shocked-18.gif
s_shocked-18.gif
s_shocked-18.gif

Any chance you could post a link to where you got them. Thanks.

Search in "sucker pads" in eBay brings up a good selection for you (y)

Reactions: f6c
N

Nobody

Deleted User

Hi i'm after one of these screens myself for hymer 644 do you have any details for a contact so i can buy one thanks Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back