LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We travel extensively with our 2 dogs quite happily through Europe and usually via the Channel tunnel, which leaves quite a bit of latitude for the return leg in terms of 'seeing the vet between 24 hrs and 120 hrs etc, etc' We always try to see a vet away from the ports as they tend to be cheaper. This time we've decided to travel from Santander to Portsmouth, pet friendly cabin booked and as we're in the Algarve, we've found a vet en route in Elvas who can do the necessaries and we can arrive at Santander in good time. We've been looking at the recent cancellations and changes of departures from Santander to Bilboa and are wondering how this affects those of us who are constrained by DEFRA rules in terms of pets. If we have our dogs 'done' at a vet and the ferry is delayed/cancelled which then takes us outside the 120 hours, what happens?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You need to get another treatment and the 24-120 hour window restarts.

OP
OP
Kim H

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
You need to get another treatment and the 24-120 hour window restarts.
Not really what I wanted to hear but thank you. I haven't looked into it myself, because I've never needed to, but I can't imagine that it would be good for a dog to have 2 doses of worm treatment in such close succession?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a vets virtually outside the entrance to Santander port though I haven't used it. The vets we have used were in San Vicente de la Barquera (coords: N43.387788, W004.399491, Tel: +34 985870489) where they speak excellent English and we had our dog wormed and examined for 20 euros. It is a bit west of Santander.

Using a vet a bit closer to Santander should reduce the possibility of needing a second treatment as you can have it done the day before you sail. In theory you could get it done the same day as you won't arrive for another day but you might meet a jobsworth who insists on 24 hours before departure. And they do turn away dogs at Santander if the documentation is wrong. It happened to folk in front of us once.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not really what I wanted to hear but thank you

Best advice generally, not just in your possible situation, is to not work too close to either end of the window.

We usually aim to find a vet 2-3 days before the journey back which gives us plenty of leeway.

OP
OP
Kim H

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Best advice generally, not just in your possible situation, is to not work too close to either end of the window.

We usually aim to find a vet 2-3 days before the journey back which gives us plenty of leeway.
That's exactly what we've done, we're seeing a vet in Elvas 2 days before our sailing, however I think Storm Katie has thrown a spanner in the works lately and we're unsure what would happen if the ships aren't where they should be!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's exactly what we've done, we're seeing a vet in Elvas 2 days before our sailing, however I think Storm Katie has thrown a spanner in the works lately and we're unsure what would happen if the ships aren't where they should be!

I see what you mean. I suppose from there you don't really have the option to cross from somewhere else either.

Can you speak to the ferry company before you go to the vet and see if they can give you any indication of likely problems? If they say yes, you're definitely going to be delayed by 48 hours you can delay the vet.

They might even be able to give you a solution. Just an idea, no idea if they would, but maybe they will let you go through pet passport and check in and then camp inside the port until they can get you on a boat.

Got to be worth a phone call.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just a thought but there may be a minimum period between tapeworm treatments. In other words would a vet treat if the dog had been dosed only 5 days earlier?

If they will it might still be advisable to take an XL box of poo bags on the ferry! :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just a thought but there may be a minimum period between tapeworm treatments. In other words would a vet treat if the dog had been dosed only 5 days earlier?

If they will it might still be advisable to take an XL box of poo bags on the ferry! :)

I don't think so. They never ask that question.

I used to regularly treat my dogs myself as a lot of people do. I've mentioned it to several vets in the past and they've all said it doesn't matter. My regular vet here has told me to not bother treating them here if we travel 3 or 4 times a year, which we do, but only because there's no point in paying for the tablets, not because it would harm the dogs.

OP
OP
Kim H

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I see what you mean. I suppose from there you don't really have the option to cross from somewhere else either.

Can you speak to the ferry company before you go to the vet and see if they can give you any indication of likely problems? If they say yes, you're definitely going to be delayed by 48 hours you can delay the vet.

They might even be able to give you a solution. Just an idea, no idea if they would, but maybe they will let you go through pet passport and check in and then camp inside the port until they can get you on a boat.

Got to be worth a phone call.
We're looking daily at the info for Brittany Ferries and so far it looks ok for our crossing, if it doesn't, we'll cancel vet and rebook for a time that suits DEFRA! I just wondered if anyone had come across this before when the dogs were 'done' and 'Katie' bu££ers' it up :(

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The worm tablets work within a few hours and are out of their system in a day, so, extra treatments should be ok.
I don't think any ferry company will take your dog if it isn't wormed at least 24 hours before you travel, regardless of the time you arrive in the UK.
These are DEFRA rules, not the alleged "jobsworth"

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The worm tablets work within a few hours and are out of their system in a day, so, extra treatments should be ok.
I don't think any ferry company will take your dog if it isn't wormed at least 24 hours before you travel, regardless of the time you arrive in the UK.
These are DEFRA rules, not the alleged "jobsworth"
The DEFRA rules refer to " arrival" in the UK, not departure from the port. But I can't seem to find anything about a minimum period between treatments. Four times a year is fine but 5 days? The treatment is a toxic chemical which kills the worm and I did find it can be repeated after 28 days but nothing on a shorter frequency.

This shouldn't be a problem if you know when the ferry is leaving but I might ask my vet the next time I see them. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I asked the Question of them last year . This is the email reply.

Our reference PT 17229
Dear Mr López,

Thank you for your email received on 23rd May 2015.

Dog should be treated against tapeworm no less than 24hrs and no more than 120hrs prior to the expected arrival time in the UK. However where dogs have cleared check-in and the 120 hours will be exceeded during the journey or while waiting to board the vessel or aircraft animals will be allowed to travel provided that the animal will not leave the vessel, vehicle or transport crate after check-in.

Hope this helps.

& yes due to the fact that Spanish dogs have to be treated every 3 months I have had a 3 monthly one done then had to have him done for the passport shortly after.

OP
OP
Kim H

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
The DEFRA rules refer to " arrival" in the UK, not departure from the port. But I can't seem to find anything about a minimum period between treatments. Four times a year is fine but 5 days? The treatment is a toxic chemical which kills the worm and I did find it can be repeated after 28 days but nothing on a shorter frequency.

This shouldn't be a problem if you know when the ferry is leaving but I might ask my vet the next time I see them. :)
Thank you @DBK this was exactly my thought. Regardless of DEFRA rules, which we will comply to, what happens in the 'what if' scenario?

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
However where dogs have cleared check-in and the 120 hours will be exceeded during the journey or while waiting to board the vessel or aircraft animals will be allowed to travel provided that the animal will not leave the vessel, vehicle or transport crate after check-in.

That's the critical bit there.

As long as they let you check in you should be OK. If it's a longer delay and they won't accept you then you have the problem.

OP
OP
Kim H

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
That's the critical bit there.

As long as they let you check in you should be OK. If it's a longer delay and they won't accept you then you have the problem.
Agreed. We can't control the weather, and as this is our first time 'battling' the weather, since we usually go back through the tunnel, it occurred to us that it wasn't quite so easy! At the end of the day, we'll do what we have to do vet wise, but hopefully the plans we've put in place will work. Thanks for the responses and see you at Peterbourgh (hopefully on our way home!)

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
CHANGE OF PHONE NUMBER
The vet at Forges Les Eaux ( Mr Patrick)
Will be changing his telephone number from the end of April 16
the new number will be 0235900505
His address is the same.

We have two labs and he has always been excellent
he speaks very good English

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
We are travelling in the tunnel and going up the mossel valley but only for 2 weeks, so we are having the passport and jab done end of June ready for travel in July,and was told the rabies jab will last 3 years, do we have worming done before we go and when we return, what is the recommendations between each worming treatment, we was going to look for a vet in Koblenz, which will be around 2 to 3 days before the return leg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We are travelling in the tunnel and going up the mossel valley but only for 2 weeks, so we are having the passport and jab done end of June ready for travel in July,and was told the rabies jab will last 3 years, do we have worming done before we go and when we return, what is the recommendations between each worming treatment, we was going to look for a vet in Koblenz, which will be around 2 to 3 days before the return leg

No need to do it before you go, you only need to get it done 24-120 hours before you come back to the UK. Make sure the vet fills in the date and time properly because they will check it down to the minute when you check in.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g

This Google Map (put together by @KeithChesterfield ) might help you find a vet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back