Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just got my first toll tag and instructions say it must be fitted in the mottled area of windscreen. Just wondering if anyone knew the reason ..Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It probably won't matter for most motorhomes.

It's more for cars that have anti glare coatings on their windscreens. This coating can interfere with the signal from the tag. The mottled area, where the rear view mirror usually is fitted, doesn't have the coating.

I've stuck mine in that area anyway, next to the dash cam, just because it's out of the way there.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I think that refers to car windscreens which may have heated screens etc so that the signal is not interrupted. My Hymer doesn't have a mottled area, I just stuck it in the middle and it works fine!

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got an A class, so stuck it high up, out of the way
Not had any problems

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Thanks ,I have put it up behind mirror on the mottled section as per instructions and your invaluable advice..Roy

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just remembered that on a couple of occasions, the barrier hasn't lifted up. So we removed the tag from the holder and showed it to the attendant (via the camera on the pay machine)
Sometimes we had to mention that we had a Liber-t Tag (they didn't seem to understand Sanef Tag)

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
I fitted my tag as per instructions and once it did not work , I noticed on several lorries that it was mounted at the bottom of the windscreen so moved mine there and no further problems but sometimes there is a delay of a couple of seconds before the barrier goes up

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just got my first toll tag and instructions say it must be fitted in the mottled area of windscreen. Just wondering if anyone knew the reason ..Roy
I may be stating the obvious but, when approaching the toll booths and looking for the "tag" sign, remember that some Tag lanes have height restrictions.

I only mention it because, on at least one occasion, I was fixed on spotting the Tag lane and only realised at the last minute that the lane I was in had a 2metre height limit. Just managed to avoid converting the m/h into a cabriolet by switching lanes with about 15 metres to go.

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
I believe its 3 metres high and no above 3500kg. So my question is apart from getting a tape out. In motorhome brochures when it states height does that include roof lights. Also would 5cms over 3m get through without the alarm bells ringing.
Just a thought. Thanks

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I believe its 3 metres high and no above 3500kg. So my question is apart from getting a tape out. In motorhome brochures when it states height does that include roof lights. Also would 5cms over 3m get through without the alarm bells ringing.
Just a thought. Thanks
Wondered that myself. My van is 2.95m high according to Pilote but also have a satellite dome. Would that affect the height detection? @Robert Clark , I think that your van is taller than mine anyway?

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Hi David I was looking at an Crystop dish which has just come out and they say 11 cms when folded. Yes I know that sounds very low. My new van when it comes in June will be 2.95 m like you. At present I have a dome at 40 cms high.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wondered that myself. My van is 2.95m high according to Pilote but also have a satellite dome. Would that affect the height detection? @Robert Clark , I think that your van is taller than mine anyway?
We're just 3m high
Not sure that height detection is activated when you use a tag

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
We're just 3m high
Not sure that height detection is activated when you use a tag
There are height detectors my van is just over 3m and I get through most at class 2 but have been refused a couple of times just press the button and say your a camping car it might work.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We're over the weight and height and only got caught twice recently. Our tag is great but because we have an overcab(??) it works better at the base of the windscreen.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We're over the weight and height and only got caught twice recently. Our tag is great but because we have an overcab(??) it works better at the base of the windscreen.
What happened when you got caught?
How did they catch you, was it on height?
How tall are you ?
Hope you don't mind me asking

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
How tall are you ?
Yes on height it is when you get to the exit booth the tag is refused and you have to pay by card or cash normally class 4 rate. A tag is well worth it for me as i am 5 ton and 3.10m high. You can always press the button and argue with them.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes on height it is when you get to the exit booth the tag is refused and you have to pay by card or cash normally class 4 rate. A tag is well worth it for me as i am 5 ton and 3.10m high. You can always press the button and argue with them.
That's good - I'll use the car tag then.......

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's good - I'll use the car tag then.......

That's what you would have to do anyway.

The tag is linked to you personally, not any specific vehicle. You can put it in anything you like and the barrier system decides what to charge you based on what it detects.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's what you would have to do anyway.

The tag is linked to you personally, not any specific vehicle. You can put it in anything you like and the barrier system decides what to charge you based on what it detects.
Yep, that is what I intended - I just phrased it rather poorly.......... Good of them to supply two clips with it as well (y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
How tall are you ?
Nothing happened.. it was on a couple of the newer toll booths.. we just chucked a credit card in and paid the next class. (In the past we have pressed help and whined but on both these occasions we were in the 30kmh lane.
We are 3.2m high and substantially over the 3.5 tonnes limit.
I'm not sure but I think on these new ones you may be weighed and have height checked.
We used over 10 toll booths last time we were there and 2 got us.
Previously we only got stopped once and we moaned into the help speaker to be allowed through.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back