LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the value of the Euro against the Pound if we vote to leave the EU in June. Debating whether to buy some Euros now or sit tight and see what happens.(n)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If we leave and especially if other countries succumb to the demands of their populace to hold referenda, I would expect the euro would drop substantially. Of course its anyones guess whether the pound would go down or up.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh...... for a crystal ball. :D
Indeed. :)

But an out vote would be seen as creating uncertainty so the value of the pound would probably drop. Rightly or not, this is how it tends to work.

However, opinion polls leading up to the referendum might point to the actual result so a sudden reaction in exchange rates would be unlikely, unless the result was unexpected! :)

Which brings us back to:

Oh...... for a crystal ball. :D[/QUOTE

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
In times of the £ yo-yoing such as now and I need Emus I generally hedge my bets by buying half now and half when I go. That way it cushons the final blow by 50%.
Already bought half just in case.
The pound will have a bumpy ride after we come out of EU.
But we,ev been here befor so
LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY.

Apr 14, 2015
Prone
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Any uncertainty causes short term jitters but, if Britain votes to leave it's unlikely to cause any long term issues. There are those who believe that a UK exit may bring about the demise of the euro in the long term. Certainly it hasn't done the Southern European countries much good. Its main purpose seems to be keeping the German economy in good heart.

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
I do worry that if we stay in, will we still have the pound? Can anyone be sure we won't have the Euro forced on us? An in vote means no more need for UK concessions and we my well have to toe the line. Border concessions are also a worry.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We don't just "leave" Europe, we have to negotiate our exit, this will not be plain sailing and could take three years or more, we could not expect any favours and we will not be given them. Although EU law says a free trade agreement must be made with any member state who leaves.

Personally I don't think we will leave although I think we should, the forecasters reckon on about 33% in favour of Brexit at the mo. HSBC are forecasting a 15% - 20% decline in the GBP to Euro rate if we leave, it will be up and down like a tarts draws till the decision is made, and if HSBC are right, in the aftermath, close to parity if we leave!

If the will was there, according to some brains, Britain could technically leave the EU in a single day. Legislatively, this would be achieved simply by repealing the European Communities Act 1972 and its attendant Amendment Acts through a single clause Bill passing through Westminster.

So, in answer to the OP, it largely depends on whether your a gambling man or not, and if you think we will or won't leave! If you think we will leave buy now, if you think we will stay, then don't as the rate will probably get better. That's what I reckon me old China!!

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I'm only interested short term because I'm deliberating whether to buy some Eros now or later for a two month trip later in the year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I'm only interested short term because I'm deliberating whether to buy some Eros now or later for a two month trip later in the year
Buy some "Eros" now that could be a hard one!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
My Clarity card gives me the inter bank rate anyway, don't get wrapped up in saving pennies, it's very convenient, drawing cash over more than two months cost me a tenner in interest which was covered by the better averaged exchange rate of about 1.29/1.30, Caxton and FairFX were giving 1.23/1.27.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
As I have posted before the powers that be WILL NOT LET US LEAVE THE E.U no matter how we vote.
I am prepared to accept the possibility of currency fluctuations. It just makes me more determined to exit the EU. Europe doesn't work,they have a completely different mode of thought to ours and it is impossible to unite these countries in such a short space of time. However I fear that this post could be true. Only one way to find out! Vote OUT

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Polls are unreliable - people poll with their hearts and vote with their wallets. Newspapers who run polls are mostly running articles favouring the Leave side. They are not neutral. The bookies are still the most reliable forecasters and they reckon we will stay in.

Should the vote be to leave, then expect the pound to slide on uncertainty, followed by a sharp rise as a million expats sell Euros and move back into Sterling in preparation for a return to the UK, in fear of losing their foreign medical benefits. On that basis, what we need for forecasting is an index of the price of bungalows - pity there isn't one.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Its been around 127 for quite a while now having declined from 143 last Nov. I think it unlikely to go back above 130 but I watch my revolut app daily for any surprises. At least with Revolut you get the interbank rate not the muppet on the street rate :LOL:
Got some today at the muppet street rate of 124....3cents is not going to break the bank.;)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Polls are unreliable - people poll with their hearts and vote with their wallets. Newspapers who run polls are mostly running articles favouring the Leave side. They are not neutral. The bookies are still the most reliable forecasters and they reckon we will stay in.

Should the vote be to leave, then expect the pound to slide on uncertainty, followed by a sharp rise as a million expats sell Euros and move back into Sterling in preparation for a return to the UK, in fear of losing their foreign medical benefits. On that basis, what we need for forecasting is an index of the price of bungalows - pity there isn't one.
And the added strain on the NHS when they come back . And councils when they apply for their free bus pass lol

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It won't make a scrap of difference to genuine expats if the UK comes out or stays in. Only the duckers and divers will be affected. Pensioners will still be welcomed on the Costa's just as they were when Franco was boss. Any genuine traveller will have insurance so no problems there. Why anyone can think Johny Foreigner will suddenly not want your money beggar's belief.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I changed some over today its better to get some at 1.24 than 1.04 but who knows it may go back to 1.40

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
the sooner this referendum over the better! The whole thing a load of Tory nonsense made up to placate right wing of Torys...If you think we are going anywhere you need a reality check...General public not that daft thank God...Jeez no wonder they don't want the young to be able to vote:censored:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
the sooner this referendum over the better! The whole thing a load of Tory nonsense made up to placate right wing of Torys...If you think we are going anywhere you need a reality check...General public not that daft thank God...Jeez no wonder they don't want the young to be able to vote:censored:
Let's hope you're wrong ...
Sooner were out of it the better imho (along with other daft mop's)
16+ should be able to vote tho

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back