Camper contact app question re aires (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hi just bought the excellent camper contact app recommended by scotjim and have a question
We are anxious to avoid the service stations that are considered dangerous. Are they just the ones beside motorways? Are they somehow indicated on the site?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, it's usually just motorway ones but that's only opinion and they won't be marked as "Dangerous" or anything else because a lot of people are happy to use them.

You've really got to go with your instincts. If you arrive somewhere and don't feel comfortable then don't stay there. There will be somewhere else just up the road. We've done that once.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes it's the ones just besides the motorways that I'd avoid
If you use the map view to show sites in your chosen country, you will instantly identify the ones next to motorways.
It's also worth considering downloading the free offline maps, which you can use when you have no internet connection
Happy travels !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Campercontact won't send you to a service station type aire, only the proper ones, if you have a data connection or WiFi on the same device you can see the position of the suggested aire on a map, or you can download the maps before you travel if you have the space on the device.

Martin

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I believe they are the ones dotted along the Motorway network and they are fine if you just wanting to stop for an hour break or so, but the Aires in the villages and towns built to overnight in, are as safe as can be reasonably expected.

I have stayed overnight in both and I take reasonable precautions. No need to take the Muzzle off the Pit-Bull or wire the door handles up to the mains just keep your wits about you and a loaded 12 Gauge under your pillow. :wink:

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Stay away from any with Lorries on them
I have a theory
Who can hide in full view, have no reason to run away if challenged, have all the right answers and a reason to be there!!
Lorry drivers and they only steal cash so non of it traceable;)
Thats why Motorway Services are so risky(y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Also if you read the reviews before visiting an Aire you may well read reports of trouble, or if the campers feelt safe.

As @Popeye says, just take simple precautions and you should have no problems

And if you leave a review after visiting an Aire then you are helping future visitors too

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have used hundreds of Aires and only a couple did I not feel comfortable in. The French campers and to a lesser extent the Dutch and lesser extent the Germans (bless them all) will go to a free aire no matter where it is or how far out of their route it is. So you can usually guarantee there will be at least one French van on an aire somewhere! And you can do the French method of camping to feel safe, snuggle up really close to the only van on the aire, if that only van is French, they won't bat an eyelid (y)

As a guide I never use Aires in the centres of big cities in Italy, Spain or Portugal only campsites. It's not worth the risk, as vehicle crime is often quite rife, especially if you leave your van unattended. Certain French cities I would also use a campsite.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
CamperContact does list what is calls services areas where you can dump waste and take on water but not stay overnight. These might typically be at a garage.

It is worth experimenting with the filter function as this will weed out locations you might not wish to visit, for example ones without water.

Doing this from memory, from the opening screen press All Sites then on the next page, where you should see a list of local aires click on Filter in the top left.

The next page shows a list of criteria you can use but I doubt you will need more than two or three.

Select type first and then say aires (motorhome parkings) and campsites then click on Continue in the top right.

Click on country & Region and then select France. It will show your all the separate departments but I suggest click the top line and select all of them

Click on continue twice then select facilities. I find if you select emptying toilet it will weed out all the Aires which are just car parks. You can select other things as well if you want then when you've finished click on continue.

You might then like to select only the higher rated aires. 7 or above is a good start.

When you've finished click on show results and when these appear click on Map to show them all on the map. :)

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
CamperContact does list what is calls services areas where you can dump waste and take on water but not stay overnight. These might typically be at a garage.

It is worth experimenting with the filter function as this will weed out locations you might not wish to visit, for example ones without water.

Doing this from memory, from the opening screen press All Sites then on the next page, where you should see a list of local aires click on Filter in the top left.

The next page shows a list of criteria you can use but I doubt you will need more than two or three.

Select type first and then say aires and campsites then click on Continue in the top right.

Click on Region and then select France. It will show your all the separate departments but I suggest click the top line and select all of them

Click on continue then select facilities. I find if you select emptying toilet it will weed out all the Aires which are just car parks. You can select other things as well if you want then when you've finished click on continue.

You might then like to select only the higher rated aires. 7 or above is a good start.

When you've finished click on show results and when these appear click on Map to show them all on the map. :)
Try doing all that with an Aires book
Your fingers couldn't cope

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Usually on the 'motorways' they are signed as 'Aire de Repos'.
Village Aires are best, the villages can be interesting and you will usually be able to get bread, or a van will turn up in the morning with bread and croissants etc.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Another app I have been using in Spain and Portugal is the French app: park4night. www.park4night.com If you can get around the French translations and its slight idiosyncrasies, it does have quite a few unofficial and off the grid parking sites listed with comments. Camper contact only lists official aires & sites, so using both can be useful. I would not recommend going miles out of your way for a park4night spot though, as being unofficial things are likely to change quickly, unless recently visited and accurately commented on !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Another app I have been using in Spain and Portugal is the French app: park4night. www.park4night.com If you can get around the French translations and its slight idiosyncrasies, it does have quite a few unofficial and off the grid parking sites listed with comments. Camper contact only lists official aires & sites, so using both can be useful. I would not recommend going miles out of your way for a park4night spot though, as being unofficial things are likely to change quickly, unless recently visited and accurately commented on !
Park4night is excellent and the writer is a member on here.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I have stayed overnight in both and I take reasonable precautions. No need to take the Muzzle off the Pit-Bull or wire the door handles up to the mains just keep your wits about you and a loaded 12 Gauge under your pillow. :wink:

Thats not nice muzzling poor old Olive Oil !!!!
You've no hope then ( keep your wits about you!!!)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just use common sense and have a good look around..broken glass around a car park a good indicator:(

I wont stay on french motorways end off!.....Far to many stories over the years.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Just use common sense and have a good look around..broken glass around a car park a good indicator:(

I wont stay on french motorways end off!.....Far to many stories over the years.
I'll add Broken glass (especially toughened vehicle window glass) doughnuts, condoms, drugs pariphinalia :) and anyone in a double axle caravan :Eeek:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Our eldest has a double axle caravan - an Avondale Landranger! It's bootiful - and so are they! We're having a family weekend with them in November to see the luminations etc at Longleat together with them and THEIR grandson. Staying on the CC site there since we are both members thereof.

So if it's their van with the double axles, you'll be fine! LOL

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Aire just means area. Motorway aires are for any vehicle. They are not 'aires de campingcar'. An aire de service is a service area. An aire de service campingcar is a MH service area...

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We stopped for a sleep on an autoroute aire once. Long drive at night got tired and stopped for a sleep (no dog proximity alarm at the time). Woke to find a white van parked close by and 2 guys out near the back of ours. Went back to their van when they realised we were awake. They didn't do anything but I know they were up to no good.
Loads don't have probs but that one experience put me off.
Also prior to meeting me the other half had a trailer emptied whilst parked on an autoroute aire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back