Clicking Fridge - Again, work around (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
On an Aire in Velez Rubio, it's gloriously hot and fridge back to click click clickety click! If I hold gas knob in it stops and burner is lit, but let go and it's off again. I've managed to hold the knob in to keep it going at least till it gets cooler later. Essential supplies (beer) will get too warm if not.

Any harm being done though, I'm wondering?

Dave

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Try turning the temp dial to its minimum (warm) for a few minutes once you get it lit. If we have ours turned right up to its coldest it won't stay lit. (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You'll do no harm. Holding the knob in pushes a small valve into position to allow gas flow. Once the gas ignites it heats up a clever device (thermocouple) that provides enough electricity to power a magnet that does what the pushed-in knob is doing. If the gas goes out, the thermocouple doesn't provide power, the little magnet releases and gas flow is stopped. It's worth checking the flame through the bottom vent if you can. It must heat the thermocouple - usually to red heat. Flakes of rust from the flue or a partially blocked jet can often look like a failed thermocouple. Mind you - so can a failed thermocouple :).

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks, seem to work with knob wedged in to have at least kept it cool. Turned off at night for safeties sake. I can't get to see flame or access working parts as no lower vent on outside on our B544, lower vent in floor. I need to take fridge out when home and take a look. Looking back on service history, it seems it's played up and been looked at quite a few times. It's always been tempremental, sometimes if I drive a bit with it clicking it settles and stops! Bizarre!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks, seem to work with knob wedged in to have at least kept it cool. Turned off at night for safeties sake. I can't get to see flame or access working parts as no lower vent on outside on our B544, lower vent in floor. I need to take fridge out when home and take a look. Looking back on service history, it seems it's played up and been looked at quite a few times. It's always been tempremental, sometimes if I drive a bit with it clicking it settles and stops! Bizarre!

I think there has to be a lower vent for the fridge to work properly. On the B544 I think you will find it either behind the rear grey bumper or horizontal in the floor underneath.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The safety issue is obvious & turning off at night a useful precaution. The small amount of gas from a fridge that's blown out will disappear via the drop vent anyway. If the 544 is like my 584 it has the lower vent through the floor. Interestingly on mine there is (almost) a lower vent in the conventional place (which on the 584 would be behind the bumper moulding). I say almost because it's there, cut out through the inner skin and insulation, but not through the outer aluminium skin.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The safety issue is obvious & turning off at night a useful precaution. The small amount of gas from a fridge that's blown out will disappear via the drop vent anyway. If the 544 is like my 584 it has the lower vent through the floor. Interestingly on mine there is (almost) a lower vent in the conventional place (which on the 584 would be behind the bumper moulding). I say almost because it's there, cut out through the inner skin and insulation, but not through the outer aluminium skin.
Ok only half a Boom!!!! then:rolleyes:
Thats a Boo still scary

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The safety issue is obvious & turning off at night a useful precaution.

It may not be obvious to everyone reading the post.. hence my warning, and whether the risk is high or low, a gas safety device should never be over-ridden.. if it wasn't required.. it wouldn't be fitted..

If there were a fire and or explosion resulting from it being overridden the insurance wouldn't pay out.. and if anyone were injured, the person who tampered with the valve would be held responsible... loss of life would result in manslaughter charges

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
While holding in the valve manually will get it to work and cause no damage to the fridge..

... it's unsafe to leave it wedged in,

if the flame gets blown out, gas will be building up behind the fridge... next time you try to light it may all go boom !

personally I wouldn't do this.. would rather suffer a warm fridge

Completely agree with you Jim and I only ran it like that for a couple of hours whilst sat very near keeping an eye on it. It was very hot at the time and food in danger of going off quickly not to mention beers getting warm.
It did seem to work OK though and If I turned the gas off whilst knob held in it did start clicking again but lit as soon as gas flowed again.

Job to do when home!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back