Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
just been quoted £800 for three years warranty through a large dealer in Nottingham. Two questions

Is there a big mark up the initial price because of the dealer?

Is the warranty worth the paper it is written on because of exclusions?

Vehicle is two years old with no problems at last Hab check a week ago.

All advice is welcome. Thank you

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If it helps we as an independent garage wont take on warranty work,
To best help you answer your question, have a ring round your local workshops to see how many, if any do ?
Are you aware of warranty pit falls, ie mechanical breakdown warranty does not include things that have worn out, they have to "break"
other small print stuff such as you pay for dismantling:rolleyes: and when inspected if the claim is denied your stuck with a motor in bits.
Experience has shown AA-RAC warranties are among the best.
Im sure others who have made claims will be along soon. but do check your local workshops with an imaginary fault, just to see what response you get first.
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
What are the exclusions?
Probably most things that go wrong. We had Silver Cover and we had an EGR Valve go on a previous Van and it wasnt covered but the dealler (Wellsbridge) did replace it themselves, also on current van the Throttle Gate went and it wasnt covered (SMC replaced it) Having said that I did get the Alternator replaced although it took a bit of discussion. We decided not to renew but at least we know if it goes wrong now its going to cost us rather then going through a will they wont they scenario. Also excludes things like the overcab insulation issue which we had to sort ourselves.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We bought our current van privately which came with an MBG warranty. We had a problem with a crankshaft positioning sensor, which in itself cost £50, but the labour to establish that the sensor was faulty and the subsequent labour to fit it cost a lot more. MBG said the sensor wasn't covered under the terms of our policy.
However, when the policy was about to expire, MBG got in touch and seemed very keen for me to extend it. I spoke to them on the phone and they asked why I hadn't extended to which I replied too expensive, and they'd refused my earlier claim. The dropped the price by £25 there and then but I still declined.

£800 is a lot of money. I bet if you rang MBG direct they wouldn't charge you that much.

Warranty Insurance is well and good till you have to claim and then you find out just how good.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I had a disappointing experience trying to claim from MB&G Warranty.

We bought a second-hand Rapido from a reputable dealer in March '10, and 12 months breakdown cover was included in the sale. The van was fully serviced and had 12 months MOT.

Four months later I noticed brake fluid running down the inside rear wheel of one of the tyres.

To cut a long story short, rear brakes on both sides had to be renewed (shoes and cylinders etc) - total cost at local garage about £240, which I didn't think was too unreasonable.

However, after much exchange of correspondence, the maximum MB&G would cough up was £80! The dealer was good enough to match that with another £80, and I settled the balance. But MB&G were completely unreasonable (in my opinion) and I only gave up the battle with them after about three letters, deciding life was too short...

Personally, I wouldn't do business with them again.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I had a disappointing experience trying to claim from MB&G Warranty.

We bought a second-hand Rapido from a reputable dealer in March '10, and 12 months breakdown cover was included in the sale. The van was fully serviced and had 12 months MOT.

Four months later I noticed brake fluid running down the inside rear wheel of one of the tyres.

To cut a long story short, rear brakes on both sides had to be renewed (shoes and cylinders etc) - total cost at local garage about £240, which I didn't think was too unreasonable.

However, after much exchange of correspondence, the maximum MB&G would cough up was £80! The dealer was good enough to match that with another £80, and I settled the balance. But MB&G were completely unreasonable (in my opinion) and I only gave up the battle with them after about three letters, deciding life was too short...

Personally, I wouldn't do business with them again.

Looks like they had you on the consequential damage clause
in your case they were prepared to cover the cost of the wheel cylinder that failed, but not the damage it caused ie the shoes etc
I wonder what they will pay for in a cam belt failure situation? A new belt £30:eek:
you find the other £1500:whistle:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Looks like they had you on the consequential damage clause
in your case they were prepared to cover the cost of the wheel cylinder that failed, but not the damage it caused ie the shoes etc
I wonder what they will pay for in a cam belt failure situation? A new belt £30:eek:
you find the other £1500:whistle:

Exactly so! Not covered for consequential damage.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
just been quoted £800 for three years warranty through a large dealer in Nottingham. Two questions

Is there a big mark up the initial price because of the dealer?

Is the warranty worth the paper it is written on because of exclusions?

Vehicle is two years old with no problems at last Hab check a week ago.

All advice is welcome. Thank you

had my engine go bang ( destroyed )
they paid a £1000 including vat
towards £4000 new engine
at £800 think i would pass
on the chance of saving £200

and i think it was mbg at the time
but it was thrown in with the van

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Like Geo we will not undertake insurance warranty work.

It often seems that nothing is covered, it takes too long to get approval and then we wait ages to get paid.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Under EU rules everything is guaranteed for 2 years . The first 6 months with who it was purchased from
( Unless local legislation offers greater benefits ) & the following 18 months direct with the manufacturer.

So in the UK's case the first 12 months would be with the dealer, under UK law, with the following 12 months through the dealer direct with manufacturer.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Under EU rules everything is guaranteed for 2 years . The first 6 months with who it was purchased from
( Unless local legislation offers greater benefits ) & the following 18 months direct with the manufacturer.

So in the UK's case the first 12 months would be with the dealer, under UK law, with the following 12 months through the dealer direct with manufacturer.
New, not second hand

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

The motorhome is two years old so this doesn't apply

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would also see what terms are required to keep the warranty valid there can be a big difference in Hab service costs and Lowdhams are amongst the most expensive!!

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
When we purchased our Hymer Starline, from a dealer up north, it came with a three year warranty, cost £495.00. I tried to get them to drop the warranty and reduce the price by £495.00. They refused, thank goodness.

When in Spain, a power surge killed the electrobloc. We we returned to UK, arranged for an exchange unit with Brownhill , boss said "is this covered by the warranty?"....which we found was, original fitting, so got a full refund plus labour charge for time involved, which they specified.

The following year, we pulled of a pitch, heard a clank, looked out to find a piece of leaf spring lying on the pitch. Limped to our service garage, contacted MB&G, they wanted us to accept a factors replacement spring, for the failed side only, and told us were to obtain it, or them if I wanted a pair. They admitted it is best practice to replace both but as only one was broken, that was the limit of their liability, plus 1.5 hours labour. After contacting the supplier, they wanted two/three weeks to deliver. When we reported this to MB&G they agreed to fund genuine Merch. springs.

The electrobloc cost was around £400.00 and the springs were £400.00 each plus 1.5 hrs labour, they paid for one spring.

So overall we gained on the original £495.00 but I would not take another insurance warranty out.

OP
OP
B

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Than you to all who replied. From my own experience with other warranty insurance, it is hardly worth the paper it is written on. Nice to know that I am not alone in thinking this.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I have some experience of MB&G warranty claims:
1. They paid for a failed Truma boiler mains heating element, with authorisation given by phone to a mobile technician who was at my home.
2. They paid for failed suspension air bags on the rear nearside, but refused to pay for new ones on the offside, which had not failed. Their technician agreed that it was good practice to do both sides but the underwriter wouldn't have it.
3. They refused to pay towards fixing a gearbox sensor problem because it was associated with a wiring loom, which is in the list of exclusions. The job took 10 minutes once diagnosed, but the (discounted) labour charge was about £500, with difficult access on an A class.

I discovered that they have a maximum labour rate, which did not meet the charge from a Fiat main dealer, even had they accepted a claim.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We got a 3yr RAC warranty for £500 ... claimed 450 ish for a throttle body replacement and got a no quibble payout
Wouldn't get another one though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back