Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
0 yet :))
Hi all.
Can't find this question in any previous threads. I am looking to buy my first motorhome for fulltiming, i have decieded on an Auto-Trail Cheyenne 840D. Which dealer in the north of england is best ??, looking for a dealer with knowledge, good after sales and no bull s***. I have been to three or four dealers so far, any thoughts please.

"Going up the Country"

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi all.
Can't find this question in any previous threads. I am looking to buy my first motorhome for fulltiming, i have decieded on an Auto-Trail Cheyenne 840D. Which dealer in the north of england is best ??, looking for a dealer with knowledge, good after sales and no bull s***. I have been to three or four dealers so far, any thoughts please.

"Going up the Country"

As far as I am concerned there are not many dealers out there that are not full of bull .My advice try and make sure the van is perfect and all the papers are in order and if the salesman tells you something that makes up yoyr mind to buy then get it down on paper .My dealer told me don't worry about any servicing that will all be taken care of .On my way down to France checked through my documents found the service book had not been stamped .also found wiper blades caput , tyre pressures different all round, washer bottle empty , body resting on exaust , noisy exaust .On return dealer said they do nothing with the original van side of things and that they had not said they would take care of the service and that I would have to take the van myself to get sorted which is 20away mls .Meaning a day off to get it checked out and another day off to get it sorted . Autotrail have emailed me stating that they would not expect any of their dealers to service the cab.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi all.

"Going up the Country"
Hi Canned Heat,
having read your post, I think you need to speak with Baldwins Halifax 01422 382333.
From sales to service, great set of lads

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
. Autotrail have emailed me stating that they would not expect any of their dealers to service the cab.

It is a fair comment as the cab/chassis is SUPPOSED to be PDI'd before it is delivered to the converter, but we as a matter of policy PDI everything before we hand a van over to a customer.

Peter

S

stagman

Deleted User
It is a fair comment as the cab/chassis is SUPPOSED to be PDI'd before it is delivered to the converter, but we as a matter of policy PDI everything before we hand a van over to a customer.

Peter

I don't want to put you on the spot , but if you were selling say a yr old van , would you and other dealers check the cab chassis over making sure it is ready for the road and service book stamped up to date . If not would you tell the customer before he takes away or completing the deal that the cab is due for a service .What I was really annoyed was that the salesman said to me when I asked about servicing the van { oh don't worry about that everything will be taken care of } Worst case scenario would have been if my engine had blown when away due to low oil or whatever and my service book not up to date as I expected .

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I obviously cannot comment on what other dealers say they do.

All brand new unregisterd vans are supposed to be PDI'd before they got sold to a converter.

We have found vans with too much oil, not enough oil. bits missing, items not working, incorrect tyre pressures, we even had a RHD cab fitted with LHD headlamp units!. :cry:

Hence we would rather spend extra time on them to make sure they are right before they leave us.

Once they have left us any warranty issues have to be referred to the local Service Centre for rectification as we are not authourised to carry out warranty rectifcation on the cab/chassis element.

Used MotorHomes get the same service schedule as a new van, obviously if the van has had a recent service elsewhere we will only check and not reservice.

If the next service is due in say 5 months and the MOT, then we would carry out a full mechanical service and re MOT. Every van whether new or old gets a full habitation service.

In addition every van we sell gets free habitation services for five years.

Thats the way we do it.

Peter

S

stagman

Deleted User
I obviously cannot comment on what other dealers say they do.

Used MotorHomes get the same service schedule as a new van, obviously if the van has had a recent service elsewhere we will only check and not reservice.

If the next service is due in say 5 months and the MOT, then we would carry out a full mechanical service and re MOT. Every van whether new or old gets a full habitation service.

In addition every van we sell gets free habitation services for five years.

Thats the way we do it.

Peter
That sound's good to me .Pity other dealers don't follow you . The 5 yrs free hab/ check is also a big bonus . My van is due for a Hab/ Check in January and they are already hounding me to book it in .At £140 I think they can wait untill they sort some other things out . Thanks :thumb:

OP
OP
C

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi. I am going to buy new. I phoned Baldwins a few weeks ago to see if they had a Cheyenne 840D in the showroom so we could go and see it but they had none in, going to nip over to Halifax at the weekend to see them.

Thanks for the pointers.

Cant wait to get to the "fulltimers" insurance bit:Eeek:. Sounds like a nightmare.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all.

"Going up the Country"

arent we all !!!!! (johns cross excepted:thumb: proper conciencious dealer.)

first one...you may have a good chance...second and third...pot luck im afraid.

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi all.

"Going up the Country"

Let's work together I say .:thumb:

OP
OP
C

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
People, when things go wrong
As they sometimes will
And the road you travel
It stays all uphill
Let's work together
:drink:

Lyrics by Canned Heat. the group Canned Heat, not me Canned Heat:Cool:

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
Thoroughly check the van over before parting with any money, they will also promise to carryout works at a later date, do not believe them.

Once you have paid, they are less than intrested, 'Buyer Beware'

S

stagman

Deleted User
Thoroughly check the van over before parting with any money, they will also promise to carryout works at a later date, do not believe them.

Once you have paid, they are less than intrested, 'Buyer Beware'

I would second that :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back