What age MH is best? (1 Viewer)

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Hello all,

I am looking to buy a MH, but in a couple of months time. It will be approx 20' long/5 berth and we intend to keep it for a long time.

Now, the question is this: what age is best for a MH to be? I will not buy a new one, for much the same reason as I will not buy a new car: depreciation.

I don't want to buy a 20 year old one because I want something which will (hopefully!) not need much doing to it.

But, what is the best age to buy a MH, when depreciation levels off a bit, and before bits start falling off it?

I'm guessing around five years old?

Thanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Now, the question is this: what age is best for a MH to be? I will not buy a new one, for much the same reason as I will not buy a new car: depreciation. Thanks.

Beware the Fiat Judder.

So that puts you up to 2006 for the previous non juddering chassis.

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Between 3 and 5 years old is best (most of the niggles have been sorted and depreciation has just levelled out a bit).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
This is very much a question of choice. Motorhomes can go on for a long time it depends on how they are looked after. If you look at the base chassis this is a van base and most white vans are not expected to be in use for more than 5 years, so tend to be built with this in mind, most bodies built on to these are joined at the edges of panels and after time are prone to leaking, unless looked after.
Also to take into account are improvements in insulation, and more modern equipment fitted, so as you see many factors come into play. Motorhomes do not depreciate so rapidly as cars so this also is a factor, so as you see it's a matter of finding what suits you and your pocket.

Hope this helps some.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I think that the only thing you can say is that you may not want a new one because of depreciation and all of the teething problems that some people get with some new ones.

You dont want an old one if you can afford it because of the inherent problems that old age brings about.

Mine was four years old when I bought it and everything worked perfectley but maybe I was just lucky. Two years further on and everything is still working perfectley and with the quality of build I dont expect anything major to go wrong.

If I had had the money I may well have bought a new one but I doubt it because the one I have caught our eye and we wanted it.

Depreceation is a dufficult thing to forecast with m/h's. Unless the model of m/h that you are going to buy is a popular one and you can compare yours with some that are on the market then its very difficult to value.

I think you just have to have a really good look around and when you see the one for you, you will know it.

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Buying a 20 year old van you could spend as much as the purchase price restoring it, but that will still be a fraction of a the price of a new one so it really is up to you. Our old 27yr old Mercedes has not done 100k miles out of an expected lifespan of 650k miles, will the engine ever wear out, well not in my lifetime.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
look at the base vehicle

fords a good drive

fiat/peugeot seem to be problematic with a lot of people.

mercedes expensive if getting an older one parts service etc

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Quality is remembered long after price is forgoten.A true saying,So better to buy a slightly older quality conversion than a newer cheapo.But thats only my opinion.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I think the reason for fewer Ford based models is that they sell plenty of vans without needing the motorhome market so do not give the converters such a good deal.
I have heard it said that Fiats come as BOGOF in supermarket speak.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
buying motorhome

hi
always buy on condition, make sure everything is working as it should.
no ducato's after 2006 there are good ones after this but i wouldn't take the chance.
there are more and more ford based motorhomes in the country now that surprises me
the dethleffs ones with the different coloured cabs look superb
good luck

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I am looking to buy a MH, but in a couple of months time. It will be approx 20' long/5 berth and we intend to keep it for a long time.

Now, the question is this: what age is best for a MH to be? I will not buy a new one, for much the same reason as I will not buy a new car: depreciation.

I don't want to buy a 20 year old one because I want something which will (hopefully!) not need much doing to it.

But, what is the best age to buy a MH, when depreciation levels off a bit, and before bits start falling off it?

I'm guessing around five years old?

Thanks.
I wouldn't look at the 'age factor' too much. What makes you think a five year old mh will be better than a twenty five year old one? The shiny bits?

On a site in Poland this year, the van parked next to mine was a thirty year old lwb Mercedes owned by an elderly Dutch couple. The guy had converted it himself and i only wish i'd taken photographs of it to show, especially the interior which he had hand built using quality hardwood.....something you would struggle to find in even the most expensive mh's. The bodywork was also immaculate and not a spot of rust to be seen anywhere. OK so it looked an 'old fashioned' motorhome, but it actually drew more attention than the pricey flash on site!

As he was retired it took just six months to complete, and of course.....virtually depreciation free!

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We bought an autosleeper (ford cab) which is 10 years old, and think it's great.
We recently went to look at some new vans, and some seemed quite flimsy, as if they'd fall apart in weeks!! I can't remember the coachbuilders, and don't really have a great knowledge of which builders are better than others, but would take our autosleeper any day, especially looking at price.

Ours was very well looked after and everyone is suprised when they find out it's 10 years old:thumb:

My point is age isn't everything:winky:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Agree with the above poster.

As an example the last caravan i owned was a 1988 Bucaneer Elan 15, one of the last coachbuilt from that company as they were taken over in '89/'90 by some other company (can't remember who exactly).

Everything in my caravan was solid build quality finish with no leaks or damp anywhere, yet it was a 16 year old van when i bought it. Only downside was it's weight but a lighter van inevitably starts falling apart after just a few years use. Look at any cheap five year old lightweight. It may still have a shine on it but the panels and seams will already be parting company.

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the replies!

OK, forgetting age of the MH, what shall I buy? I need:

1/ max length about 20'
2/ four/five berth (only the two of us but we have three large dogs and so need the extra space)
3/ between £15K and £20K (although I'm more than happy to spend less!)

Looking at Fords,Link Removed :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Auto-sleeper are a good motorhome not up quite to their older models with the glass fibre bodies but still a very good manufacturer. The transit base goes without saying is a reliable workhorse with spares easy and cheap. If every thing else is in order could be a good bye.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
M/H Purchase

Jumbo,
I believe most M/H bodies are OK but the layout must suit you. As far as the total unit is concerned its only as good as the weakest link, ie, the chassis. As been already said, most chassis are rated at 5 years only, every year thereafter a bonus. I bought mine new 8 years ago, at 7 years, as predicted by some, the front sub-frame rotted through and had to be changed, the last MOT has indicated all brake pipes, front wheel bearings and number plates will be required to be changed for next MOT. As far as the body and internal area is concerned, excellent, so at 32000 miles I can't grumble.
By the way check all the tyres for age, over 6 years they need changing even though the treads may show little wear. I have had a total of 8 tyres on my unit.

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
quote:2/ four/five berth (only the two of us but we have three large dogs and so need the extra space)

If there are only 2 of you I think you would get more 'space' in a 2 berth. A 20 ft van is just that 20ft. Try and squeeze in accomodation for 5 peeps and you will be reducing available space for freedom of movement for you all.

We have a 2 berth LP 5.99mtrs so about 20 ft, We have 2 dogs EBT and tall collie cross and a rear lounge which can be used as 2 singles so relatively long. We don't feel overwhelmed by not having space to move about. The dogs can flop, we can flop and still there is room for someone to nip to the loo. Unless of course you need the seat belts. Just a thought.

regards

Karen

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
OK, forgetting age of the MH, what shall I buy? I need:

1/ max length about 20'
2/ four/five berth (only the two of us but we have three large dogs and so need the extra space)
3/ between £15K and £20K (although I'm more than happy to spend less!)

Looking at Fords,Link Removed :thumb:
Good choice, especially if it's the non-turbo engine. With a Ford base vehicle you can be sure of good spares availability anywhere in UK and many european countries. Something you need to bear in mind as priority.

One point you just mentioned though..........three large dogs. :whatthe::whatthe:

I think room would be minimal even in 20' of motorhome. You need a trailer to stick 'em in!

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Ah, maybe they should go into a roof box :ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

This is Molly......

Link Removed

...and this is Dylan and Harry. They do tend to take up quite a bit of space!

Z

zorc

Deleted User
age to buy?

Hi Jumbo Beef
Sounds like your needs and reasoning are what mine was five years ago.
My wife and I got all excited and bought a Fiat. It gave us a wonderful season and, most important, taught us what the priorities should have been, (for us), when choosing.
At the end of the season we then traded in for our present vehicle, a 2001 Autosleeper Ravenna and that is still ideal for our needs today.
Some things I learned, (expensively!).
1) Surprisingly MH's change hands pretty frequently so 3 or 4 owners may not indicate anything wrong with that van or that model.
2) You will probably spend more time living in, than driving it so choice of layout is vital. For me the rear L shaped lounge is right.
3) Mileage. Coachbuilts are based on commercial vehicles which normally do more miles in a year than we do in 5 or more. Providing the vehicle has service history and has been maintained 40 or more K is nothing on their useful life.
4) Probably the most expensive problems are caused through damp ingress. Make sure you get a reputable Habitation check with the vehicle and have this done, and logged, every year.
5) Decide on the size of vehicle which you want to take to the places which you are most likely to frequent. Some people would not regard it as fun to find a parking spot for a MH in a busy seaside place at holiday time or Tesco car park!
6) Talk to owners and ask why they chose theirs. Some will have similar needs to yourself.
At 76 I still regard it as brilliant and always get excited when planning a trip.
Go for it and good luck

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi jumbo beef weve got a pilote on a merc base it is an 03 plate and it is fantastic.We had a brand new burstner nexxo but got rid of it after 10mths and got the pilote we'll never buy new again:Blush: Like you we also have big dogs a bullmastiff and germanshephardx so layout was important. We will run the merc for many years to come now(barring a lottery win:thumb:)and dont expect to many problems but will keep on top of any,little or large.Iwish you all the best in your search and hope you are as happy as us:thumb:

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
......all this talk about MH chassis being ready for the scrapper at five years or so old is worring me.............

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
......all this talk about MH chassis being ready for the scrapper at five years or so old is worring me.............
What :shout:<5 years,My old John Deere is 21 years old,and still running north above the polar circle in summer and south to Marroc in winter.It goes to show,dont look at the shiney bits,look at the build quality.People forget that most motorhomes are built to go on holliday in for mabe 2 or 3 weeks a year,and the ocasional weekend.Most MH are not designed to be used much.When choosing a MH always look at the things you would look at when buying a new kitchen.You wouldnt buy a kitchen that was made from hardboard and cardboard stapled together.You wouldnt buy a bed made from matchwood.So open doors and drawers,lift the matress check the bed base.Its your money your spending.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a 2006 Chausson Flash 03 and it is still as new, it is a Ford Transit and sleeps 6 while having seats for up to 6 belted passengers. We will be selling shortly so If ou are interested let me know. Or even if you just want to take a look around, I don't mind.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would not worry at all about any at that age :winky: a tranny at 20 plus then yes :ROFLMAO: even then it is mainly outriggers and wings :ROFLMAO: Snowbird hits it on the head for me :thumb: take my own the only thing to fall off (after almost 3 yrs) was a 8 inch self stick bit of trim that I missed glueing with proper glue in the build.Have a good scout around if it looks flimsy it probably is ::bigsmile:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I would not worry at all about any at that age :winky: a tranny at 20 plus then yes :ROFLMAO: even then it is mainly outriggers and wings :ROFLMAO: Snowbird hits it on the head for me :thumb: take my own the only thing to fall off (after almost 3 yrs) was a 8 inch self stick bit of trim that I missed glueing with proper glue in the build.Have a good scout around if it looks flimsy it probably is ::bigsmile:
terry
Once looked at a RV that was priced at £72000, Openend the bathroom door and there was a mirror on the inside of it. You could flex the door from top to bottom,and the mirror flexed with it, just like years ago on the fairground with the house of mirrors. How long do you think that would last,once you started using it???.At any price it was no good,but at £72000:Eeek:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
We have a 2006 Chausson Flash 03 and it is still as new, it is a Ford Transit and sleeps 6 while having seats for up to 6 belted passengers. We will be selling shortly so If ou are interested let me know. Or even if you just want to take a look around, I don't mind.
I wouldn't mind having a description of the layout and maybe a pic or two !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back