Solar to PSU (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I recently spoke to a guy at Sargent asking if I could connect a 100w Solar panel via a regulator to the dedicated solar panel connection in my EC400 PSU or did it have to be only 80w that I had read somewhere was the maximum. He advised connect direct to leisure bats and don't consider even connecting an 80w panel to the unit.

This seems very strange that the P14 2 pin mate&lock connection for this purpose is available and that the PSU would be protected by the regulator sitting between them.

I would welcome any comments as it does seem unusual to bypass this feature unless there have been loads of problems reported by others using the P14 connection.

Vin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do what he said and connect via your regulator directly to the batteries. There's no benefit whatsoever in connecting through the PSU.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There is nothing as simple and reliable as a direct panel to controller controller to battery connection using "proper gauged cable"
The man from Sargent was trying to give you the best solution without disrespecting his product me thinks
who knows what damp string is used in the inbuilt systems or circuitry, do yourself a favour, listen to the man who after all should know best,
at least if things do go wrong with the Solar charging, you wont be buying a new Sargent panel to fix it;) and you will know where to look for the problem

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Broken Link Removed

The EC400 does have a smart charge facility and takes 100w. So if you want things simple then plug a 100w panel into the EC400 and you will have charging to both engine and leisure batteries...
If your main issue is the leisure battery then go with as big a panel as you can fit and go direct to the LB..

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Thanks for your replies. I like @tonka 's thoughts on this as my main worry is the 12v fridge eating away at the average 2 amps per hour from the leisure bats but nothing going to the engine battery automatically if needed. I do also see the sense in @Geo and @NickNic 's thoughts on this so while waiting for the panel to arrive will give it more thought.
As I will be fitting a further 100w panel later maybe simplest solution is fitting both direct to bats and then fitting a B2B?
Vin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As I will be fitting a further 100w panel later maybe simplest solution is fitting both direct to bats and then fitting a B2B?
Vin

Connect all your panels to the leisure batteries and then fit a battery master.

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Cheers Nick, it's looking like that option is looking the most acceptable so far.
Vin

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Vin

Good thought BUT I notice you show a PVC in your Avatar.. If thats your van do you have roof space ?
REF B2B... Somewhere there was a link to a relay to do similar job but a lot cheaper, think it's was put up by Andy.. @Techno

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Good thought BUT I notice you show a PVC in your Avatar.. If thats your van do you have roof space ?
REF B2B... Somewhere there was a link to a relay to do similar job but a lot cheaper, think it's was put up by Andy.. @Techno
@tonka your right, and fortunately the vents have benn placed really well and on my LWB it is possible to place 3 x 100w panels around them max size 1400x700mm:D just have to look at wind deflectors now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back