Windscreen Wash Like Jelly (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

I've been using this Sonax windscreen wash additive for a while now

image.jpeg

You mix 1 measure with 5ltr of water

I went to top up the reservoir on the MH this morning and the stuff I mixed up 3 weeks ago had gone like jelly in the bottle. Not solid, more like weak wallpaper paste.

I'd originally mixed it with rainwater - could this be the problem.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hmmm... A quick google doesn't bring much up except for a reaction between different makes of screen wash but as you've been useing it before in the same tank? That's not the case.... I'd flush it out in case it gets thicker and burgers you pump and pipes up..(y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hmmm... A quick google doesn't bring much up except for a reaction between different makes of screen wash but as you've been useing it before in the same tank? That's not the case.... I'd flush it out in case it gets thicker and burgers you pump and pipes up..(y)
Thanks for that
Have emptied, flushed and refilled the reservoir
Wondering now if it's better to simply use plain water in tank?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
That's interesting because I bought a used car recently and whatever had been put in the washer bottle by the previous owner or garage turned to a gooey slime when washer operated leaving the screen completely smeered and no vision.

I flushed the system out completely 2 or 3 times but it was very difficult to get rid of.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The stuff I have been using is meant to be a high quality product - maybe it isn't

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wonder if it is temperature related ?
Cannot see the use of rain water being an issue ( unless you are in a particularly awful industrial area and the rain has an extremely high PH.. But I think you would have to have a vulcano spewing sulphur out to get it THAT high !

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Wonder if it is temperature related ?
Cannot see the use of rain water being an issue ( unless you are in a particularly awful industrial area and the rain has an extremely high PH.. But I think you would have to have a vulcano spewing sulphur out to get it THAT high !
It was stored in a clean 5ltr bottle in my boiler room, which is outside. Not too hot and not too cold. We live in the country so no pollution issues that I'd imagine
Very strange !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would just go to Halfords and use their screen wash, I have done for years and never had a problem.
Your Sonax contains glycerine, so just may have got too cold, I Think it generally advertised as a summer windscreen wash additive.

Reactions: DBK
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks for that
Have emptied, flushed and refilled the reservoir
Wondering now if it's better to simply use plain water in tank?

I must admit that cheep screen cleaner does go off and stinks somtimes and I generally use just plain water or put in a few drops of washing up liquid although apparently your not supposed to because of salt in it..? But I find it does get the grease of the screen...

If anyone has a good suggestion for screen wash in the motorhome I'd give it a try as now I've got a big screened Rapido I can see the importance of it..!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I used to make up several 5 litre bottles from concentrate bought from supermarkets/car shops. The bottles were stored in the garage until needed (which could be some time after our lads left home so weren't pinching so much). Initially it was OK but, a couple of years ago, I noticed, when filling the car that there were jelly like lumps in it. I assumed it was some sort of reaction and/or mould formation related to long storage (though it could have been that I had bought a different brand). I now only make up one 5 litre bottle at a time and use that before making up any more, which seems to be OK.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I must admit that cheep screen cleaner does go off and stinks somtimes and I generally use just plain water or put in a few drops of washing up liquid although apparently your not supposed to because of salt in it..? But I find it does get the grease of the screen...

If anyone has a good suggestion for screen wash in the motorhome I'd give it a try as now I've got a big screened Rapido I can see the importance of it..!
We use a little Lithuanian guy to clean ours (y) :rofl:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I can see the logic in that but doesn't he obscure your vision sometimes especially on cornering ....?

image.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I would just go to Halfords and use their screen wash, I have done for years and never had a problem.
Your Sonax contains glycerine, so just may have got too cold, I Think it generally advertised as a summer windscreen wash additive.
I just looked on Amazon and in their sales blurb it says that it can be used in winter and helps prevent freezing - I've asked a question on Amazon and will see what reply I get.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back