Best ten places to visit in Yorshire? (not Skegness!) (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Visiting Yorkshire for the first time in mid April.

Also hoping to see a couple stages of Tour of Yorkshire cycle race.

Where should we visit?

Looking for nice safe cycle rides

Wild camping

Good five sites

Britstops

Thanks

colyboy

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I thought Skegness was in Lincolnshire until @Tootles tought me the error of my ways
I've since torn up my O Level Geography certificate and returned it, together with a stiffly worded letter asking for a refund !

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Heading spelt wrong should be YORKSHIRE.

colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Kettlewell super small campsite on outskirts of cute scarecrow village, only takes approx a dozen vans, called Causeway Bungalow, views, a hundred yards or so to Bluebell Inn, fab walks and cycles from the site.

There are simply loads of such places in Yorkshire but that's just one that sprang to mind.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We stopped in the pub car park at ribbleshead wanted pub food anyway and dog friendly

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I thought Skegness was in Lincolnshire until @Tootles tought me the error of my ways
I've since torn up my O Level Geography certificate and returned it, together with a stiffly worded letter asking for a refund !

Skegness is in Lincolnshire! I'm sure Yorkshire would never want to adopt it. :whistle::eek:

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Whitby, Robin Hoods bay ,Fountains Abbey, York, Hawes, Haworth, Knaresborough, Helmsley, Pickering, Staithes. Think that's 10 but there are lots of other places too. Depends what you like. Moors? Dales? Coast?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
'arrogate, Skipton, Sheffield LOL

Where's the Tour de GB actually going? Judging by the way they closed the roads ages in advance the last time causing people who lives on them to have to travel and extra 50 +/- miles to work every day - you need to plan that first - where you want to watch it - rigidly I should have thought - and fit in 'Jollies' round that, where you can, rather than planning on doing the second thing first and the cycling race coincidentally.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Whitby, Robin Hoods bay ,Fountains Abbey, York, Hawes, Haworth, Knaresborough, Helmsley, Pickering, Staithes. Think that's 10 but there are lots of other places too. Depends what you like. Moors? Dales? Coast?
@Hils those are the places we would pick too, but as you rightly say, it all depends upon your preferences. We used to stay on the C and CC site just outside Robin Hoods Bay, because you could walk straight onto the North York Moors, or cycle in any direction, or catch the NY Moors railway (steam). And even make the short journey into York or Harrogate if you fancy some shopping. Last bit not for me!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Your correct it is in LINCS... Don't think they will admit it though.BUSBY,

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Halls" Fish and Chip restaurant in Bedale,sit in or take away (DON'T tell Tootles !),up to Leyburn,from there,take the road out for Arkengarth dale ? up past the Bellerby Moor army firing ranges , (Tootles is the one with the Trumpet in the wrong orifice !!,or IS IT LOL ) just through there,take a left "Low Row ?",drive up there,come to a water splash,pull through there up the bank,find a flatish spot and park. At this point,get the "Domestic Goddess" (Or the wife ?depends how long you have been married LOL) to put the kettle on,get the growler and head out over the moors for a couple of hours.
Pen Hill ? Super up there as well,views out over everywhere,worth the climb,(and you can look down on the Lancies from GOC! LOL)
The "Secret Garden" Near Leyburn'ish ? ... Never been,but it is supposed to be very good for people of all ages
Masham. A little cafe in a corner of the square,Moroccan theme,but Toasted Tea Cakes to die for,and a grocers in the narrow bit,think it used to be called Rheas ? Pork pies,cheeses,fresh bread..mmmmm I can feel a picnic coming on LOL
Last but not least Bowes Lyons ? museum and the "Silver Swan" a Mechanical masterpiece,to be seen working at certain times during the day.
Above all,Enjoy.
Tea Bag.
PS. Just two of the sites we love. Unthank Farm. CL. Between Bedale and Leyburn and the CL. At Thornton Steward. There are many,many more,you are truly spoilt for choice.
PPS. The site in Hawes looks good,don't know who runs it,but it is central and in a lovely area.Again,good F/Chip shop AND Pubs

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
We went to the National Mining Museum at Caphouse Colliery and very much enjoyed the experience. As my wife is not very mobile they provided a wheelchair AND a pusher for it. An ex miner he was very informative and did most of the pushing underground. The underground tour with a wheelchair is slightly shorter than the normal one but I was glad the pusher was there as being 6'6" it was difficult not being able to stand upright.

Highly recommended.

Dave

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Flamborough Head, just up the road from Bridlington is a must to see, massive chalky cliffs where you can see many varieties of birds nesting. A very impressive view.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Great to see that No6 on the Trip Advisor list is the Vulcan Experience at Doncaster Robin Hood Airport. :)(y)

Richard.
Was there week before last Clarky - they still remember you!!
P1050058.JPG

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
top field near Haworth, in book as Keithly. immaculate 5 van site, basic need own facilities all hardstanding, electric, usual water and waste facilities. planting round site is a treat as is watching the birds, friendly motorhomer owners.
great walks too.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Whatever you do don't go to the Cafe as was in Last of the Summer Wine!

Worst cup of coffee I've ever had!

Perhaps I should have had tea but I'm not going back to find out!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Where I mentioned Flamborough Head (post #24), I should have mentioned Bempton Cliffs which is where you really get to see the birds, entrance is through a RSPB owned cafe and shop. There are footpaths out of the cafe to different observation points on the cliffs with details of all the birds you may see in that particular area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back