DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Call me sad but I enjoy planning our trips. I haven't always done it, we've driven off the ferry and just followed our noses but sometimes this means we miss somewhere potentially very interesting simply because we didn't know it was there.

So for our next trip the maps are spread on the table, CamperContact on the tablet, guide books studied, ACSI books scoured. This year I'm marking possible aires and campsites on the map or road atlas with a little sticker, each with a number written on it which links with a list written in a note book. Each entry just gives the ACSI or CC reference number and a very brief description.

I've also started a page of notes, using Google Docs which lists interesting places mostly gleaned from guide books.

I don't work out any sort of detailed itinerary, the maps, with their little stickers are just a prompt to help us decide where to go next. We certainly won't visit every site I've identified but that doesn't matter. We will go as far and as quickly (or slowly) as the mood takes us.

This is a shot of the dining table a few moments ago. The gimlet-eyed might notice a copy of the current Caravan Club magazine. It has a useful article on the Ligurian coast which suggested a few places to stop off and visit. :)

The half pint of home brew helps the planning too!

"Two Plus Charlie Go East" should all things work out as planned will start here in early May. The Go East bit is because we are starting at Santander and heading almost directly east which is a somewhat perverse way to do it but the tickets are booked!

DSC_0095.JPG

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We always do lots of planning. Looking at different routes, places to stay along the way, interesting things to see.
Then we get on the road and so often change plans!
Sometimes because weather is better somewhere else or maybe because someone we have met tells you of new places. Love the planning but then being able to change it at any time is the beauty of motorhoming! Happy planning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Oh good,that's one van less going my way.(y) Look forward to reading about your travels.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Books and maps ??????

When planning a trip I start with Tripadvisor, and what's popular to see and do in and around the place I fancy visiting

I then use Campercontact to see if there are Aires near to the places I found in TripAdvisor

Finally I use Google Maps to get them into the correct order and plan a route.

Deatails of the places and stops are entered into Notes which I refer to in my IPhone when were travelling

We often update our route, taking weather forecasts into account.

No maps, paper or pens are ever used

Have never used a map on our travels - simply punch co ordinates into our sat nav in the morning and off we go.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have booked ferry from Portsmouth to Caen on 8 th of May,,will look on internet on that day at the weather in Europe and then decide which way we will head . Had planned Italy last year but landed up on The Algarve,,,,BUSBY

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Call me sad but I enjoy planning our trips. I haven't always done it, we've driven off the ferry and just followed our noses but sometimes this means we miss somewhere potentially very interesting simply because we didn't know it was there.

So for our next trip the maps are spread on the table, CamperContact on the tablet, guide books studied, ACSI books scoured. This year I'm marking possible aires and campsites on the map or road atlas with a little sticker, each with a number written on it which links with a list written in a note book. Each entry just gives the ACSI or CC reference number and a very brief description.

I've also started a page of notes, using Google Docs which lists interesting places mostly gleaned from guide books.

I don't work out any sort of detailed itinerary, the maps, with their little stickers are just a prompt to help us decide where to go next. We certainly won't visit every site I've identified but that doesn't matter. We will go as far and as quickly (or slowly) as the mood takes us.

This is a shot of the dining table a few moments ago. The gimlet-eyed might notice a copy of the current Caravan Club magazine. It has a useful article on the Ligurian coast which suggested a few places to stop off and visit. :)

The half pint of home brew helps the planning too!

"Two Plus Charlie Go East" should all things work out as planned will start here in early May. The Go East bit is because we are starting at Santander and heading almost directly east which is a somewhat perverse way to do it but the tickets are booked!

View attachment 98633
I don't think you're sad - I do similar. I enjoy researching where we're going and it pays dividends not missing interesting stuff. My partner does very little apart from enjoying the treats I have planned!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Its nice to do a bit of research on the horrible wet days we are stuck indoors in the UK. Just thinking of the sunshine on The Med gives me a lift..BUSBY.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Planning is self defeating. We plan for ages, getting all the juices flowing then all of a sudden it's "was that it, did I blink and miss it" and then start all over again.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Planning is self defeating. We plan for ages, getting all the juices flowing then all of a sudden it's "was that it, did I blink and miss it" and then start all over again.
I think the same...............usually after getting back after 9 months of touring ..lol

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Planning?

Something best left to Mrs Deluxe unless it is something to do with ships courses..........

I do admire your approach though (y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Books and maps ??????

When planning a trip I start with Tripadvisor, and what's popular to see and do in and around the place I fancy visiting

I then use Campercontact to see if there are Aires near to the places I found in TripAdvisor

Finally I use Google Maps to get them into the correct order and plan a route.

Deatails of the places and stops are entered into Notes which I refer to in my IPhone when were travelling

We often update our route, taking weather forecasts into account.

No maps, paper or pens are ever used

Have never used a map on our travels - simply punch co ordinates into our sat nav in the morning and off we go.
Oddly enough I've never used TripAdvisor. :unsure: Odd because my brother has a black belt in it and can find the best restaurants in an area using it in seconds.

I must give it another go!

But I wouldn't be without maps as I find them useful to see the wider scale of a country, to coin a phrase. I have a GPS which in the UK shows the Ordnance Survey maps but it is useless for plotting a route as you can only see a tiny bit of the country on the screen at any one time. However, I do use Google Maps a lot but there is something tactile about "proper" maps! And they work when the batteries run out too. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Maps? Well sad in this day and age ain't u got a computar:)

You don't need wifi for a map,,,,much prefer a nice map,,,bit of a atlas and map anorak. If i see an old Atlas (pre 1939) i will buy it...BUSBY.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oddly enough I've never used TripAdvisor. :unsure: Odd because my brother has a black belt in it and can find the best restaurants in an area using it in seconds.

I must give it another go!

But I wouldn't be without maps as I find them useful to see the wider scale of a country, to coin a phrase. I have a GPS which in the UK shows the Ordnance Survey maps but it is useless for plotting a route as you can only see a tiny bit of the country on the screen at any one time. However, I do use Google Maps a lot but there is something tactile about "proper" maps! And they work when the batteries run out too. :)

tripadvisor overflowing with fake reviews on everything none to man.....you need to learn how to negotiate your way round the hype:(

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I also love to get the maps out,puts into perspective the distances and terrain. Know most of my route this Spring just need to fill in a few gaps.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Planned with military precision perchance?;)
I have planned cycling trips like that in the past. The route for each day worked out in advance and a route file created which is loaded into the GPS to give turn by turn directions for the day's cycling.

But I'm using more of an "area" approach for this trip. Identify interesting places and potential overnight stops and then mix and match as the mood takes us. We may never get beyond France let alone Italy. A bit like our trip to France last year. Arrived at Roscoff and spent four weeks in Brittany. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Lake Bohinj. round the corner from Bled. Stayed there when I was a child.
http://www.sloveniaforyou.com/InfoBohinj.htm
That's definitely in the list of places to see. Looks a bit less touristy than Lake Bled though we will go there as well. In Italy we are going to have a look at the Lago d'Iseo rather than the much more popular Garda. There are rock spires there each with a boulder on top which sound intriguing.

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Completed a route to Italy about six weeks ago. Not set in stone but gives an idea for the next two months. The last two weeks have been quite flat, but now the excitement is starting to kick in as there are just nine days to go before travelling to the channel tunnel!! Yippee

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Completed a route to Italy about six weeks ago. Not set in stone but gives an idea for the next two months. The last two weeks have been quite flat, but now the excitement is starting to kick in as there are just nine days to go before travelling to the channel tunnel!! Yippee
Six weeks today we will be on the ferry - but planning is helping to get the juices flowing. :)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I'm with OP on this. Just heading home now after a couple of !months abroad, and looking forward to planning the next trip.
And I love maps.
And well aware that as soon as we drive off the Chunnel train, all the plans could change just like that.
But still love doing it. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
At the risk of hijacking my own thread I've just noticed an interesting pop-up ad on this page. For MI5! Is it because we mentioned maps? :)

Screenshot_20160328-075027.png

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don't plan trips in detail but like to have some idea where I am heading. I find searching "Flickr" very useful. Foe example open flicker and search for Uberlingen. You get a good idea of what this popular then is like and photos from people who have been or live there.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=uberlingen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back