Where to buy a GENUINE Nokia phone battery ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have an old Nokia 6310i , circa 2002 .. review here http://www.neowin.net/news/retro-review-nokia-6310i-circa-2002

It can still be purchased second hand from about £50 or new from £300 Amazon product ASIN B00009XLNH
I loved this phone and it served me well for many years.. when new, the battery had a standby time of 16 days.. it's still a great phone..
I am going to use an emergency phone and also for travelling abroad, will also lend to Charlotte for going to Army Cadet camps.

Have fitted a Giffgaff PAYG sim with £15 of Non-expiring credit..

I bought a spare battery from ebay but it is rubbish.. a full charge lasted less than two days.. (am sending it back)

Now my Question..
do you know a trustworthy supplier who actually sells GENUINE phone batteries or at least good quality equivalents ?

Googling is no good as every man jack and his brother advertise that they sell 'Genuine' Nokia batteries.

Battery in question is a BPS-2

Looks like this

bps2.jpg

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've asked suppliers if it was a genuine charging lead and they have said yes.
Turns out it wasn't, a few differences, got full refund from eBay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I know that the phone is well-loved but I would buy a brick from somewhere like Tescos for £10 or so - we have a couple and they work well, charge with USB cables and have a standby of a week or so, even though they are around 8 years old.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Call me naive but if an eBay seller deliberately puts 'genuine' in the title one has to assume it's genuine OEM, otherwise it's refund time. Older phone batteries do require a certain amount of 'conditioning' ie charge > full discharge > recharge before they hit their peak performance. You probably know this already, but the mAh rating can vary from one battery to the next.

Interesting to see how much that model of phone still sells for - it was obviously well liked. The other one as I recall was that rufty tufty water resistant model that had a cult following among builders and other outdoorsy types. Fairly basic item but still sells well. Chrome is also popular - if you've got an old chromed mobile don't chuck it away at a car boot.

I know someone who sells second hand mobiles - I'll ask about a genuine BPS-2 battery next time I see him.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It can still be purchased second hand from about £50 or new from £300
Looking at the linked review Jim, I would say the used price was confused for the quoted new price and the new price was confused for an above average modern android phone.
£30 new sounds about right for a phone introduced 14 years ago.
But then, theres nowt as daft as avid collectors.

One thing that did surprise me the review stated a li-po battery.....
Im sure at that age it would be ni-cad....I thought li-po was developed much later for general use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Interesting to see how much that model of phone still sells for - it was obviously well liked.

yes.. 'probably' the best Nokia ever produced.. at one time it was factory fitted in Merc cars with a charging cradle and external aerial .

Where we live is very poor / weak reception.. it still gets a signal when my iPhone says 'no signal' .. as a basic phone it outperforms any modern Smart phone.. and it's standby time is legendary , making it ideal for travelling , an ideal roaming phone, and it's less likely to be stolen when being used in the street..

it's Achilles heel is that it can't use 3G .. but that's not a problem, still plenty of 2G providers.. including GiffGaff ( which is O2)

The original battery is still good, lasts about a week .. a new battery would extend that time to at least two weeks or more..

@Mattyjwr thanks for the suggestion but want to keep the 6310i.. it is just so good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Looking at the linked review Jim, I would say the used price was confused for the quoted new price and the new price was confused for an above average modern android phone.
£30 new sounds about right for a phone introduced 14 years ago.

But then, theres nowt as daft as avid collectors.

look up Amazon.. (can't post Amazon links here) .. there are still new ones available.. at £300 or more.. knock offs ? I don't know or care

but that is 'by the way'.. it's a battery I'm looking for

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
yes.. 'probably' the best Nokia ever produced.. at one time it was factory fitted in Merc cars with a charging cradle and external aerial .

Where we live is very poor / weak reception.. it still gets a signal when my iPhone says 'no signal' .. as a basic phone it outperforms any modern Smart phone.. and it's standby time is legendary , making it ideal for travelling , an ideal roaming phone, and it's less likely to be stolen when being used in the street..

it's Achilles heel is that it can't use 3G .. but that's not a problem, still plenty of 2G providers.. including GiffGaff ( which is O2)

The original battery is still good, lasts about a week .. a new battery would extend that time to at least two weeks or more..

@Mattyjwr thanks for the suggestion but want to keep the 6310i.. it is just so good.

Just a thought, if Nokia stopped making the 6310i years ago, I wonder if the remaining batteries are still as viable as they were when the phone was in production. I believe that they deteriorate if they are not used or not charged regularly and you may find that they do not hold their charge as long as you had in the past.

If anyone is looking for a travel phone, this is the kind of brick that we use as a spare - £15, O2 compatible and standby of 30 days:
http://groceries.asda.com/product/o2-payg-mobiles/nokia-1300-o2/910001834035

Tesco do a similar one for £10 locked to Vodafone.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
look up Amazon.. (can't post Amazon links here) .. there are still new ones available.. at £300 or more.. knock offs ? I don't know or care

but that is 'by the way'.. it's a battery I'm looking for
Agreed Jim, I saw the costs......one at £399.

I was only pointing out the price for a complete new, if very old, phone was ludicrous.

I doubt you will find a new, as in recently manufactured, battery and as already stated by others batteries dont like being left in a low state of charge so it will be pot luck what charge it would accept or hold.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Cheap as chips.. how do they do it .. (y)

Not sure but I guess that they hope that the PAYG top ups will recover the cost of manufacture and supply over time. We have them on networks that are different to our main phones so that we get a good range of coverage if the main phones are not usable. We just need to make a call once every 90 days to keep the sim active.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Grahams link looks a good bet Jim.
£20 for what they say is a new battery.....or £89 for a fully refurbed phone, but then you already have the phone.

At £89 with a new front case and battery plus 12 months warranty it knocks the amazon price of £399 into touch.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Grahams link looks a good bet Jim.
£20 for what they say is a new battery.....or £89 for a fully refurbed phone, but then you already have the phone.

At £89 with a new front case and battery plus 12 months warranty it knocks the amazon price of £399 into touch.
They probably get their stock from battery mega store who sell for £12.99 :LOL:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Morning @scotjimland

At great risk to life and limb Ive rummaged around in the loft and garage and found four original Nokia BLS-2N batteries. Not the exact model you're looking for, from memory they were originally from 6110i's, but believe they are compatible with the BPS-2 as I'm sure I used them on a couple of 6310i's. At least one of the handsets is kicking about as well but ........ Again from memory think they are very slightly thicker than the BPS-2 and have a slightly higher capacity. What charge condition they are in, eh who knows!

Given your extreme need and the prices being thrown around above (supply and demand roolz) I think £50 each is a fair price (each)!:whistle::eek:;)
Alternatively, if you want them let me know and I'll stick them in the post for you as it does say "Dispose of them responsibly" on all of them.
You'll need to be quick though as we're heading off down south (no where near Suffolk though - Derbyshire and then South West) next Monday.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Just a thought, if Nokia stopped making the 6310i years ago, I wonder if the remaining batteries are still as viable as they were when the phone was in production. I believe that they deteriorate if they are not used or not charged regularly and you may find that they do not hold their charge as long as you had in the past.

If anyone is looking for a travel phone, this is the kind of brick that we use as a spare - £15, O2 compatible and standby of 30 days:
http://groceries.asda.com/product/o2-payg-mobiles/nokia-1300-o2/910001834035

Tesco do a similar one for £10 locked to Vodafone.
I found found one of these old Nokias in a cupboard with the charger,it had been in there for approximately a year.As it still had a SIM card in I thought ok,let's charge this and put in the van for an emergency phone.
To my amazement I pushed the on button and it lit up with only bar used,absolutely amazing.
Remembered when I had last used it for emergency purposes only it would run switched on for a couple of weeks without needing a charge.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Dunno what Nokia this is but it's hard wired to my boiler controller for its supply so no battery.
The secondary purpose being to text me if the Strikeback alarm is activated.
CA_02031518213988-XL.jpg

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I bought a spare battery from ebay but it is rubbish.. a full charge lasted less than two days.. (am sending it back)

I complained to the ebay seller about poor performance and pointed out that by advertising is as a 'Nokia Original' when there was no Nokia marking on the case, just a sticky label, which didn't have the Nokia hologram ... it clearly wasn't Nokia.. and this was against UK marketing law..

he gave an immediate full refund .. including postage and didn't want the battery returned..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I complained to the ebay seller about poor performance and pointed out that by advertising is as a 'Nokia Original' when there was no Nokia marking on the case, just a sticky label, which didn't have the Nokia hologram ... it clearly wasn't Nokia.. and this was against UK marketing law..

he gave an immediate full refund .. including postage and didn't want the battery returned..
You could still report him :LOL: Not that eBay would care :(

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Jim why do you want a battery if your original one lasts a week? :(

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I have a 3510i, £300 on Amazon, they're having a laugh, I'll get it charged and see if it still works.

41J1qzmYjbL.jpg

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 3510i, £300 on Amazon, they're having a laugh, I'll get it charged and see if it still works.

View attachment 98943
Most older or out of print/no longer made items on Amazon have sellers with a vastly overpriced sale. This is the 1st thing I searched for. A book that you can buy "new" for a £5 and sellers with second hand ones for over £30. Maybe they don't have the item for sale at all?
Amazon product ASIN

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Amazon link not working.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-29-16-24-49.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-29-16-24-49.png
    177 KB · Views: 6

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
for Charlotte to go to Cadet camp.. 14 days..

besides.. a spare is always handy and the old one could pack up anytime

They're in the post today for her.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back