Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Heres one to tax you eggheads. In our Hymer bathroom, there is a strip four bulb holder mounted vertically next to the sink.

hymer bathroom.jpg

And so, I decided in the interests of power saving and increased light, to replace the bulbs with four of these LEDs..........(12 volt, 5 watt)

$_12.JPG

But they wont work! Tried them in the sidelights, they work. In the overbed spotlights, fine, but not in the bathroom, either together, or just as a single. Reversed the polarity, nothing........Cant understand it. The standard filament bulbs in the unit are rated at 12 volt 5 watt each.......Any ideas??

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you fused anything? Check by putting one of the old bulbs in and see if it glows in a bulby sort of way.

Also try covering the mirror. Your reflection may the problem. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have you fused anything? Check by putting one of the old bulbs in and see if it glows in a bulby sort of way.

Also try covering the mirror. Your reflection may the problem. :)
Tootles doesn't have a reflection when in front of the mirror........ ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On a more serious note put the two different bulbs next to each other and check the dimensions and contacts are identical.

We've got a fancy bathroom light which needed a new fluorescent tube. Could I get one the right size locally? Had to get it online. Your make-up lights might be something odd. Close to a standard bulb but subtly different for maximum bu**eration factor. Probably Italian like our bathroom light. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
On a more serious note put the two different bulbs next to each other and check the dimensions and contacts are identical.

We've got a fancy bathroom light which needed a new fluorescent tube. Could I get one the right size locally? Had to get it online. Your make-up lights might be something odd. Close to a standard bulb but subtly different for maximum bu**eration factor. Probably Italian like our bathroom light. :)
That is distressingly sensible advice.............:LOL:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Everything is identical to the standard filament bulbs. Tested the output from each bulb holder, all the same. I'm starting to wonder if this light unit, (the only power into the bathroom), is somehow controlled by a resistor unit that is not compatible to LEDs. ??????

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the led's are rated at 5 watts and the original filiment bulbs are rated at 5 watts.....what do you hope to gain ?
5 watts is 5 watts.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If the led's are rated at 5 watts and the original filiment bulbs are rated at 5 watts.....what do you hope to gain ?
5 watts is 5 watts.
The 5 watts refers to the light output John. LED's use a smaller proportion of power then filament bulbs, because there's nothing to heat up. And so I would be getting the same amount of light for less power used.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, that clears that up.
I thought you meant input watts.
A 12v 5watt led is equivilent to around 40 watts.

I cant see any reason for the circuit to include a resistor.....thats generally reserved for led road lighting with a canbus bulb failure system so the system still sees a regular bulbs resistance thus not thinking a bulb has failed.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Heres one to tax you eggheads. In our Hymer bathroom, there is a strip four bulb holder mounted vertically next to the sink.

View attachment 98449

And so, I decided in the interests of power saving and increased light, to replace the bulbs with four of these LEDs..........(12 volt, 5 watt)

View attachment 98453

But they wont work! Tried them in the sidelights, they work. In the overbed spotlights, fine, but not in the bathroom, either together, or just as a single. Reversed the polarity, nothing........Cant understand it. The standard filament bulbs in the unit are rated at 12 volt 5 watt each.......Any ideas??
Are they transformer operated toots, do they work without being on EHU

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are they transformer operated toots, do they work without being on EHU
Yes mate, they do. I cant think of rhyme or reason for them not working.

Deleted User
Have you tried putting back the original bulbs and then swapping just one of them for the LED type. It may be that you have a control circuit (could be a dimmer or some sort of voltage control) that needs a minimum current drawn from it to make it work and the LED current requirements may be below this.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Toots, where did you get the led lamps from?

We have the same bathroom as you, bottom lamp is almost dead now so was thinking of changing them to LED's.

If I can buy some the same I will try them in ours and see what happens

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
you need a bit of trial and error testing mate.
put all originals back in - take 1 out and replace with (previously tested) led.
if ok and lights continue with next and so on.
if not working with even 1 led and 7 filament you will have to get to the wiring behind the fitting and see how its all connected up (yes i know pain in the arse)
how about putting a strip of self adhesive led down each side inside the fitting and connecting directly to the switch supply.
not had a similar problem myself but hope that gives u food for thought.
bern

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is there a dimmer on this circuit? Some LEDs don't like them.
No dimmer, but a hell of a sized switch for the job, which makes me think it may 'contain' some other circuit 'nasty'.......

Have you tried putting back the original bulbs and then swapping just one of them for the LED type.
Yes, tried all that. The filament bulbs will work, but the LED alongside will not.

Toots, where did you get the led lamps from?
Got them off ebay. Just input 12volt 5 watt LED vehicle bulbs. (y) (Sorry, I cant get ebay up at the mo).

you need a bit of trial and error testing mate.
put all originals back in - take 1 out and replace with (previously tested) led.
if ok and lights continue with next and so on.
if not working with even 1 led and 7 filament you will have to get to the wiring behind the fitting and see how its all connected up (yes i know pain in the arse)
how about putting a strip of self adhesive led down each side inside the fitting and connecting directly to the switch supply.
not had a similar problem myself but hope that gives u food for thought.
bern
Thanks Bern. My next job will be to take a feed from before the switch, and see if lights an LED. If so, the (huge) switch must either have a resistor fitted, or some other voltage stabilizing device. (y)

Deleted User
It seems as if the bulbs aren't making contact with the holders. Are the solder pips at the bottom of the bulb as prominent as the bulbs you are replacing. I once had a problem when replacing the bulb on some ophthalmic equipment and after messing around for quite a while I found out the bulbs were fractionally shorter and not making contact. I re-soldered the bottom of the bulb to build up the depth and that sorted the problem. It could be that the bulb holders are slightly different to others in your vehicle and that is why they work in some places and not others.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
LED's wont work if + & - are reversed

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
LED's wont work if + & - are reversed
Tried that as well........And funny, neither did the original filament bulbs, which quite surprised me! Something in the circuit I'm missing.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tried that as well........And funny, neither did the original filament bulbs, which quite surprised me! Something in the circuit I'm missing.
You really do have a problem if the standard bulbs didnt work either.
A bulb will work no matter which way its connected.
Remember the old beetles with POSITIVE earth 6v systems

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A bulb will work no matter which way its connected.
I know John. With the wiring in the original position, the standard bulbs worked, but not the LED's However, when I reversed them, neither worked. Got to be a resistor somewhere.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Pfft, it's @Tootles Hymenwagen. Due to it being around since Adam was a lad it's refusing point blank to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. LED's? it's gas mantles more like. ;)(y)

Luv ya Dave :love:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You must understand that Badknee also has a gas telly. (y) And a towngas one at that. :)
Well of course we do, a forward thinking modern town like notloB has had town gas for years not like that tiny backwater that you live in. Acetylene gas is the best you can do. I'll tell you what, I'll bring you a bag of gas over as I have one on my roof rack. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back