Son acedent (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My son has had a acedent the other driver did not have insurance at the time of the acedent my boy ran in to him
The vehicle is now insured so whar dose this Leve my son
When the collision harpenden the other driver would not exchange datales so we think he has insured itit after the collision hapend don't think my son insurance company will pay out on that one

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It may depend if your son had uninsured driver loss, or words to that effect, on his policy Bill. Have you ever had any good luck Bill, I'm beginning to wonder if someone up there doesn't like you? :(

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i would check the identity of the driver of the other car first , sounds like it may have been a friend of the insured driving

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It may depend if your son had uninsured driver loss, or words to that effect, on his policy Bill. Have you ever had any good luck Bill, I'm beginning to wonder if someone up there doesn't like you? :(
You could be right thar but he is fully comp and the other driver had nothing no insurance at the time of the acedent I have told my son to tell him to jog on no insurance no fix

?

Deleted User
Unless this is an old shitter of a car i would be telling the police and going through insurance. If an old banger worth a couple of hundred quid do nothing as i doubt the other person would get the police involved if they had no insurance at the time of the accident. You cant backdate/time a policy.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I assume he has reported the accident to the police? If the other driver didn't have insurance at the time of the accident, they might be interested in speaking to him. The fact that he has insurance now is of no consequence.

?

Deleted User
I assume he has reported the accident to the police? If the other driver didn't have insurance at the time of the accident, they might be interested in speaking to him. The fact that he has insurance now is of no consequence.

I very much doubt the other driver would dob themselves in to report this.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Looks like your son was lucky - the other driver may have to pay for his own repairs. How much damage did you son get on his car?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You said your boy ran in to him. If that's that's so isnt it your boy who was at fault and he will have to claim on his own insurance not the other persons because they wouldn't pay out anyway. The other person will also be wanting to claim on your boys insurance too. Unless I am missing something.

As I read it, the other driver didn't have insurance at the time of the collision and is not going to get help from an insurance company for an event that started before the policy started.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Reading the OP again I realise you're not bothered about your son as such but I'd still report it to make sure I was not compounding any fault on my behalf.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Looks like your son was lucky - the other driver may have to pay for his own repairs. How much damage did you son get on his car?
We have got the parts from a braker yard it will take abut two days to fix all the parts colour mach so no worries there £200 and it's fixed

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have got the parts from a braker yard it will take abut two days to fix all the parts colour mach so no worries there £200 and it's fixed

I think that he got off lightly. He may need to inform the insurance company but I don't think that he will have to pay out for the other driver who should not have been on the road.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Report the accident to the police.
Yes your boy was at fault (probably )
But the other party refused/failed to exchange details at the time.
Still an offence I believe.
If he now has insurance then as already posted it would be time stamped with Co.
If you have concerns let your insurance know.now
or what's stopping him / her claiming injury or damage from your boy. Good luck.:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
He can't be at fault becomes the other chancer should not have been on the road...end off. Far to many uninsured drivers out there!:(
You can make a claim via the criminal injury board if personally injured by an uninsured or unknown driver. nothing for the car though.

Tell them wot the Judge said Bill:)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Take the £200 hit and forget it or offer to not tell the insurance if they pay.If the other driver was insured they would be claiming whiplash and all sorts of stuff and your sons insurance would go through the roof he is lucky

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Take the £200 hit and forget it or offer to not tell the insurance if they pay.If the other driver was insured they would be claiming whiplash and all sorts of stuff and your sons insurance would go through the roof he is lucky
Not to bother about the £200 more bothered about sumone driving about with no insurance the other driver should not have been on the road.
To be honest if the police get involved the other guy has got more to worry about than a bent car.
He could be looking at a ban.
The corts take a dim view I would think off none insurance
Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the uninsured car will be seized and crushed and driver will get a big fine and a ban

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Definately report it to the police.
If the other driver does (stupid thing to do I guess, but he might) then your son may be questioned with failing to report and exchange details.....even though he did stop
Not worth the risk.
Hopefully he took the other drivers reg number etc.....which will hopefully get him charged with refusing to give details and no insurance.
If everyone takes the correct steps you dont have to report an accident unless there is an injury....this bloke didnt take the correct steps.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
He still needs to report the matter to the police because he didn't exchange details with the other driver.

If you're the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle (car, motorcycle, bus, lorry etc.) that's involved in an accident on a road or public place and:
  • a person, other than yourself, is injured
  • damage is caused to another vehicle or to someone else's property - including street lamps, signs, bollards etc.
  • an animal, other than one in your own vehicle/trailer, has been killed or injured (animal means any horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog)
You must stop and provide your details and in some cases produce your insurance certificate. If you don't you must report the matter to the police - it's against the law not to.

As others have said, the other driver ( stupid as it sounds) could decide to make a claim against your son, best to cover your back......

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My son 17 at the time was driving an old mini (he loved that car!). He was in an owners club all of them young lads had mini's as at the time they could get classic insurance the cost of the car plus the insurance was less than the insurance for him to drive our old corsa. He went on a run with the club and having not put the handbrake on fully rolled into the mini in front slightly bent his bumper the other car bent rear valence (was rusty anyway the lad was fine with my son paying for a fibreglass one). The other lad's then girlfriend then decided to claim personal injuries for 21k!!!! and refused to drop the claim he had 4 years of bigger insurance premiums and loads of hassle. Your son if the other guy had no insurance and keeps quiet has got off lightly someone who works for me has a similar claim against her bloke in front put his brakes on for no reason low speed whiplash!!!!. The insurance market is skewed in favour of fraudulent injury claims I would be very careful about causing problems for your son by trying to get the other lad his just deserts for driving with no insurance.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
He can't be at fault becomes the other chancer should not have been on the road...end off. Far to many uninsured drivers out there!:(
You can make a claim via the criminal injury board if personally injured by an uninsured or unknown driver. nothing for the car though.

Tell them wot the Judge said Bill:)

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority do not make awards in cases if injuries caused in road traffic accidents because they are not classed as violent crime . However, thankfully Bill's son was not injured.

The question of which driver was at fault has nothing to do with who had insurance at the time of the accident. Rather the manner of driving determines which driver caused the accident. In cases where an uninsured driver is at fault then the Motor Insurers Bureau have loss recovery scheme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Insurers'_Bureau

This scheme is aimed at recovering the costs of the person who was not at fault at the time of the accident from an uninsured driver who is at fault. Unfortunately Bill's son appears to have run into the uninsured driver and was therefore at fault. If that is so he has no claim on the other driver whether the other driver was insured or not.

In a case where an accident caused injury or damage drivers have an obligation to exchange information.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/if-youre-in-an-accident.

Bill's son should report the matter to the police and be prepared to state that he gave his details to the other driver, because the driver, commits offences of driving without insurance (if he had none at the time) and failing to give details to a person reasonably requiring them. There is a get out clause if a driver reports the accident to police within 24 hours, but if uninsured the other driver is hardly likely to have done that.

The bottom line is if Bill's son was at fault his only claim is on his own insurance whether or not the other drivers insured. It looks like he will do his own repairs £200 seems not to bad, but he is under duty to report the accident disown insurers whether or not he intends to claim from them, that will be a policy condition.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority do not make awards in cases if injuries caused in road traffic accidents because they are not classed as violent crime . However, thankfully Bill's son was not injured.

The question of which driver was at fault has nothing to do with who had insurance at the time of the accident. Rather the manner of driving determines which driver caused the accident. In cases where an uninsured driver is at fault then the Motor Insurers Bureau have loss recovery scheme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Insurers'_Bureau

This scheme is aimed at recovering the costs of the person who was not at fault at the time of the accident from an uninsured driver who is at fault. Unfortunately Bill's son appears to have run into the uninsured driver and was therefore at fault. If that is so he has no claim on the other driver whether the other driver was insured or not.

In a case where an accident caused injury or damage drivers have an obligation to exchange information.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/if-youre-in-an-accident.

Bill's son should report the matter to the police and be prepared to state that he gave his details to the other driver, because the driver, commits offences of driving without insurance (if he had none at the time) and failing to give details to a person reasonably requiring them. There is a get out clause if a driver reports the accident to police within 24 hours, but if uninsured the other driver is hardly likely to have done that.

The bottom line is if Bill's son was at fault his only claim is on his own insurance whether or not the other drivers insured. It looks like he will do his own repairs £200 seems not to bad, but he is under duty to report the accident disown insurers whether or not he intends to claim from them, that will be a policy condition.

What's so different about the mib that your point scoring pulled me up on from what I said. ....

While I don't agree with your above reply regards fault.... I was hospitalised by uninsured driver and got £25000 in compensation.nothing for loss of car...you would be surprised how many don't know about the scheme. Forced on insurance company's by government to all pay a percentage into the fund because of the rise of all these barstards on the road driving uninsured non roadworthy vehicles :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
OK it has been reported to the police thay accept that it had taken nearly a week he gave them data time and location of the incident.
Also regarding and make of the other vehicle.
Thay have also informed him that there is a possibility of du care and atenchion.
But will be focusing there atenchion on the un insured driver for the time being.
Steven fund out whar he lives and has in formed them of that with a description of him

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I don't think that they will follow up with charges of due care and attention - no one suffered life-changing injuries and the Police are stretched to breaking point so won't look for work.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Lots of differing views (and some stuff has gone somewhat off the point.) The facts are these:

1. if you are unable to exchange details at the time of the accident then it MUST be reported to the police;
2. The fact that the other driver did no have insurance does not mean that the fault for the accident automatically becomes his.
3. Driving (or keeping) an uninsured vehicle n a public road is an offence (and, as suggested above can carry a hefty fine, 6 points on the driver record and can result in the vehicle concerned being confiscated and crushed
4. Comprehensive insurance will cover claims from all vehicles/persons involved where appropriate.
5. Accidents must also be reported to your insurance company even if the fault was not yours and you do not intend to claim.

I would tell your son to report the accident to the police (even though it may now be outside the time scale set down in law) and give them the reg mark of the other vehicle along with his belief that the vehicle was uninsured - it is easy for the police to check that and they will probably be interested in doing so. He should also notify his insurance company (yes it may have an effect on his renewal but it would keep him legal and not worrying about whether any subsequent claim would be honoured)/ In that way your son will have complied with all legal and insurance requirements.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back