Uprate weight, can now take clothes and food. (1 Viewer)

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thought I would share my experience of uprating our MH:

Decided to take "Penny" to be weighed to ensure legal with all base stuff we wanted to carry (folding bikes, spare wheel, folding chairs, etc.), so had reference.
Bought digital hand scales and weighed everything we put in or took out.
Setup a spreadsheet so we could easily juggle things around.
With clothes, food and drink for short trip we were overweight, so had to dump the spare wheel......not happy about this, but safer to be legal.
Decided to give SvTech a call.......we have the additional air suspension fitted at rear, so could add 100 Kg to back axle with existing tyres, or 200Kg with higher loading tyres. Recently fitted new tyres and SvTech confirmed they would send uprated plate if we changed tyres in the future, so decided the 100 Kg would suffice.

We looked carefully at saving weight to stay in current limits, but decided we wanted to enjoy our travels and not be worrying about a few Kg's here and there.
(We have a garage behind the rear axle so rear axle weight was our limiting factor).

Paid our £312 to SvTech, next day new plate arrives and certificate to send to DVLA.
Spare wheel back in and we can now take the required clothes, food and booze to start our travels with peace of mind.

Hope this may help others and not bore you all to death.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I don't know what your gross weight was before your upgrade and if it was built to be 3,500 kilograms which is the only reason for manufacturers to plate at that weight providing that there is a reasonable load margin due to the licence restrictions.

In lots of cases however they seem to choose an arbitrary weight that is not one thing or another but makes it possible to do either:-

1) a paper exercise because the van and chassis are under the design weight
2) add air suspension and/or higher weight rated tyres to raise the gross weight to the maximum

All their pathetic action does is to cause many to run overweight and the rest to pay a lot in fees to the likes of SVTech plus the cost of air suspension, fitting and higher rated tyres.

As we have said many times the manufacturers don't seem to any consideration for their customers!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
There have been many threads on this subject and far from bore us all to death a bit more detail on specific weights may have been useful, without reference to your age I assume you've taken into account the licence requirements at 70?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It's amazing how heavy a couple of bags of shopping are too, it soon build up till you have little or no payload. We went with svtech to increase our payload by 200kg, luckily we didn't need any mods, but saved a few bob on the new PHGV tax rate.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its a shame you didn't uses the chap I recommended for this as he charges a third of what SVTech do, at least you're legal now. (y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Be a naturist a don't take many clothes !!!
Mitch. (y)

Leave the booze at home

I don't know which suggestion I am most shocked about.......the 2nd one I think, yes, definitely, go and wash your keyboard with soap and stop being so stupid!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As we have said many times the manufacturers don't seem to any consideration for their customers![/QUOTE]
all they want is you're money

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Its a shame you didn't uses the chap I recommended for this as he charges a third of what SVTech do, at least you're legal now. (y)
Can you give me his details Minxy Girl as I want to uprate my van when I get back to the UK thanks :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hope this may help others and not bore you all to death.
Not at all! In fact, a great idea!! (y)

And so, forty hours after starting.........
Spanner.....3oz
Orange........2oz
sink plug.......1oz
"Feeling tired love?? Not long now......."
Copy of Womans Own........6oz
Bra............16 stone..........:Eeek:

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014

Spanner.....3oz
Orange........2oz
sink plug.......1oz
Bra..16 stone.....! Is that empty or filled? :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Deleted User

Spanner.....3oz
Orange........2oz
sink plug.......1oz
Believe it or not there was some guy on a caravan forum that had a list as long as your arm of the weights of everything that he might need to take in his caravan..........and I thought I was a bit OCD:)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am proposing to lift the Limit on mine, AS SOON as the D******d`s at DVLA find the time to reply to my enquiry about eyesight following the successful removal of Cataracts and the insertion of Implants!!!. I am now virtually 20/20 without glasses after 50+ years of using them!. I enquired about flying fast jets, but apparently I am over the age?. Or so the nice man at the recruiting centre said?.

Pete

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp

Spanner.....3oz
Orange........2oz
sink plug.......1oz
I have too much work to think about to worry about whether i have put too much in our van! When i get time off my first thoughts are , Dont overload the van!! If only i was allowed to swear.:mad:

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
My wife decided we would need the clothes and food, so ended up leaving the bikes. Missed them badly.
We too are uprating when we get back.:mad:

OP
OP
Bazzermc

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Mel, didn't see this until after I had done the deal....

Original weights -

New -

I still have 8 years before need to worry about being over 3500

If you make this change, don't forget to notify insurance, no addition charge in our case (Comfort)

OP
OP
Bazzermc

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie

Spanner.....3oz
Orange........2oz
sink plug.......1oz

I am not that sad, I done it by the bag full, it was surprising the booze was heaviest.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you make this change, don't forget to notify insurance, no addition charge in our case (Comfort)
Same with us when we did our uprate, no charge by Safeguard however they did tell us that we will have some restrictions on our vehicle recovery - no free hotel for example as we now fall into the 'commercial' category but I believe this is the norm with all vehicle recovery over 3500kg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
and when you have gone to the trouble of weighing everything have you made any allowance for the additional weight that is added due to the cantilever effect. If it sits rear of the rear axle it will weigh more than what the scales say

OP
OP
Bazzermc

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
We went to the weighbridge with everything in the garage, all items weighed and added after that went between the axles.
I am retired engineer so understand loading, but good point for others to consider.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
and when you have gone to the trouble of weighing everything have you made any allowance for the additional weight that is added due to the cantilever effect. If it sits rear of the rear axle it will weigh more than what the scales say
Sort of, it will add more to the rear axle than its own weight, but the difference is taken off the front axle loading. The overall increase in GVW is only the weight of the item.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back