Help!!! Don't know what to do now. (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Please bear in mind we are new to motor homing. Yesterday we arrived at a rally on a field in the rain we were told where to go. They said they were placing us in that particular place as it was fine. We did as we were told (unfortunately) and then we got stuck, wheels spinning etc. They got the farmer and tractor and towed us to a drier more solid area but it was on a down hill slope. We made huge ruts getting here and all around us is ruts. The tractor pulled us up onto ramps. This morning we now realise that was a HUGE mistake. How are we going to get off the ramps. We won't be able to reverse off as that will be reversing uphill on boggy ground and we can't go forward as we are up the ramps. Weather forecast is rain for the next three days so it will definitely get worse. I am thinking I want to go home or at least get off this field before its too bad.

Don't get me wrong we are used to mud and huge ruts with the caravan but having a big car to tow we were always fine. First time on a field with the MH and I'm worrying a bit!!!

I don't think the rally officers knew what to do either. They are a friendly bunch and helped us but helped us to what??

You are probably going to say what idiots we are for not thinking about what we were doing but hey we've done it now - so any suggestion please would be gratefully received.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Suggest you go and chat with other motorhomers on the rally - see if you can borrow several sets of mud mats to lay a path to drive along. If you can at least get 2 or 3 sets then you can keep moving the rear ones to the front etc.
If it's only going to get worse over the weekend then doing it today might be the solution but it has to be your judgement as to when to try to move.
I got stuck once (on the flat) and used the breakdown service provided by Fiat to get me off so that's another option.
Good luck!!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Get the farmer back to tow you off and then go home.
Good luck mate.
PS. These vans do get bogged in on a wet lettuce leaf, so its not just your fault.
Most of us on here have had the same thing happen at some time or other.
But we now tend to "walk" the intended route prior to driving the van on.
(as I am sure you will now do in future.)
DONE let it put you off the pleasure to be had in this fabulous lifestyle !!
And again, Good luck.
Mitch. (y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If the front wheels are on the ramps it should be easy to reverse off them ( the driving wheels will be on the ramps so won't slip) then drive down the field slowly.
But, I would get one of the rally organisers and the tractor at the ready!

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for that both of you but the other question is how to reverse off the ramps backwards up hill. We have milenco quartos with stepped levels.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Forget all about it till its time to go home, enjoy the rally then let the farmer tow you off, simples, it was a bit like that at Chester last year, although it did dry out a bit, no sense in worrying!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unless you are using garage type ramps with a very high lift just drive over the front edge slowly.
Your ramps will only be around 3" to 4" high max.....no different to driving up or down a kerb.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
"You are probably going to say what idiots we are for not thinking about what we were doing but hey we've done it now - so any suggestion please would be gratefully received."

No, no ones going to say that--- cos if we haven't actually been there, we've all been close! You'll laugh about it later....
I managed to laugh when sat nav took me down a track that ended in the middle of a field. ( why did I follow it???) French farmer told me to carry on, 200 metres there'd be a bitumen road. He didn't mention the foot deep mud and low branches across the track that ripped the TV aeriel off. The laughter had just a touch of hysteria as that night it rained inside my motorhome.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Because Quatros are somewhat more than 4" high! Depending on ground clearance (which may by reduced by sinking into the mud), there is a fair chance of grounding on the ramps if you try to go over the front.

Some vehicles would get away with it. Careful measurement would be needed first, but the chance of damage to the underside of the van is considerable.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Because Quatros are somewhat more than 4" high! Depending on ground clearance (which may by reduced by sinking into the mud), there is a fair chance of grounding on the ramps if you try to go over the front.

Some vehicles would get away with it. Careful measurement would be needed first, but the chance of damage to the underside of the van is considerable.
Ok, I'll give you that one (y)
I didnt realise they are 8 inches high.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I agree with @TheCaller , dont attempt to drive over the top (disaster)
Be carefull when reversing off the quattro' or any other wedges as if reversing is up hill the wedges may shoot out the front because of front wheel drive(don't let anyone stand there). take it slowly in reverse & you should be OK.
Also tractor more than likely wont be able to tow you back as most moho's dont have towing eye or similar at the rear.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oh my...reading threads like this I do miss our go anywhere 4x4 demountable camper..depths of Swedish winter in 6 foot of snow no problermo:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Depending on how steep the slope you are on is, it is well worth trying to simply roll off the ramps..
But as already said, if it is your driving wheels that are on the ramps there is every chance you will be able to simply drive off them.
Of course getting from off the ramps to solid ground is still a problem but easily resolved with said tractor :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As others have said, it should be relatively easy to drive/roll very slowly down the ramps, even though you'd be reversing up hill.

But if it was me, BEFORE moving the van backwards off the ramps, I would place some anti-slip mats (or an old piece of carpet or whatever you, or other ralliers have) at the bottom, so the driving wheels of the van come to a standstill on the mats. It will then depend how soft the ground is as to whether you can just drive off forward downhill.

But, you need to make a judgement on that before you move the van off the mats. If necessary, see if you can get help with more mats that you can borrow to make a track downhill.

My final tip would be - assuming you have a manual gearbox (can't advise on auto) - try not to touch the accelerator pedal at all whilst you are moving off from stationary downhill - use the tickover of the engine until you are just moving, then apply the accelerator VERY gently.

Personally, I'd be inclined to move to a better position (or right off the field if necessary) before the heavy rain sets in tomorrow.

Oh, and please DON'T drive off the front of your Milenco quatros, as one poster suggested!!

Hope you get sorted OK - which I'm sure you will.

Strangely - and as an aside - we got stuck in a gateway to a temporary National Trust car park on our first outing in a MH, and at this time of year too. Beforehand, I said to the NT steward, the route didn't look suitable for us, but he insisted we'd be fine - but of course we weren't. From that time on I've always trusted my own judgement, not somebody elses! It caused chaos because it was a Sunday and our van blocked the way for all the NT visitors at a large and popular site. And even after we were towed out, the entrance was by then completely buggered up.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I wouldn't drive off your blocks either,, I did that by mistake a few weeks ago! Hell of a drop !! I was lucky they were under back twin wheels. But I wouldn't advise!! X

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Forget all about it till its time to go home, enjoy the rally then let the farmer tow you off, simples, it was a bit like that at Chester last year, although it did dry out a bit, no sense in worrying!
More than a bit like that at Chester last year!!! nonetheless, a good rally and worth waiting a few minutes to get towed off (and on!) Sound advice, enjoy the rally first.

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi. We are still perched up on the ramps and there's a mountain to climb to get in the door. We are making the move tomorrow so will let you know the outcome. We are taking your advice and reversing down the ramps onto slip mats behind the wheels. They have told us the tractor will put us off the field when we are off the ramps.
We know what NOT to do in future. Thanks for your advice. We are not quite so stressed now with your advice. Thanks.
Will let you know when we get home tomorrow.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi. We are still perched up on the ramps and there's a mountain to climb to get in the door. We are making the move tomorrow so will let you know the outcome. We are taking your advice and reversing down the ramps onto slip mats behind the wheels. They have told us the tractor will put us off the field when we are off the ramps.
We know what NOT to do in future. Thanks for your advice. We are not quite so stressed now with your advice. Thanks.
Will let you know when we get home tomorrow.
We have all been there, so not an issue to share it with everyone. The only trouble is that you need to carefully select the good advice from the - shall we say - less than good, but I guess you have figured that.

Please let us know what happened and how you did it as we can all learn. As indeed I did when driving forward inadvertently off some ramps. Damaged to underside and destroyed ramps.............. Best of luck, we're on your side (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We've just come off a rally field in the high peaks two days early. It's been hissing down all day and they were dragging people onto the field so I had a good run at it and escaped. Good luck tomorrow (y)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Firstly you are not the first and you certainly won't be the last;) I remember at silverstone about 5 yrs ago for the F1 GP and on woodlands campsite got our then 14ton Rv stuck :eek: I was not the flavour of the day I can tell you :LOL:.got towed out by a huge tractor .but we had a great weekend.my thoughts would be just enjoy your weekend and then get towed out when the rally has finished .have a great weekend and good luck.
Brian & Jo

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Why ?
I'm sure plenty of folks have inadvertently overshot their ramps with little effect.
Apart from the rear kicking up I see no problem....but I only ever use regular milenco's

And you risk breaking the ramps - as we did. My guider got distracted when directing me up our ramps and I overshot, cracking the front of one of them :(

OP
OP
The Cruisers
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Well we are on our way home.

We got off the field quite easily. We put 2 milenco slip mats behind the front wheels, reversed off the ramps onto the mats and waited for the tractor to tow us off the field. What was I stressing about!!!

Thanks for your advice. As you say, we are learning as we go along and we will think before we park up next year.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well we are on our way home.

We got off the field quite easily. We put 2 milenco slip mats behind the front wheels, reversed off the ramps onto the mats and waited for the tractor to tow us off the field. What was I stressing about!!!

Thanks for your advice. As you say, we are learning as we go along and we will think before we park up next year.
Another tick in the experience box...... thinking carefully about where to park is really good, but usually in hindsight for a lot of us :blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back