What's the cleverest thing you have seen in a MH ? (1 Viewer)

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
( Bearing in mind I am new to this )

While at Malvern we were struck by the big Garages at the back of some of the MHs but didn't like the way that always meant it would have a high double bed inside ( couldn't climb up to that sober, never mind pixxed )

But in one MH we looked at the double bed was on hydraulic jacks so YOU could chose how big the garage was and how high the bed had to be....

Clever stuff that.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Its the simple things that impress me. ( no, not the missus)

A hinged flap to cover the step well at the habitation door. Curtain rod brackets turned at a slight angle to stop them rattling.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
MY wife, she cooks cleans washes opens my cold beers and does all the things a good un should ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi Graham

Mine's a bit of an oddball and not very exciting:

External security roller shutters for plastic windows. These windows are one of the most vulnerable security points on a van.

Look really neat, fit flush on the outside, wound manually from inside and curl up inside, made by Rolf Seitz, never seen in the UK and cost a fortune.

Can't fit to our present van because it has a sliding door and the wound up shutter (inside) would prevent it opening.

:Smile:
Keith

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Seriously Graham, I have a printed laminated card A5 which reads inbold red letters ' HOOK UP
SATELLITE'

When I arrive on site I put this on my dash to avoid any embarrassing moments when leaving.

Larry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Seriously Graham, I have a printed laminated card A5 which reads inbold red letters ' HOOK UP
SATELLITE'

When I arrive on site I put this on my dash to avoid any embarrassing moments when leaving.

Larry

sorry to go off track but i thought it was worth a mention.

same idea but use a clothspeg if its a crankup dish.

clip it on the dish crank handle and then on the steering wheel when dish in use.
if its on the handle you cant 'forget' to put it on the wheel which you could with a card.
could do the same with the hookup.

not my idea but a good one none-the-less:thumb:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Clever M/H layout

The garage with a double bed over is an abortion, A) it takes up valuable day space B) difficult sometimes to get into.
The one I like is the one with the rear garage with the kitchen and bathroom over. This leaves you with plenty of day space especially if you can use the drop down bed. This bed is for sleeping north/south as opposed to the normal east/west bed, easy to get out of in the night without disturbing your partner.
RonW

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But in one MH we looked at the double bed was on hydraulic jacks so YOU could chose how big the garage was and how high the bed had to be....
Clever stuff that.

Are you sure it wasn't a sex aid - did you see any straps above the bed ?

May 22, 2008
Funster No
The garage with a double bed over is an abortion, A) it takes up valuable day space B) difficult sometimes to get into.
The one I like is the one with the rear garage with the kitchen and bathroom over. This leaves you with plenty of day space especially if you can use the drop down bed. This bed is for sleeping north/south as opposed to the normal east/west bed, easy to get out of in the night without disturbing your partner.
RonW
Each to their own as they say, we love our garage and high bed over and it has two steps up to the bed, how much easier can that get, we also have a drop down bed in the cab area and that requires a short ladder to climb up to it or you can climb in off the settee, again easy.:thumb::thumb:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I like the garage with the bed over the top, quite a few vans have a bed over the garage which can be lowered. One example is the Chausson, don't see these as being practical as you obivously have to clear out anything high in the garage to lower the bed. Also in my case I would get fumes off my motorcycle as any sort of moving bed would have to have clearance around the edge. My garage seems to keep any fumes from leaking into the van.
You could try looking on the Link Removed to see the internal layouts. Would like another Frankia but they don't come cheap.:cry::cry:

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I like the garage with the bed over the top, quite a few vans have a bed over the garage which can be lowered. One example is the Chausson, don't see these as being practical as you obivously have to clear out anything high in the garage to lower the bed. Also in my case I would get fumes off my motorcycle as any sort of moving bed would have to have clearance around the edge. My garage seems to keep any fumes from leaking into the van.
You could try looking on the Link Removed to see the internal layouts. Would like another Frankia but they don't come cheap.:cry::cry:

Yes you are right but I wasn't thinking in terms of raising or lowering it all the time, more just that you could choose how you wanted it ( ie large garage high bed or low garage low bed ) rather than having the choice forced on you.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
RonW

Each to there own with regards to what layout works for them.
I have a garage with a wind up or down bed and agree that its not ideal for climbing out of in the middle of the night, however from my experience everything in caravans and boats etc is a compromise and for the extra storage space (including the scooter) its a small price to pay. Cant see how it can be deemed a "waste of space" I consider it to be a great use of space. As I say each to there own spose :thumb:
Ian

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would love to see pictures of that :Smile:

Bit difficult to take a picture but just imagine you are standing in the motorhome facing the bed, or in my case the bunks, you have a round shower on the right hand side and on the left the bathroom. If I stand inside the bathroom, I click a switch on the left side of the door and push that left side bit of the door out , so you block out the rest of the motorhome and it becomes a full width room. Try to have a look at the shows. I know that there are not many Frankia's here but you never know.
In the winter, I keep the door shut too when we drive as the living area becomes a bit smaller and so easier to heat. Has all kinds of advantages. ( shut the door when Roger takes a nap and won't be listening to his snoring :ROFLMAO:)
I see that you own an Adria and that is a great motorhome too. We had 4 of them ::bigsmile:.

Kind regards

Maddie

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I made a mistake as I can see now that it isn't you who owns the Adria but it is Kontiki. :Blush:, sorry.

Maddie

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Yes you are right but I wasn't thinking in terms of raising or lowering it all the time, more just that you could choose how you wanted it ( ie large garage high bed or low garage low bed ) rather than having the choice forced on you.

Absolutely right...... before we got the scooter we had the bed not quite all the way down and there was still loads of headroom in the garage for storage of everything and the bed was low enough to be no problem at all. Now that we have the scooter (only had it a week and been away once so not in the routine yet) we plan to have the bed high (obviously) for transporting the scooter then drop it low when we get on site and the scooter is outside. If we dont need the scoot then we can drop the bed about halfway even with the scoot still in there ..... how adaptable is that ???? how can that NOT be deemed a good layout ???#

PS- With regards to fumes from the sccoot, I cant smell any as yet but will keep an eye (or rather a nose) on the situation.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
garage

hi
mine has a garage in the back, it has a workbench a twin tub washing machine 2 folding bikes 3 3drawer plastic units in there all my beer (so i'm an alci) my freestanding awning
4 deck chairs my sattelite dish with tripod sun canopy, plus room for loads of tins of food and spuds (getting boring now)
also when i want to relax and watch tele (f1 or btcc) i go up on the bed and relax with a beer (got loads in the garage in a coolbox).
but that is what works for me and i think it's great

H

helenmccarthy

Deleted User
motorhome dog gate invention!!

Back on the topic of best inventions i've seen in motorhomes........

We were at the malvern motorhome show a couple of weeks ago - and we saw a new invention of a dog gate specific for motorhomes (and caravans!) - it neatly fits in the doorway, just slots in and out easy as anything! You don't have to fix it to anything and it folds flat for easy storage! They are hand made to the measurement of your doorway. I picked up a leaflet and this is their web address

K9gates - Home

if anyone has a dog and a motorhome or caravan, i strongly recommend you take a look at these - what a brilliant idea!:thumb:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
The best i've seen so far with space utilisation in mind was the SkyDeck that Gold Rv's had Airstream Sky Deck | Quality Used Motor Homes from Gold RV

But personally I think the floor nightlights you can switch on all over my winnie is just a great idea and very useful staggering to the bathroom with one eye open in the middle of the night :thumb:

Boo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back