What size van to down size to????? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We (I) feel it time to down size, at present we have a Hobby Siesta 650 7m long.
Lovely van with fixed bed and LOADS of storage space separate shower etc. I think if we do down size we will miss the storage space. We tend to stay away a maximum of 3 months so need good storage. I am thinking of a van conversion and am looking for the largest van there is with good storage. Would not mind single beds but don't want the hassle of making up beds.

Any suggestions!

colyboy

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
storage in a pvc is a problem i had a lwb sprinter still over 6mtrs long but narrow and cramped everything in the way all the time.Now got a burstner 695 only a few feet longer but the extra width is the big bonus for me.Its not about the length lol

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You could ask yourself why you need the storage. Our next trip will be nearly three months and the only extra stuff we will take will be tea bags, muesli and dog food.

Our PVC admittedly doesn't have a lot compared to a MH with a garage etc but I fitted a back box on it and things like folding chairs and levelling ramps go on it. However, you can get our model now based on the Fiat XL chassis which has a storage area behind one of the rear doors - but no fixed bed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Recently saw a Lunar PVC on Braithwaite Fold C&CC site. It was on a Merc chassis and was some length. Not sure of the layout other than the bathroom was at the rear with a separate circular shower - only know this cos the rear doors were open when I walked passed! Would be interested to see the interior.

Edit: just checked and the van is over 7 mt long!! Not much of a down size!!!!

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would stick with what you have ...panel vans are fine if you buy german loads of storage under rear beds...in all the years we have had them do not miss downsizing from a coachbuilt for one minute!lol the opposite in fact....just make sure you get 636 length van....

Next van if there is one when wife retires will be a A class around 6.5 meters. Hymer or Carthago. just want to go back to a fully winterised van for more adventurous destinations again, with bikes inboard

Eddie

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My Autocruise Alto has a fixed rear bed which gives me plenty of storage. The downsize however is that the lounge is a tad small and the shower next to useless. Neither of which is a problem for me as there is just me and the dog, and I tend to use sites with facilities. If I was away for any length of time then a small trailer or box on the tow bar would be a consideration.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
strange Ive allways fanced bigger, same layout but longer, I suppose we all use our vans in differant ways hence differant needs

Deleted User
Our vline 620 is 5.99m, fixed rear bed, big exterior boot area. We removed the front small sofa/bench and had more storage built leaving bags of floor space, lots of overhead lockers. Converted rear wardrobe under bed to shelfs fits more in. Fitted a rail across the bottom of the rear transverse bed, it's high enough to hang clothing with a gap underneath where your feet go ( we do sleep opposite way as the headboard end had no overhead cupboard, so rail goes here. Gives 120 cm of hanging space. Removed bulky shower door replacing with a concertina one.
Of course it means we have drilled holes, and it will never look like an original again, but I'm fairly confident if it was viewed next to an original ours would win hands down.
Fits two adults, Nige is 6ft 3", and 3 large dogs.

Lin :)

Deleted User
We downsized last year and have lived in the PV for 6 months since the purchase.

It has a bit less storage than our old fixed Bed (not much less though) and the shower is no longer separate.

However the lounge is massive in comparison to old Rapido dinette, as is the bed (once you've spent an agonising 2 mins converting it!!) the shower is fine (we both use it daily) and you can park it where you like and not worry to much about the old foreign town centre wrong turns incidents.

We wouldn't go back to a "bigger" van (or consider anything you couldn't lounge in properly)

Horses for courses and all that, if only it was German ;)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Our downsize to the 6.5m B544 has worked perfectly. The double floor with lockers from outside and hatches in the floor give loads of storage and the kitchen unit drawers are massive as well as plenty of wardrobe space.
Toilet and shower with hinged wall works well and stacks of lounge space with twin sofas.
The drop down bed we keep made up so seconds to lower for use.
A really spacious 21 footer.

Deleted User
Globecar Globestar 600l or Possl Roadstar 600l both 6m and with fixed singles and underbed storage

Broken Link Removed

Depends how important shower room and oven is to you, one of these would be my ideal.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Globecar Globestar 600l or Possl Roadstar 600l both 6m and with fixed singles and underbed storage

Broken Link Removed

Depends how important shower room and oven is to you, one of these would be my ideal.

you pay a big price for this twin singles in a 6 M van...hardly any room at all and tiny fridge:(

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
We manage with this layout on a 6.3m PVC, we have a fixed bed, two bikes inboard and a lot of kayaking kit in the garage.

Love the layout but could not recommend the converter!

Attachments

• 50 015_00 BV10028 Final 2.PDF
    2.4 MB · Views: 42

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Although double bed, how about the Hymer Van? Think it's about 5.5m long, double transverse bed over garage but lounge IMHO is where the compromise is to get it all into such a small package.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How ironic, I was perusing videos on YouTube last night, and one of the topics that came up was downsizing your motorhome. There was a review on the Autosleeper Symbol, looked to be a heck of a lot of van in a very small space!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How ironic, I was perusing videos on YouTube last night, and one of the topics that came up was downsizing your motorhome. There was a review on the Autosleeper Symbol, looked to be a heck of a lot of van in a very small space!

And to paraphrase Scottie of Star Trek fame, 'ya canna alter the laws of physics' !
A heck of a lot of van in a small space still equates to a heck of a lot of stuff in a small space !! :)
Havingsaid that,k we too have been looking to the future and may well down size in a few years time ( only due to licence etc etc )
We have been looking at some of the older Hymer A class vans @colyboy.
For vehicles under 3.5t they seem to have massive living areas and offer a very good solution

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And to paraphrase Scottie of Star Trek fame, 'ya canna alter the laws of physics' !

The Q could.

For vehicles under 3.5t they seem to have massive living areas and offer a very good solution

I've always suspected they use Tardis technology.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I would stick with what you have ...panel vans are fine if you buy german loads of storage under rear beds...in all the years we have had them do not miss downsizing from a coachbuilt for one minute!lol the opposite in fact....just make sure you get 636 length van....

Next van if there is one when wife retires will be a A class around 6.5 meters. Hymer or Carthago. just want to go back to a fully winterised van for more adventurous destinations again, with bikes inboard

Eddie
Enjoy your travels when you get there Eddie, A good choice on your next mh,regards Alf.

Deleted User
you pay a big price for this twin singles in a 6 M van...hardly any room at all and tiny fridge:(

Again depends on your requirements, we could manage in one of these for 3 months. The fridge is small, when we started camping we had no fridge:) and whilst admittedly the lounge area would be cramped for 4 it looks perfectly adequate for 2.

Cut your suit according to your cloth! Travel light and not much cooking in the van would be our intention.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We downsized last year from a 7.5m Bailey with a fixed rear bed, to our present IH PVC. We thought we would have trouble fitting everything in but we ruthlessly de cluttered and its amazing what you don't really need. Empty lockers in some places now! Back to basic camping ( kind of!) and we love it. No TOAD just the bikes and we can even manage the country lanes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at the Globecar Familyscout L - 6.36m long, L shaped lounge, transverse double bed at rear with lots of storage under and a lot of cupboard space, central shower so doesn't take up space when not in use. We love ours. They don't make them 'new' any more - I think 2015 was the last year they did.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We enjoyed 7 years travelling in our 6 metre PVC going on trips of up to 3 months. I would recommend picking a van with a big fridge as I think that made a big difference to our trips. We also measured up the cupboards and invested in a load of storage crates to fit the space and so maximised storage.
We are keen cyclists and walkers and carried all the gear we needed.
We have now upgraded to an A class Hymer with a garage, we have a lot of empty cupboards!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Paul,
We downsized a few years ago, could cope with PVC
too compact !!! , so we spent money to go back up to 6.7mtr moho with a garage.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Again depends on your requirements, we could manage in one of these for 3 months. The fridge is small, when we started camping we had no fridge:) and whilst admittedly the lounge area would be cramped for 4 it looks perfectly adequate for 2.

Cut your suit according to your cloth! Travel light and not much cooking in the van would be our intention.

Really? Is the extra 14 inches of a 636 van such a concern. As believe me it makes a hell of a lot of a difference in real terms...we have had both, your money your choice:)

Deleted User
Really? Is the extra 14 inches of a 636 van such a concern. As believe me it makes a hell of a lot of a difference in real terms...we have had both, your money your choice:)

It is when it will be our only vehicle and we started off looking at 5m conversions.:)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We downsized last year from a 7.5m Bailey with a fixed rear bed, to our present IH PVC. We thought we would have trouble fitting everything in but we ruthlessly de cluttered and its amazing what you don't really need. Empty lockers in some places now! Back to basic camping ( kind of!) and we love it. No TOAD just the bikes and we can even manage the country lanes.

We are just in the process of doing just that and yes "ruthlessly decluttering" definitely what has been occurring over the previous 36 hours. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back