Statins and Ezesimbe (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Not sure this is the right place for this but here goes.

I cannot take statins because of adverse side effects my doctor had put me on Ezetimibe, a non statin cholesterol reducing drug. I was wondering if anyone is taking the and if so whether they have had any adverse effects and whether it has lowered their levels.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
My husband has taken both for a number of years with no ill effects.
His Cholestrol levels stays well within the guidelines
Chris

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I stopped caring and ate more pies.

Now I need a heart bypass.

I rejected statins a few years ago due to side effects (severe cramps), wish I hadnt now as I may not have furred up my arteries and need heart surgery.

Sorry to hear that,,good luck,,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ezetrol is the same a Ezetemibe, & is generally very well tolerated.
Thanks Bill.
Doesnt appear to have any side effects for me, but taking a dozen different pills a day now I wouldnt know which was causing side effects anyway.

Btw...I though you changed your screen name to 'wild bill' :think:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I take statin, with no ill effects, so no idea about the alternative. Have you thought about the alternatives to cholesterol reducing drugs? Adopting a more Mediterranean diet has been shown to lower cholesterol, and it is yummy!

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I take statin, with no ill effects, so no idea about the alternative. Have you thought about the alternatives to cholesterol reducing drugs? Adopting a more Mediterranean diet has been shown to lower cholesterol, and it is yummy!

Yes but I have inherited high cholesterol
so even on a very careful diet I still make too much cholesterol. It's the pills for me as well as careful eating.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was put on that and gave up later ,as it gave me awful painful muscle cramps. I have a figure of 3.5 anyway and it drops too low if I take statins hence the cramps. They get paid to put you on it as a target exercise by the Government.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I was put on that and gave up later ,as it gave me awful painful muscle cramps. I have a figure of 3.5 anyway and it drops too low if I take statins hence the cramps. They get paid to put you on it as a target exercise by the Government.
So True,,,

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
My doc prescribed statins even though my cholesterol level is fine and I have been fully checked and serviced for heart problems (all a o k). He seemed to think everyone over 50 should take them "just in case", but I had awful cramps and muscle pains so came off them. His reaction was to prescribe a different statin, but I said I wouldn't take them and he didn't try to persuade me otherwise. How can paying a doctor to prescribe a drug be in the best interests of the patient?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Statins actually have such a weeny effect on your likelihood of having a CV 'event' in the first place that much of the hype about them to begin with has now proved to be incorrect.

Familial Hypercholesterolemia that @iandsm has does NOT actually always cause placque to form on the arteries or CV events - but that both of those are actually a lot more about your diet either in the past or currently, your activity ditto and also smoking - again either in the past or currently.

I'm not actually convinced (well I am convinced that statins DO NOT) that either of them help - I don't think that there is a drug that does actually help, honestly.

It is however true (they have proved this by long term studies of the people in specifically 'retirement' housing in the USA - several thousand people, followed over about 10 years - that post-menopausal women with LOW chol fare far worse on the CVD front than do their HIGHER chol peers.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
My doc prescribed statins even though my cholesterol level is fine and I have been fully checked and serviced for heart problems (all a o k). He seemed to think everyone over 50 should take them "just in case", but I had awful cramps and muscle pains so came off them. His reaction was to prescribe a different statin, but I said I wouldn't take them and he didn't try to persuade me otherwise. How can paying a doctor to prescribe a drug be in the best interests of the patient?

Its the same with all drugs its wrong but thats how business works...BUSBY.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Statins actually have such a weeny effect on your likelihood of having a CV 'event' in the first place that much of the hype about them to begin with has now proved to be incorrect.

Familial Hypercholesterolemia that @iandsm has does NOT actually always cause placque to form on the arteries or CV events - but that both of those are actually a lot more about your diet either in the past or currently, your activity ditto and also smoking - again either in the past or currently.

I'm not actually convinced (well I am convinced that statins DO NOT) that either of them help - I don't think that there is a drug that does actually help, honestly.

It is however true (they have proved this by long term studies of the people in specifically 'retirement' housing in the USA - several thousand people, followed over about 10 years - that post-menopausal women with LOW chol fare far worse on the CVD front than do their HIGHER chol peers.

Interesting post thank you, I hope you don't mind me asking on what basis you reach you conclusions in paragraphs 1 to 3. Or what qualifies you to state them. A number of medical professionals from GP's to Hospital Consultant's have said they would prefer me to take statins to lower my levels, particularly since my father died from furred up arteries at a relatively young age and both my slightly older brothers have had "events" but as I have adverse reactions to try Ezetimibe (again) in conjunction with Fenofibrate. What you say is the opposite of their advice so I am sure you will understand my question.:) Certainly diet, activity and smoking play a part since they are related to cholesterol production and retention are they not. Poor diet, lack of exercise and smoking leading to higher levels of cholesterol, which in turn leads to plaque forming in arteries, which is known to cause CHD or "events"

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your interest and I am not arguing, or saying you are wrong, just wanting to get as much information as I can.

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Been on a station for years with no side effects. Without them my cholesterol is a whopping 12. With them it comes down to a 6 which is higher than I would like it but evidently the I have plenty of the good stuff so they don't want to treat it.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Been on a station for years with no side effects. Without them my cholesterol is a whopping 12. With them it comes down to a 6 which is higher than I would like it but evidently the I have plenty of the good stuff so they don't want to treat it.

Proof indeed that statins do lower levels, if I can get back down to 6 I will be happy.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
WARNING
A few years ago having been told by my doc that I was borderline diabetic no treatment required just watch diet
and cholesterol levels were just below concern levels and would I like to go on statins /
I replied if they are not needed no thanks
I received a letter later cancelling my mortgage protection life insurance, on the grounds I had refused treatment
I did get it reinstated and a written apology
I checked my records as was concerned at a few "DECLINED TREATMENT" comments from when offered but refused medication I thought unnecessary
Be very wary what and how you refuse from your Doc as it may bite you in the ass, as it very nearly did me
and ask to see any comments your records may have in that regard
G

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
WARNING
A few years ago having been told by my doc that I was borderline diabetic no treatment required just watch diet
and cholesterol levels were just below concern levels and would I like to go on statins /
I replied if they are not needed no thanks
I received a letter later cancelling my mortgage protection life insurance, on the grounds I had refused treatment
I did get it reinstated and a written apology
I checked my records as was concerned at a few "DECLINED TREATMENT" comments from when offered but refused medication I thought unnecessary
Be very wary what and how you refuse from your Doc as it may bite you in the ass, as it very nearly did me
and ask to see any comments your records may have in that regard
G

Disturbing, but how did your GP know which insurance company your protect policy was with and why did he/she contact them about your declining treatment, presumably without your permission.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
@sedge, Interesting reading here to back up what you say: -
Amazon product ASIN 0615618170Have a look at the reviews.
Nine months ago I came off statins after reading this book. No ill effects yet.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
@sedge, Interesting reading here to back up what you say: -
Amazon product ASIN 0615618170Have a look at the reviews.
Nine months ago I came off statins after reading this book. No ill effects yet.

Hi, there doesn't seem to be a link to anything and I was wondering if your levels have gone up since being off statins and why you stopped taking them.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
If you click on the blue text just under the picture of the book you will then see the relevant Amazon page. No, levels have not gone up and the reason that I stopped taking them - explained in the book - is that statins were not doing what they were supposed to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back