North Wales for Easter (1 Viewer)

Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Since getting our motorhome in November we have only been across the channel as the Aires as so much easier but we have decided to go to North Wales for Easter to visit the castles, would it be better to book a campsite or is wild camping accepted?
And any recommendations please?

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Shell island is supposed to be good halfway between Caernarfon & Criccieth (castles) probably about 1/2 hour drive to either.

Sorry I can't help re wild camping.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Shell Island is marvoulous, we love it but at Easter I would not go near it will be so busy. Snowdonia Anglesey Betwsy-Coed all good places to visit, if you are used to Wild Camping I am sure you would find somewhere . It really depends on the weather last week end any of those places would have been great, but if it's raining a bit you could check the Chester Rally out just a few miles from the North Wales Boarder , with lots of history, tomorrow night there could be a few more places available .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Since getting our motorhome in November we have only been across the channel as the Aires as so much easier but we have decided to go to North Wales for Easter to visit the castles, would it be better to book a campsite or is wild camping accepted?
And any recommendations please?
Coed Helen Caravan site is just a short walk to Caernarfon Castle and pubs and restaurants

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You have Hendre Mynach at the top end of Barmouth, and at least three sites of varying price and quality behind Back Rock Sands, near Porthmadog, with Spar and Chippy not far down the lane at Morfa Bychan. Whilst Porthmadog doesn't exactly set the world on fire, it is nicely central for exploring Snowdonia and the Lleyn peninsula. The steam railway has a stop there, and the terrace opposite the station is home to the legendary Cob Records, a must-visit emporium for any fan of popular beat music. Free MH parking in Porthmadog can be found on the industrial estate access road opposite Lidl, just off the road towards Criccieth. Everywhere else is either a tight fit or costs money, or both.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Why North Wales, there are far more castles in Northumbria!!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Edendeb
Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Why North Wales, there are far more castles in Northumbria!!!!!!
Because i have never been to Wales so never done the castles but I have visited Northumbria and lots of the castles there. I love Northumbria I think it is one of the most amazing counties we have

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
You won`t be disappointed with the castles in Wales, there is one every few miles !
Harlech is good, just north of Barmouth, there is an excellent CC site there with award winning shower block, underfloor heating and piped music.
Best of all, a superb beach nearby (5 minutes walk across the dunes)
Wales is a very popular area at Easter, expect it to be busy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The main castles that spring readily to mind are Conwy, Caernarfon, Beaumaris (Anglesey), Criccieth and Harlech. There are others - I've yet to see the three in the middle of the map.

If you're going up the A5 through Llangollen there's Castell Dinas Bran which is in an impressive location, but it'd be a bit of an uphill hike as there's no easy MH parking nearby and the surrounding lanes are steep and narrow.

castlesmap.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Also a lot of old churches worth looking around.
Generally in the middle of nowhere.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back