Fermented Tomatoes with Basil and Garlic (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On an earlier thread I mentioned an interesting edition of the Food Programme on Radio 4 which covered fermented foods.

Of course I had to give it a try and as something like fermented cabbage or broccoli didn't leap out at me as perhaps ideal for a first go I found a recipe involving tomatoes, basil and garlic.

The recipe was American and all cups, so to speak, so this is my translated version:

325g cherry or baby plum tomatoes
500ml water
25g sea salt
A whole bulb of garlic
Fresh basil

First make the brine by dissolving the salt in a little boiling water and when it has dissolved add a few ice cubes to cool the water and then top up with cold water to 500ml.

Peel the garlic cloves and roughly chop them, I cut each clove into three pieces.

Put some of the garlic and a few whole basil leaves in the bottom of a one litre storage jar. I had a supermarket basil plant and just used the tip of a stem, which had three or four leaves on it. Then add a layer of tomatoes, but prick each tomato two or three times with a skewer before dropping them into the jar. Then add another layer of garlic and basil and another layer of tomatoes and so on. The picture below show the jar almost full.

OI000008.jpg

The jar needs to be topped off with a good layer of tomatoes to prevent any of the garlic or basil floating to the top.

OI000010.jpg

Then fill the jar with the brine, you probably won't need all of it.

OI000011.jpg

Don't overfill the jar, which is what I did. :) If you do it will over flow at the next stage - as mine did!

You need to find something which will press the tomatoes down into the brine. I found a glass tumbler which was just the right size.

OI000012.jpg

Cover with a tea towel and place somewhere dark.

It should be ready after three or four days but I will check daily. The tomatoes are supposed to have a very intense flavour.

I'll tell you how it turns out later. :D

Happy fermenting!

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Nice knife (y) it is Japanese ?

Sounds interesting. It cannot fail to taste better than Kimchi.............

Will give it a whirl sometime.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nice knife (y) it is Japanese ?

Sounds interesting. It cannot fail to taste better than Kimchi.............

Will give it a whirl sometime.
It's just a Tesco knife, a lot bigger than I used to use but I heard James Martin say you won't cut yourself so much if you use a large knife - and so far it's worked. Still got all my fingers. :)

Haven't tried kimchi but it is very spicy I believe, lots of chilli and ginger etc.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It's just a Tesco knife, a lot bigger than I used to use but I heard James Martin say you won't cut yourself so much if you use a large knife - and so far it's worked. Still got all my fingers. :)

Haven't tried kimchi but it is very spicy I believe, lots of chilli and ginger etc.
Rotting cabbage.....an acquired taste..... not as bad as trying to eat sea urchin insides with chopsticks :sicker:

A santoku knife is probably my favourite as well - very versatile(y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think making kimchi involves burying it in the ground for a few months. Sounds like the best outcome would be to forget where you buried it.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Quick update. Nothing happened for the first 24 hours but then I realised I had put it somewhere too cold so I moved it back into the kitchen and after another 24 hours bubbles started to appear. Its not exactly bubbling away like a brew of beer but then there is no added sugar. I'll give it another couple of days then taste one.

I also ditched the tea towel and put a plastic bag over it instead.

Exciting huh? :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Quick update. Nothing happened for the first 24 hours but then I realised I had put it somewhere too cold so I moved it back into the kitchen and after another 24 hours bubbles started to appear. Its not exactly bubbling away like a brew of beer but then there is no added sugar. I'll give it another couple of days then taste one.

I also ditched the tea towel and put a plastic bag over it instead.

Exciting huh? :)
Absolutely gripping stuff.

Just hope it doesn't turn into griping stuff....... :groan::imoutahere:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did you sterilise the jar first, or wasn't that necessary?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Did you sterilise the jar first, or wasn't that necessary?
I did consider that but just put it through the dishwasher. The process uses the wild yeasts on the ingredients and no doubt floating around our kitchen as we make a lot of bread.

What I'm not sure about is how long it will keep given it starts off at the stage you would throw most things out!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner

lol i have one of those knives in my caravan

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What I'm not sure about is how long it will keep given it starts off at the stage you would throw most things out!
I've done a bit more research (well OK I looked on Google) and it should last several months if kept cool. The brine acts as the preservative. It is indeed the same process as sauerkraut which @jockaneezer mentioned.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On this morning of gloom from Brussels I thought I would try one of the fermented tomatoes.

It was delicious! So much so I had to have another to confirm my first impressions. What I didn't expect was the skins have gone soft. They are sweet and taste like tomatoes on steroids. Just need to work out what to eat them with. :)

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Fingers :)

..... oh I see what you mean... If they're that tasty, then I'd think toast should be enough, like the Spanish breakfast staple of tostadas y tomate, con zumo de naranja :clap:
Sitting outside under the sun of course :sun:

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
A German / American neighbor of ours when I was a child used to make Sauerkraut and wieners, I loved it then. Haven't had it since

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suppose I ought to try sauerkraut although I can't remember ever eating it - although I suspect I might have done when I lived in Germany but I was too ignorant and callow a youth at the time to have recognised it for what it was.

Here is the BBC recipe, there are others. There's a useful tip in it which suggests the longer it is fermented the more sour it becomes. So you should taste it each day and when it is as you want - bung it in the fridge because that will stop the fermentation, or at least slow it to a snail's pace.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/simple-sauerkraut

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Having said about my dislike of sauerkraut, there's an American style deli opened up the road at Stanwix and I like their Reuben sandwiches, which contain a smattering of the adulterated brassica, maybe my tastes are maturing, wonder when the rest of me will catch up ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Inspired by your recipe and results I have put a batch on to brew today.. cheers

I didn't have fresh Basil and our village emporium/trading post only had dried..

but they and very nice ... . must do a bigger batch and use fresh Basil..

these won't last long.. yummy

12419267_1711343845746646_3275394801916681551_o.jpg

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I didn't have fresh Basil and our village emporium/trading post only had dried..

but they and very nice ... . must do a bigger batch and use fresh Basil..

these won't last long.. yummy

12419267_1711343845746646_3275394801916681551_o.jpg
I'm glad it's been a success. Fermented tomatoes sounds yucky and if it hadn't been for the radio programme it isn't something I would ever have tried.

You can ferment lots of other things, the programme mentioned water melon I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back