Inverter choice (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Want to buy an inverter to run a 800w Microwave & 1200w hairdryer, not together. Had one in old van, a sterling 1600w quasi wave, but thought this time round would buy a pure sine wave as want to use electronic hair straightners( not me before anyone starts !!).

Do i buy An expensive one or a cheap one, not going to use it a lot really, but the expensive, branded models are at least twice the price of the cheaper ones, anybody have bad experiences with the cheaper ones???.

Also do i go solar or B2B, they work out about the same cost. don't stay anywhere without moving every couple or three days, & used in uk not europe.

Have a Hymer eletroblock EB99, not sure if thats a problem with the B2B?.

Karl

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have a 1800w pure sine inverter- Pure sine because Nikki's hair straightens require pure sine.
I had 1800w quasi wave which didn't work some things, (good though)

I have solar panels x2 but in my experience you can't beat a B2B running the engine when using the appliances you want to use- on my last van I had a microwave too which worked well.

I have just got a new B2B which I will be fitting this week hopefully.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I understand that a B2B can be fitted with an EBL99 but I would make sure you get someone who understands EBLs to fit it. There is a direct link from both starter and leisure batteries to the EBL and the charging and other control relays are contained within the EBL. There is no separate split-charge relay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I understand that a B2B can be fitted with an EBL99 but I would make sure you get someone who understands EBLs to fit it. There is a direct link from both starter and leisure batteries to the EBL and the charging and other control relays are contained within the EBL. There is no separate split-charge relay.

it doesn't matter, it can work as well as and completely independent. On my last van @jonandshell fitted some clever relays to bypass certain things which is ideal, but my chats with Charlie Sterling tell me it won't matter.

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I have a 1800w pure sine inverter- Pure sine because Nikki's hair straightens require pure sine.
I had 1800w quasi wave which didn't work some things, (good though)

I have solar panels x2 but in my experience you can't beat a B2B running the engine when using the appliances you want to use- on my last van I had a microwave too which worked well.

I have just got a new B2B which I will be fitting this week hopefully.

What Inverter did you buy ?

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I Also forgot to mention, went to harrogate show today & talking to a trader there who sells inverters,
i was after an inverter with a remote switch to turn it off, the trader said with modern inverters
a remote switch is not necessary as it only works on demand so consumes no current when not in use.

Any opinions?

Karl

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
mine has a remote, I don't just leave it on but can't comment on any problem with doing so, maybe heat?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I Also forgot to mention, went to harrogate show today & talking to a trader there who sells inverters,
i was after an inverter with a remote switch to turn it off, the trader said with modern inverters
a remote switch is not necessary as it only works on demand so consumes no current when not in use.

Any opinions?

Karl

Not heard that before but you would have to be careful and switch the fridge over manually from 12 volts travelling to gas on site otherwise if its AES it will use the 240volts off the inverter.

We have a Merlin 2000watt Pure sine with remote switch.

Martin
Edit, should have said its not as expensive as some but more than others at about £700.

OP
OP
C
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I got a sterling one, I like Charles, he's good for a chat and knows his stuff. http://sterling-power.com/collectio...ine-wave-inverters-with-rcd?variant=891769223

This is twice the price of the cheaper ones ,I was trying to avoid spending that much hence asking about the cheaper alternatives.

Not heard that before but you would have to be careful and switch the fridge over manually from 12 volts travelling to gas on site otherwise if its AES it will use the 240volts off the inverter.

We have a Merlin 2000watt Pure sine with remote switch.

Martin
Edit, should have said its not as expensive as some but more than others at about £700.

the inverter would only be connected to one socket, not all of them in the van, so turning the inverter off
would only affect the one socket.

Karl

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Even with remote switch most inverters still draw 1 or 2 amps when on standby, better to switch it off when not in use.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
This is twice the price of the cheaper ones ,I was trying to avoid spending that much hence asking about the cheaper alternatives.

the inverter would only be connected to one socket, not all of them in the van, so turning the inverter off
would only affect the one socket.

Karl

I thought mine was cheap. ..beware cheap Chinese. .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back