Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi All

Only kidding about the Transvestite bit, well actually it was a slip up by the tour Guide in the Niesmann+Bischoff factory but if you google transverse from English to German it is something like queer and then back to English one of the options is Transvestite hence the slip up.

Anyway the real question is, If Concorde offered a Transverse bed option on the Charisma for example who would be interested in this when second hand, it has been suggested that the factory may build this option as a one off if we asked nicely but how saleable would it be in the future.

Your thoughts please.

Our Niesmann Flair that we currently have is 8.5 metres and it would be nice to knock around half a metre off if possible for our next van.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Transverse with front drop down the best use of space and will be what we go for if there is to be another van..

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Transverse with front drop down the best use of space and will be what we go for if there is to be another van..
Ah well, we would want cupboards all around the front as well.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ah well, we would want cupboards all around the front as well.

Martin

Lots of people do that as well my friend has with his hymer. We have 20 year old kids who are known to join us....

I dont get the obsession with single beds to be honest. I love my wife and like a cuddle specially on a stormy night....nothing better:being snuggled down in a comfy bed:)

The drop down handy for rows and if we feel to hot...its all about choices...

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Im with you Judge, well not literally you know. Our van was built as single beds and we slept one night like that and then I modded it to make a big Transverse double, advantage is the garage is bigger as well. lots of people are not keen on them though hence my question.

Martiin

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi All

Only kidding about the Transvestite bit, well actually it was a slip up by the tour Guide in the Niesmann+Bischoff factory but if you google transverse from English to German it is something like queer and then back to English one of the options is Transvestite hence the slip up.

Anyway the real question is, If Concorde offered a Transverse bed option on the Charisma for example who would be interested in this when second hand, it has been suggested that the factory may build this option as a one off if we asked nicely but how saleable would it be in the future.

Your thoughts please.

Our Niesmann Flair that we currently have is 8.5 metres and it would be nice to knock around half a metre off if possible for our next van.

Martin
Just had a look at them £200k+ for a Motorhome :eek:, some trill that to take a risk with for a traverse bed
Good luck whatever you do thou(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just had a look at them £200k+ for a Motorhome :eek:, some trill that to take a risk with for a traverse bed
Good luck whatever you do thou(y)

Bonkers money when you can get something that does the job well under 100k. I think this can get out of hand. That being said personally would be happy to live full time in such a vehicle...not the wife though:(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You are right they are not cheap, but it's only money.

Martin

says a man who has not suffered the 'luxury' of kids :LOL:

my daughters have consumed that much and more in the past 30 years

that said, guessing at your tax bills over recent years, get it spent, you cant take it with you (y)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bonkers money when you can get something that does the job well under 100k. I think this can get out of hand. That being said personally would be happy to live full time in such a vehicle...not the wife though:(
Well we do spend more time in the MH than we do at home, and yes you can do the same for a lot less but that applies to everything in life, cars, bikes, watches etc etc.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
says a man who has not suffered the 'luxury' of kids :LOL:

my daughters have consumed that much and more in the past 30 years

that said, guessing at your tax bills over recent years, get it spent, you cant take it with you (y)
You hit the nail on the head David.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well we do spend more time in the MH than we do at home, and yes you can do the same for a lot less but that applies to everything in life, cars, bikes, watches etc etc.

Martin

With you on watches!

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
But we digress, the question was Transverse bed or not, would you go that way to keep the overall length down.

Martin

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Transverse bed and cupboards all round the front. You have got my vote (y)

Can I have first refusal when you come to sell it please :D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But we digress, the question was Transverse bed or not, would you go that way to keep the overall length down.

Martin

I am looking to go up a little in length to get similar layout to ours but with island bed, so no, for me, I am already struggling getting on and off a transverse bed

That said I am always amazed just how little lounge area we already have in an 8m MH, definitely an inverse tardis, bigger out than in :)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We have a transverse rear bed and cupboards up front. That's all we need for 2 of us. But we are both agreed we would prefer an island bed or the more recent arrangement we've seen where 2 singles are filled in with a central section even if it means extra overall length. Garage is a pre-requisite for me so a fixed rear bed of some kind seems to go with that layout. The transverse layout isn't the most convenient for getting in and out of bed though, (especially as we get older).

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have a transverse island bed. Would not like one over a garage though as I would not like to be climbing over each other to get in/out of bed. The van is under 7.5 metres. Took me a while to find this layout but eventually found it. I don't think we will be changing it any time soon. We hired a few before we bought trying various layouts before deciding we wanted bits from each of them. I don't think the perfect van for most of us exists. We found this one when we were looking at an 8.5m van. Just lucky I think. Sometimes that's how it goes.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
As you now Martin @funflair we have a tranverse bed. Its great to get the length of the van down but it is a pain climbing over each other for the middle of the night toilet trips that affect you more as you get older. Its also more difficult getting in the over bed cupboards. Mostly for this reason we use the two beds ( front dropdown) so we get one each and loads of space. IMHO a tranverse only works for a couple if you have an alternative.

I also think that if Concorde, Morello, Pheonix thought they would sell, they would already be making them.

And a further point, we re currently considering a larger MH, currently 7.5m and have spent the last 3 months in it with a weather eye on 'if it was another metre would I get in here?' and its not many places that you can't and once you ve been doing it a few years you tend to know where they are. We re looking at 8.5 and would stretch to 9M

Just my fourpennorth, hope it helps.

Jon

btw nice 800 vario sport on mobile.de with tranverse and front cupboards. bit pricey for the age though.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jon

We are 8.5 now and it's OK, as you say over the two months we have been away and previous trips there is nowhere we have not got so what is our problem you might ask. If we do ever change we have to get something different otherwise there is no point as this van is a hard act to follow, we don't want or need bigger than 8.5 so smaller is the other option, the current range of Concorde, Morelo, Niesmann etc are all taller than our Flair and that could actually be a bigger issue than length and makes me ask why bother. Will have a look at that Vario but they are all good money, I do like the fibreglass body and the cranked roof to keep the height down!

Talking to the guy in Niesmann camping last year he said they had a customer who wanted a special Charisma transverse bed building, it would be 8.09 metres on the shorter wheelbase than ours, maybe wait for him to find out it was a mistake and sell it straight away at a huge loss.

Dusseldorf this year for sure.

Martin

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
The MH I always wanted but could not afford at the time was the Autocruise Starseeker. This had a transverse bed which was low, just as a bed at home - never been interested in any bed I had to use a ladder/step to get into. The original also had a window in the rear which was removed on later models, and it got longer, but still under 7 mt. Not many of them about and now have a PVC which I like, although the bed is not transverse.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
why do they make transverse beds so high, ( I know garage space) but why not make them adjustable up/down, it would not need to able to be done by the end user on a daily basis, but to be able to be done by a service agent, a bed that could be moved to pre existing hights on pre instaled fixings with ajustable front pannels would surly be a bounus for people who dont need high garage space and are no longer able to climb steps to get into bed.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
why do they make transverse beds so high, ( I know garage space) but why not make them adjustable up/down, it would not need to able to be done by the end user on a daily basis, but to be able to be done by a service agent, a bed that could be moved to pre existing hights on pre instaled fixings with ajustable front pannels would surly be a bounus for people who dont need high garage space and are no longer able to climb steps to get into bed.

Good point, I have seen one N+B Flair where the owner had dropped the bed down about 12 inches but then it was lower than the top of the garage door and totally spoilt the garage for anybody wanting to use that space, also the bedroom doors were then 12 inches short!

Maybe I have lulled myself into a false view of transverse beds as ours has a nice set of steps up to it without any big jump but that is because it was built as two singles with the steps up in between, I have simply turned around the bed bases and made the transverse with room for a couple of bedside draws and somewhere for a cup of tea.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We re planning on dusseldorf this year too martin @funflair, but not currently planning to buy new because I think you get a lot of mh with a lot of toys on the used german market and dont fancy the future problems i think will come with euro6.

Planning to go on to look atr whatever is on mobile.de afterwards. Would love to look at aforementioned vario perfect but hope he has reduced it by then because too much to spend for that age IMO.

Mind you I think could be a nice d-liner available by then

See you in the beer tent!!

Jon

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a Rimor which had a 'low' transverse bed and whilst it was easier to get in/out it did restrict what could be put in the garage - we had to take the front wheels of the bikes to lower their height which was a nuisance. We also had a Chaussson which had a height adjustable bed over a garage (winding handle/straps - although they also do an electric version) but again, if it was low the garage was restricted. The only way to get a good height garage and a lowish transverse bed it one with a double floor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back