Fort William Parking (1 Viewer)

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
While parked in a Council car park in Fort William today, I was surprised when two yellow Highland Council vans came in and what appeared to be Parking Officers came round and put Parking Notice envelopes on all Motorhomes which were parked there. I opened the envelope left on my van, which contained a letter from the Council welcoming us to the area, but stating there was strictly no overnight parking in Council car parks in this area. They now where employing staff to go around after 10pm and would be booking any vans on car parks with a ÂŁ20 fine. Looks like they mean business.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that has been the case for a few years now .i have a mate who works taxi,s at night in fort william he can legally sleep in his truck during the day and park at work during the night. so it does please someone. look for a purple daf 45 , tell him you know me. cheers alan.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Give Fort William its due though. At least the supermarket there has got special bays marked out for Motorhomes. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Leaving for Fort William within the hour, we usually park behind the supermarket but not overnight. Actually booked into the Lochy for the weekend, family celebration, my wife's aunt is eighty tomorrow.

rgds
Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As Alan says, the restriction is nothing new. It's the same throughout the Highland Council area.

Nice to see that the council is constructive enough to provide a friendly warning rather than simply ticket people ignoring the regulation. It doesn't surprise me though as they have gone out of their way to provide detailed, helpful responses when I've asked for information.

Graham

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Sad though that the councils could not dare to think outside the box and privide some Aires de Service places at, say, a tenner for 48 hours maximum.

Having said that the ÂŁ20 fixed penalty is a much more reasonable slap on the wrist than the usual draconian ÂŁ70 that is common hereabouts.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sad though that the councils could not dare to think outside the box and privide some Aires de Service places at, say, a tenner for 48 hours maximum.

Yes, I totally agree .. but from the local site owners point of view it wouldn't be a good idea..
I guess the council have to consider the local business interests first, it's a fairly short season and if the sites closed due to loss of motorhome trade the local businessess would also lose.

jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, I totally agree .. but from the local site owners point of view it wouldn't be a good idea..
I guess the council have to consider the local business interests first, it's a fairly short season and if the sites closed due to loss of motorhome trade the local businessess would also lose.

jim

Exactly Jim. It's easy for us to forget, sometimes, that there are interests other than our own.

Having said that, if anyone believes that there is a need for overnight facilities in the area then an approach to the council, spelling out the economic benefits which would accrue and showing that it would not be detrimental to local businesses, could well bring results beneficial to all.

Graham

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
It is worth remembering that the main car park in Fort William doubles as an emergency landing site for helicopters on mountain rescues. That is why they try to keep it clear at night.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is worth remembering that the main car park in Fort William doubles as an emergency landing site for helicopters on mountain rescues. That is why they try to keep it clear at night.

Thanks. Never even thought of that. I'm sure we will all agree that such services should take priority.

Graham

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Fort William Main Car Park

Most helicopter rescues are made during the day, the car park is deserted at night anyway.
During the day most parked vehicles are empty with owners off shopping etc, so clearing it for helicopter landing is not viable.

If this was meant to be an EMERGENCY landing area it would be so marked

Alf

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Clearly you do not understand, alternative landing sites are available during the day which cannot be used at night, that is why the car park is used and it is signed.
I should also point out that after thirty years dealing with mountain rescues in this area I can assure you that most do not occur during the day. Climbers are most often reported missing when they fail to return at the end of the day.

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp

Clearly you do not understand, alternative landing sites are available during the day which cannot be used at night, that is why the car park is used and it is signed.
I should also point out that after thirty years dealing with mountain rescues in this area I can assure you that most do not occur during the day. Climbers are most often reported missing when they fail to return at the end of the day.

Charlie24
The car park is for 24 hour parking 20 cars could make this car park unusable for helicopter landing there is no big H there is not an exclusion zone for no parking there are 4 more sites available, the playing field nearer the hospital ought to be better
So if this were to be an EMERGENCY landing area it would be signed.

As it is the letters the local Lochaber Council are distributing are as far as I am aware to warn motor caravan owners there is no overnight camping, if you wish to park your motor caravan overnight and NOT stay in it you can do so for free.
The car park charges run from 8.00 in the morning to 18.00 evening after which it is free parking if my memory serves me correct.

If any area is for an emergency what ever it is marked as such and responsible people will accept it as such.

Alf

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
difficult but i agree with both alf and charlie.

with charlie,

if i fell off a mountain and did myself a 'serious' and my life depended on getting to a hospital i wouldnt want the pilot to have to look for an alternative landing area just because the carpark isnt signed as an emergency helipad and has vehicles parked overnight.

with alf,

yes, if its used as an emergency helipad it should be clearly signed as such and, as the supermarket will be closed overnight and wont lose out financially, it should be gated as well with only the emergency services having access.

all this said, if a helicopter is needed it usually means someone is seriously hurt so why dont the rescue crew fly straight to inverness with casualties.
got to be quicker than road ambulance.

Last edited:

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
difficult but i agree with both alf and charlie.

with charlie,

if i fell off a mountain and did myself a 'serious' and my life depended on getting to a hospital i wouldnt want the pilot to have to look for an alternative landing area just because the carpark isnt signed as an emergency helipad and has vehicles parked overnight.

with alf,

yes, if its used as an emergency helipad it should be clearly signed as such and, as the supermarket will be closed overnight and wont lose out financially, it should be gated as well with only the emergency services having access.

this said, if a helicopter is needed it usually means someone is seriously hurt so why dont the rescue crew fly straight to inverness with casualties.
got to be quicker than road ambulance.

They do but IF it is a EMERGENCY the Police / Coastguard will close a road or beach etc they land on the A1 /M1 when needed a car park is not like a road or beach that can be cleared quickly any site could be called an alternative landing site I do not know the designated landing site in Fort William perhaps charli24 could update us..
The school playing field across from the hospital is closed at night and nearer, the railway car park is as near when required the pilot will radio ahead and will be informed what site to land at.

The point I was trying to make is cars parked at night HOW do you ask the driver to move when he is not there the helicopter can't wait can he.

Alf

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Whoa!!! steady on Alf.......im agreeing with you mate. i think :Blush:

with alf,

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp

Pappajohn :thumb: :drink:hardhat

Sorry if you thought I was having a go at you I was just quoting your post

Update on Official Helicopter Landing Area Fort William

The main landing site being at the paper mill at Corpach and the secondary site when availiable is at the West End car park. This is the designated landing area for the RAF / NAVY / COASTGUARD helicopters according to HM Coadtguard.
( If you are interested you can look at Google Earth and the paper mill has a H in a big circle ) :restmycase:

as to the letters by the council perhaps Supertractorman can inform us what they said.

I don' know if Morrisons is a 24 hour supermarket
( another subject -- the new Tesco at Wick is a 24hr Fuel and Supermarket )

Alf

OP
OP
Supertractorman

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

Sorry I have not been back to you on this, either been parked up with no electrics to charge laptop, or had electrics and no signal. You can't win.
Unfortunately we binned the letter but it did refer to helicopters landing, I think at night.
I was more concerned that the letter was in a parking fine envelope, and could give folks palpitations thinking they were being fined instead of finding a friendly letter.:RollEyes:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Hi

I posted this in answer to another thread. All the CP's were populated with many foreign plated MH's which all stated No Overnight Parking. Including the Lorry park behind Morrisons. The Link is here:-

Link Removed

Judging by this latest news, I wonder how long this one will last :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back