Blind spots at junctions (1 Viewer)

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
I had hairy moments in Spain at give way junctions that are on an angle and because of the size and blind spots of the MH I cannot see traffic approaching me.There were times i had no choice but to play russian roulette. Adjusting the passenger mirror did not solve anything. Can anyone help me to solve this issue of mine?. Am a solo driver, RHD.

OP
OP
D

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
My issue is the complete opposite of yours. I fitted an extra window

I do have a window that helps me sometimes but does not always work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Try to angle your approach to the give way line as square on as you can, in some cases it might mean that you have to do a small manoeuvre before getting to the line. Occasionally you don't have the room but it is best practice wherever you can do it.

OP
OP
D

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
Try to angle your approach to the give way line as square on as you can, in some cases it might mean that you have to do a small manoeuvre before getting to the line. Occasionally you don't have the room but it is best practice wherever you can do it.

There were times that i was able to do just that. I found this site Broken Link Removed and am wondering if it is what i need.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
There were times that i was able to do just that. I found this site Broken Link Removed and am wondering if it is what i need.

Just seen the picture in the link!! Can't believe how close the following car is to the one in front...no wonder he can't see far ahead!!
Seriously, might help when stuck behind larger vehicles but not much good seeing hard left or right I wouldn't have thought.

OP
OP
D

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
Just seen the picture in the link!! Can't believe how close the following car is to the one in front...no wonder he can't see far ahead!!
Seriously, might help when stuck behind larger vehicles but not much good seeing hard left or right I wouldn't have thought.

You'll see this all the time on the roads in France and Spain. Worst of all is when big lorries creep up very close to your tail before overtaking and when they do overtake they pull in very close to the front forcing you to use the brakes. :eek:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
You'll see this all the time on the roads in France and Spain. Worst of all is when big lorries creep up very close to your tail before overtaking and when they do overtake they pull in very close to the front forcing you to use the brakes. :eek:

Not only over the water either...Plenty do it over here..!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Its not satisfactory to gamble. I would stay in UK or seek a travel companion.

OP
OP
D

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
Its not satisfactory to gamble. I would stay in UK or seek a travel companion.

I understand that taking a gamble is not good and i intend to travel there again. The reason i am here is to see if anyone has a cheap solution and it is obvious nobody has. Before i left the UK, was advised to have a camera fitted to the top of my mirror as it would solve this problem and it did not. I guess i will need to go back to him and have it placed elsewhere, ie: the top side of the motorhome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A cheap rear view camera mounted so it looks out of the side rather than the rear would do the trick, if you have a monitor with dual input you could switch between this view and a rear view one too.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just another thought - what about a dash cam? Again this could be mounted to look to the side?

Examples:

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
D

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
A cheap rear view camera mounted so it looks out of the side rather than the rear would do the trick, if you have a monitor with dual input you could switch between this view and a rear view one too.

Thank you Minxy Girl, I have the dual input and all I need is to get the guy to shift the camera from the wing mirror to the side of the van

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
That was my solution too. I just haven't got around to fitting the extra camera yet, but I would have done it by now if I did most of the driving on my own.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our van is LHD whilst in UK we have a blind spot,I fitted a fish eye rear view camera over the passengers side widow connected to radio head set as my reversing cameras have their own monitor.
It works a treat when driving on my own and don't need it when the other half is with me or we are over the channel.

OP
OP
D

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
This is where my camera is fitted
20160319_165505.jpg

Deleted User
Two solutions without technology, either position yourself at right angles(as already mentioned) or try and get parallel with the road so you can see with the mirrors which is easier if there is a bit of hard shoulder.

I have to do one of these manoeuvres at most junctions in the UK or on the continent due to being old and can't swivel my neck much:)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Two solutions without technology, either position yourself at right angles(as already mentioned) or try and get parallel with the road so you can see with the mirrors which is easier if there is a bit of hard shoulder.

I have to do one of these manoeuvres at most junctions in the UK or on the continent due to being old and can't swivel my neck much:)
Yes I always try to get as square as I can but you can't always do it so the camera is a great aid considering it cost me nothing as I had the camera already.

Deleted User
Yes I always try to get as square as I can but you can't always do it so the camera is a great aid considering it cost me nothing as I had the camera already.

I am a bit of a dinosaur, technophobe or whatever, no sat nav, no reversing cameras although I recently bought a dash cam.......not figured out how to set it up yet though.

I'm not that bad really it's just lethargy:)

OP
OP
D

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
I am a bit of a dinosaur, technophobe or whatever, no sat nav, no reversing cameras although I recently bought a dash cam.......not figured out how to set it up yet though.

I'm not that bad really it's just lethargy:)

I just love gadgets and wish I was there to show you how to switch it on ;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Or drive a little faster so that trucks don't need to overtake. :D;)

If only we could .:(

That is normally to see only the road ahead, to allow overtaking.

Ed-E

Free Member
Apr 2, 2016
Wigan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Two Weeks :)
I just ordered a couple of these: and intend to try them on the side windows. I might also invest in a second camera for my reversing system and put it to the side (blind spot)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Have tried a Fresno/ fresnel (spelling) lens? They were being given away by dvsa to left hand drive trucks at the ports at one time. They help to get rid of blind spots. I have driven a truck with one fitted, it did make a big difference.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I fitted a camera beneath the passenger mirror (cheap reversing camera from Banggood). I tried it the other day at a swine of a junction close to home and it helped a lot. The only down side was the sun was shining straight into the camera.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Have tried a Fresno/ fresnel (spelling) lens? They were being given away by dvsa to left hand drive trucks at the ports at one time. They help to get rid of blind spots. I have driven a truck with one fitted, it did make a big difference.

Beat me to it. VERY useful. I had one on the R-V. (LHD) "squaring up" at junctions even if you hog 2 lanes is my other preferred option.

Pete

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I've seen those fitted to the back window of vans, but never as a sideways blind spot aid. Whereabouts are they fitted?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back