Battery died. Nae joy. (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
first outing this year wilding. After about 3 hours the leisure battery was dead. Seemed healthy in November at the hab check when it was tested and was fully charged on arrival. Was just running the usual. Minimum lights and telly. Looks like a trip to Kirkcaldy caravans today for a new leisure battery. Just a thought. How long could I safely run things off the engine battery before I run the risk of not starting the engine? TIA

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
That depends on the ah of the engine battery, it's state of charge & how much current your habitation devices are drawing & for how long - in short probably not very long at all.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
That depends on the ah of the engine battery, it's state of charge & how much current your habitation devices are drawing & for how long - in short probably not very long at all.
Not very long was what i was thinking as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
If you need anything that you think will take a lot of power run the engine while using it.

I do this when starting our diesel heater because of the high initial power needed to start it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Will your engine battery work anything our habitation area only works of leisure battery

Joe

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Having flattened my cab battery a couple too many times doing more or less what you are proposing I would say don't do it at all

Does your leisure battery charge when engine is running? I presume it does from your comment that you arrived fully charged, then as above stick with leisure battery and run engine (y) I was amazed how much power it put in quite quickly, and it warms the MH as well

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
If you do require a new battery have a look at BatteryMegastore -Much cheaper than most if not all caravan dealers and delivered with 4 yr warranty, to your door, next day.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thank for everyone's replies. Wilding again tonight so trying out the new battery. Unfortunately needed it quicker than battery megastore but will bear that in mind for the future.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thank for everyone's replies. Wilding again tonight so trying out the new battery. Unfortunately needed it quicker than battery megastore but will bear that in mind for the future.
If it goes bad again try the parasitic drain test with a multimeter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back