Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
My clutch has gone on my Motorhome
Recoverd of A9 peage taken to peougot main dealer
Can't repair until Wednesday was offered car hire to get us back to Calais then foot passenger across to Dover and car hire home when vehicle repaired repeat journey back
Big problem we have two dogs cannot get them across channel without a vehicle !!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That about sums it up.....

Four hire cars at their expense......or a quick recovery to a different dealers who can do it straight away.

And folks wonder why breakdown recovery is expensive. :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Oh dear, how distressing for you all, I hope your situation improves, sorry I can't offer any meaningful advice.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You're probably best off staying put in your motorhome. If not possible to stay in it overnight while it's actually being fixed ( I've no idea how long these things take) would recovery pay a motel for you ? All the chains ( campanile, Formule etc) are usually on edge of cities/towns and you can take dogs in rooms.
For anyone ever in a similar position--- under French law you can't be refused a rental property-- gite, , B&B , on grounds of having a " companion animal"

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You're probably best off staying put in your motorhome. If not possible to stay in it overnight while it's actually being fixed ( I've no idea how long these things take) would recovery pay a motel for you ? All the chains ( campanile, Formule etc) are usually on edge of cities/towns and you can take dogs in rooms.
For anyone ever in a similar position--- under French law you can't be refused a rental property-- gite, , B&B , on grounds of having a " companion animal"
They should hire you a car and provide a hotel...I broke down there seven years ago and they towed my car to main Peugeot dealer ..Four days,,could not rush them..BUSBY.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Can't repair until Wednesday was offered car hire to get us back to Calais then foot passenger across to Dover and car hire home when vehicle repaired repeat journey back
Big problem we have two dogs cannot get them across channel without a vehicle !!!!
Sorry to read about your breakdowns? Do you have European breakdown cover? When we broke down last year in Spain our breakdown covered us for 3 nights in a hotel, including the dog. The rest of the week we spent in the Motorhome in the repairing garages compound, while waiting for the parts to turn up.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Who is your breakdown company? When we broke down in Carcassonne, AA gave us a hire car which they arranged to swap at Calais for a UK reg car, a brand new Hyundai, 17 miles on the clock, to get us back home...

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Hire a motorhome over there and carry on your holiday?

Pick it up on the way back?

Just a thought

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Not a lot of help to you but might help someone in an emergency....... I once was in a similar position, clutch cable snapped, found I could change gear by 'matching' engine revs to gearbox.... raising revs between gear changes and avoided stopping (when I did I switched off engine, put car in 1st and used the starter motor to pull away and restart the engine)... got me home...... 120 miles

..as I said it was an emergency........(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Worst case buy a cheap tent from a supermarket and camp with dogs. Except p most campsites probably still closed but you might be lucky.

But as already suggested stay in the MH. It has beds.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Sorry to hear your plight. We had breakdown in Bordeaux few months ago. Had to wait a week for repair ( new year). Rac paid for car hire but we had to pay own accomodation. Horrible situation to be in. Best wishes .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Worst case buy a cheap tent from a supermarket and camp with dogs. Except p most campsites probably still closed but you might be lucky.
But as already suggested stay in the MH. It has beds.

You can't really breakdown in a MH.... you have : a bed; a toilet; a cooker; food and water (and alcohol) .... and a phone, a breakdown is just an unexpected stopover.......try and stay positive!

(y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Not a lot of help to you but might help someone in an emergency....... I once was in a similar position, clutch cable snapped, found I could change gear by 'matching' engine revs to gearbox.... raising revs between gear changes and avoided stopping (when I did I switched off engine, put car in 1st and used the starter motor to pull away and restart the engine)... got me home...... 120 miles

..as I said it was an emergency........(y)

Hi.
All good advice,B&B group hotels take dogs,plus B/bashers above,can be done easily after a few miles,do it anytime after 22.00hrs,not so much traffic to impede your progress.
Best of luck.
tea Bag

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Sorry to hear your plight. We had breakdown in Bordeaux few months ago. Had to wait a week for repair ( new year). Rac paid for car hire but we had to pay own accomodation. Horrible situation to be in. Best wishes .
ADAC would have paid hotel as well,,,,,BUSBY.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
You can't really breakdown in a MH.... you have : a bed; a toilet; a cooker; food and water (and alcohol) .... and a phone, a breakdown is just an unexpected stopover.......try and stay positive!

(y)
Its a bit worse than that if they dont allow you to sleep in the garage! You suddenly feel homeless.Everything you have is in your motorhome and you have to go off and find somewhere to stay. Pack up your stuff in a ruck sac and few carrier bags.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I just can't see any point in coming back, even if it's paid for, if it's in on Wednesday it'll be on the road again Thursday, personly if I was in that situation I wouldn't bother with the breakdown people any more, apart from trying to get some accomadation paid for, they have got you off the road and to a garage, and hopefully you can stay in the van , if not get a b&b , then you are still on holiday not tearing up and down motorways, you will have to pay for the repairs anyway so don't see how you are any worse off staying with it.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Broke down in exactly the same place and spent a day in Perpignan as the main dealership dealt with our problem ( ECU had gone crazy , CTL ALT DEL cure by the French dealership didn't work as it went crazy again in Carcassone ! )
Kinda limped home on a wing and a prayer , final run to Caen the van behaved itself so didn't turn off the engine till we got on the ferry .
As I remember there was nowhere to stay in the dealership with the van .
Perpignan nice enough place to wile away a day or two though
AA were absolutely USELESS and incompetent beyond words .
New ECU fitted under warranty in Chester on return .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just reading this thread and don't really want to take it off track but don't think it's worth another thread, is breakdown really all it's cracked up to be, seeing as how it's got to be mended there anyway, how much would it have cost to get the mh towed in direct with the garage, in fact as someone else posted if it would still drive it could of maybe limped there under its own steam, and you can still live in it while thinking what to do, only asking as my greenflag has just run out and not sure whether to renew as its £120 I'm sure that would get me a tow if I wanted one.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Just reading this thread and don't really want to take it off track but don't think it's worth another thread, is breakdown really all it's cracked up to be, seeing as how it's got to be mended there anyway, how much would it have cost to get the mh towed in direct with the garage, in fact as someone else posted if it would still drive it could of maybe limped there under its own steam, and you can still live in it while thinking what to do, only asking as my greenflag has just run out and not sure whether to renew as its £120 I'm sure that would get me a tow if I wanted one.

Last time i broke down i was up in the mountains in Andalucia,,,would not have had a clue who to ring. ADAC had a recovery vehicle with me in 50 mins.Recovered me to Rhonda,,friday afternoon,,paid for car hire and hotel over the weekend,,Piece of mind for £80 a year....BUSBY.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I always thought that normal breakdown cover didn't cover you if you were on a peage ?

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Just reading this thread and don't really want to take it off track but don't think it's worth another thread, is breakdown really all it's cracked up to be, seeing as how it's got to be mended there anyway, how much would it have cost to get the mh towed in direct with the garage, in fact as someone else posted if it would still drive it could of maybe limped there under its own steam, and you can still live in it while thinking what to do, only asking as my greenflag has just run out and not sure whether to renew as its £120 I'm sure that would get me a tow if I wanted one.[/QUO

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I always thought that normal breakdown cover didn't cover you if you were on a peage ?
It doesn't but they will pay for the recovery off the Peage and take over from there. BUSBY.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It doesn't but they will pay for the recovery off the Peage and take over from there. BUSBY.
Aha. That's good to know.
A pal of mine broke down on a Peage with no cover and was charged about 500 Euros to drag him off.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
ditto. clutch is only a days work. find a hotel that allows dogs and chill...get insurance to pay for it..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
ditto. clutch is only a days work. find a hotel that allows dogs and chill...get insurance to pay for it..
My breakdown in Perpignan was only a two hour job but car had to wait its turn in the queue,,three days,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back