coachbuilt (1 Viewer)

mr&mrsb

Free Member
Aug 18, 2009
Northamptonshire
Funster No
I know this might seem a silly question to some but what exactly does this mean when it's said about a motorhome that its coach built?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know this might seem a silly question to some but what exactly does this mean when it's said about a motorhome that its coach built?

Good question - would take it to mean a purpose made body rather than a Panel Van Conversion ( PVC ). That would be RVs, A-Class with a full body and cab and C-Class with a van cab and custom back ( the majority on the road ).

But I may be wrong.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Good question - would take it to mean a purpose made body rather than a Panel Van Conversion ( PVC ). That would be RVs, A-Class with a full body and cab and C-Class with a van cab and custom back ( the majority on the road ).

But I may be wrong.

Would agree totally thats how I would take it

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We all drive them but dont know what they're called, but when they go wrong we know what to call them ##@*$+# !

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for that info i think i undersatand that.
So is Coach built better ?

I wouldn't say better. Like many other things, what is best for one doesn't suit another. The best motorhome for you is the one which best fits your requirements.

You only have to look at the range of vehicles at a Fun rally to realise that it's the people that matter not the vehicles :Smile:

Graham

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for that info i think i undersatand that.
So is Coach built better ?

Bigger is the operative word. Although not that much wider the extra foot or so makes a huge difference as far as I can see. And once you have that extra space it becomes more of a home.

On the other hand, a plain van body will give better fuel consumption.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On the other hand, a plain van body will give better fuel consumption.

Agreed, it's also less likely to leak ... coachbuilts are prone to this simply because of the number of joints that invariably leak due to the mastic drying out and the flexing of the body.. if it's not rectified quickly rot will quickly destroy the wooden frames.. a costly repair will ensue.. for that reason a panel van conversion makes a not necessarily better motorhome .. but one that lasts longer.

In saying that, Hymer (there may be others) use aluminium frames and double skinned aluminium walls.. that's why you see so many elderly Hymers still going strong when many of their peers have fallen apart.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
jim is right british coachbuilts still use the tecnique of hundreds of years ago never improved .most use poor quality wood in the construction. its about time for change but will it happen probably not. people keep buying them . i would say only buy a camper if its built with aluminium framework. keep asking the dealers, let them know what you want. look at the old german caravans still around ,then look at the british version. just like the british motorcar it wont change till they die. cheers alan.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
british coachbuilts still use the tecnique of hundreds of years ago never improved .most use poor quality wood in the construction. .

Indeed, to actually call them 'coach built' is stretching the truth, it conjures up an image of a craftsman toiling away using a spoke shave on quality timber, making proper joints, glued and screwed, just like the old stage coaches .. but nothing could be further from the truth.. in reality Caravan built would be a better term, for most if not all UK motorhome builders started out building caravans.. not coaches.

As you say Alan, until people stop buying them they will never get better.. but in all fairness, if they were 'coach built' they would cost four times as much.. and few could afford them.. and why many aspire to a Hymer ..

by the way, I have never owned one.. i'm an aspirer :roflmto: one day soon I will chop in the RV for a proper motor home :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back