pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Being a biker and a motorhomer reading another popular thread on a bike forum, the question was how come there are not many black or asian bikers? I have a mate who is half jamican and loves his bmw, I have yet to see a non white motorhomer on our travels.:cautious:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Only ever seen a black family in a motorhome once....you tend to remember these moments.

Maybe the nomadic lifestyle is too close to (historic) home for them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There was a black English guy on the site we're on at the moment down in Spain but you don't see many.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
It's no surprise with the blatant racism expressed by several members of this website; we cannot abide racism at any level. Keep on truckin' with Suzy n Toby Trux.

I don't believe racism plays any part in who owns or uses a motorhome or caravan.... it may be a cultural issue............. but not anything to do with race........ you could say the same about boating/yachting/flying/snooker - or darts! :)Eeek:)....lots of pastimes.....

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
It's no surprise with the blatant racism expressed by several members of this website; we cannot abide racism at any level. Keep on truckin' with Suzy n Toby Trux.

Go on then , name the alleged racists and examples of their racism ....................

If I was a betting man I'd wager you won't have the bottle though I'd be happy to be proved wrong (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know and used to regularly meet up with an extended indian/english family with 4 caravans and motorhomes between them. lovely family and even they said it was alien to the culture they were bought up in, but the loved the lifestyle. as for seeing black families using motorhomes, its not really that rare to see

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don't believe racism plays any part in who owns or uses a motorhome or caravan.... it may be a cultural issue............. but not anything to do with race........ you could say the same about boating/yachting/flying/snooker - or darts! :)Eeek:)....lots of pastimes.....

Yes this is true. I worked with an Indian lad and I asked him this question and he didn't know anyone in his family here or in India that had ever been camping or caravanning static or tourer. It's just something they don't do. He does package holidays to Spain and Italy.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its nothing to do with racism, whoever you are whatever race or culture , in this country you make your own choice and if you wish buy a motorhome you buy it.
As far as blatant racism, I must have missed something :rolleyes:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Now them bloody bikers, their a queer lot. Black leathers and tattoos, piercings, bad hair days, smoking, drinking, swearing,druggies and that's just the wimmins. :Eeek::rofl::rofl:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't think I've ever come across racism on Fun, have I missed something :)

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Spent our first couple of nights in our van in the new forest a test run , got back today . There was an Asian family in a caravan i didn't anything of it . I am from the midlands originally, half of my class at school were black or Asian, i left school in 76 . I cant understand racism maybe thats just me.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Spent my formative years ( up to 45) in the Midlands in a very multi cultural environment and loved it.
Since we moved to the South East I have noticed sometimes an intolerance of anybody not of white British ancestry.
Not everyone of course, and not usually malicious, but very noticeable.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Spent our first couple of nights in our van in the new forest a test run , got back today . There was an Asian family in a caravan i didn't anything of it . I am from the midlands originally, half of my class at school were black or Asian, i left school in 76 . I cant understand racism maybe thats just me.

It is quite possible they could be second or third generation Brits and like the lifestyle. Is it racist to call caravaners "tuggers" ? (n):whistle:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It rears its ugly head now and then, but thankfully only from a very small minority.
Yes that's true, it's usually those sheep sh**ing Welsh and the haggis bashing Jocklanders that start it. :boxing::whistle2::active::imoutahere:

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
You are right Badknee maybe they were . I helped an old chap hook up his caravan as he was struggling to move it , all the caravaners were sitting watching. Im new to all this just saying what i saw .If someone needs a hand why not i say.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have not actually seen a Funster except at a rally so it isn't surprising that we do not see many people of any type, anywhere.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
And still I await an answer , funny isn't it how mudslingers go quiet when " outed " , ........... Just saying
You're right .
But I'd suggest that it's not mudslinging but trolling that we witnessed.

As to the ops question .. imho it's just a cultural thing can't see it changing any time soon

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Asian neighbour's sons (across the road) would love to have a van like ours but too many other calls on their income, like many young people, at the moment.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Only ever seen a black family in a motorhome once....you tend to remember these moments.

Maybe the nomadic lifestyle is too close to (historic) home for them.

Ironically, I believe it is Caucasians that travelled more - white people have lost pigmentation through mutation and evolution as they moved from sunnier climes.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The vast majority of motorhomers in the UK are, shall we say, "older" people. I believe, although I can't find the data right now, that only around 5% of the population aged over 60 come from ethnic groups other than white. If the breakdown is similar in the motor homing/caravanning community then there's your explanation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back