PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Time to give the fresh water tank a deep clean, so poppet this into the fresh and it's now on soak, before I flush out tomorrow, then it's a simple case of popping the odd tablet to two in when required:)

Destroys organisms which causes legionalla, Cholera, Diarrhoea, Typhoid, Amoebic Dysentry and Salmonella, so nice clean water for drinking and brewing tea :)
image.png image.png image.png

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I leave mine open and empty whilst stood up ,when in use fill once then drain and fill again.
I've never had any probs or have the wife and kids,we drink the water from the tank.We give our water company swift payment and in return they slip some chlorine in our supply to keep us safe until the next bill comes through !

Vlad

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We used Puriclean a few weeks ago to get rid of the old TCP taint.

It works a treat but after you drain it you will need to fill and pump out at least twice with clean water and even then you will probably still taste the Puriclean even in water boiled for tea.

I reckon it was well into the 3rd fill before I couldn't taste it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We used Puriclean a few weeks ago to get rid of the old TCP taint.

It works a treat but after you drain it you will need to fill and pump out at least twice with clean water and even then you will probably still taste the Puriclean even in water boiled for tea.

I reckon it was well into the 3rd fill before I couldn't taste it.
I'm the same, so I'll fill and rinse a few times and then hopefully clear out any possible risk of taste :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also if it's the little tubs that Halfords sell then one id good for 90 litres. I used one and a half tubs on our 120l tank.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm the same, so I'll fill and rinse a few times and then hopefully clear out any possible risk of taste :)

It's not undrinkable. It just tastes a bit like a swimming pool (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Never cleaned our tank out, we never leave it empty and ensure it is filled with fresh water at least every week if we aren't using it, but we are usually away in the van somewhere.
We drink the water, so do the dogs, never had a problem.
I guess if you don't use the van over the winter, any water left in the tank for long will start to acquire a bit of a tainted taste, so a few flushes with fresh water should sort it out.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never cleaned our tank out, we never leave it empty and ensure it is filled with fresh water at least every week if we aren't using it, but we are usually away in the van somewhere.
We drink the water, so do the dogs, never had a problem.
I guess if you don't use the van over the winter, any water left in the tank for long will start to acquire a bit of a tainted taste, so a few flushes with fresh water should sort it out.

We were the same but ours acquired the TCP taint after a fill up somewhere in France last autumn - filled up from nearly empty and it tasted horrible immediately. It had probably half a dozen fill ups after that and the TCP taste was still there. In the end Puriclean was the only way I could get rid of it.

It's fine now though and I probably won't clean it again unless we get another taint (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I leave mine open and empty whilst stood up ,when in use fill once then drain and fill again.
I've never had any probs or have the wife and kids,we drink the water from the tank.We give our water company swift payment and in return they slip some chlorine in our supply to keep us safe until the next bill comes through !

Vlad
I do very much the same but flush through with a couple of Puriclean tabs if it's been stood for a couple of months over winter. Normally, though, we use it too often for there to be a problem.
We were the same but ours acquired the TCP taint after a fill up somewhere in France last autumn - filled up from nearly empty and it tasted horrible immediately. It had probably half a dozen fill ups after that and the TCP taste was still there. In the end Puriclean was the only way I could get rid of it.

It's fine now though and I probably won't clean it again unless we get another taint (y)
The first time we picked up a TCP taint was at a re-enactment event where little used pipes had been treated but not flushed through sufficiently. We have also picked it up from a water bowser at Stratford and from using Puriclean too often. That's why I now follow the practice as above.

We would love to install a Nature Pure but there is nowhere in the pipe run to the kitchen area that we can fit one without major surgery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back