Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
From the beginning of January I decided I needed to get a bit more fit. My knees get a bit sore but I love biking. So, every morning around 5am I ride from home up to the top of Epsom Downs which in my case is quite a good workout. I average around a 13 mile round trip.

I love the quietness as there is virtually no one around. If I do the ride any later I often have to slow down when approaching the Race Horses which are starting their early morning gallops and can be quite skittish and easily spooked.

My intention as stated was to get fitter and keeps my knees supple but in the process have started to lose some weight (which I could do with) and this has motivated me to keep on keeping on. The real bonus is I haven't cut down on food intake.

Trousers and shorts which were to tight now fit and two notches on my belt less :)

Anyone else doing similar?

Rob

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Was borderline Diabetes 2.Cut out bread and spuds,(Well halved lol),always out with the growler and this has worked for me,as well as felling trees,cutting them up and then splitting for logs....... So the Gym's out...To tired LOL. Best of luck with your endeavours.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
From the beginning of January I decided I needed to get a bit more fit. My knees get a bit sore but I love biking. So, every morning around 5am I ride from home up to the top of Epsom Downs which in my case is quite a good workout. I average around a 13 mile round trip.

I love the quietness as there is virtually no one around. If I do the ride any later I often have to slow down when approaching the Race Horses which are starting their early morning gallops and can be quite skittish and easily spooked.

My intention as stated was to get fitter and keeps my knees supple but in the process have started to lose some weight (which I could do with) and this has motivated me to keep on keeping on. The real bonus is I haven't cut down on food intake.

Trousers and shorts which were to tight now fit and two notches on my belt less :)

Anyone else doing similar?

Rob

Well done keep it up.
Did the same thing 18 months ago, weight was starting to creep up so got out the mountain bike. However knees just wouldn't have it so bought an electric bike. What a difference can now cycle 20 / 30 miles with very little battery assistance in fact usually none for the first 15 / 20 miles. Lost one and half stone in weight and feel so much better.(y)(y)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I do exercise at home sean T25. 25 mins of intensive exercise, :-( hate doing it but needs must. However find i lose weight and feel fitter when we are away with the van. This is because we walk loads so i would rather be away walking than at home. :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Walking 3 dogs 2 or 3 times a day for a couple of miles and rounding up a dozen chickens each evening, mowing the lawn and chainsawing trees around the garden is enough exercise for the moment. I need to get the bike out as the weather is improving and the house still needs renovating.
Cant wait for bedtime, and the weight seems to be dropping a little after Christmas. Still, I am very impressed with your 13 mile daily ride.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
just started on the bike - definitely need to lose some weight as going on a cruise in June and I am fairly sure (positive !!!) I cannot get into my DJ

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another vote for dogs. Our late Jack Russell just didn't do long walks in his later years but we now have a six month old pup. Did five miles on Dartmoor this afternoon including a bit of geocaching which also gets my legs working and last week on a brief visit to Cornwall my longest walk was twelve miles along the coast. The latter was preparation for a MH rally I'm organising where this walk will be one of the events - not compulsory I hasten to add! The other events major on food and drink.:) However, organising the rally exercises another useful organ - the brain! (y)

Now, what was I writing about...?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I walk to and from work at the moment which is 1.5 miles each way.

Quite enjoying it , especially on a sunny morning.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I do exercise at home sean T25. 25 mins of intensive exercise, :-( hate doing it but needs must.

Me too.

I have to cover the countdown timer up. I know it's only 25mins but it seems to go on forever. It's ok when it gets to sub 10 mins but up until then :cry: So I found the easiest thing was to just stick something over it on the tv.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
DBK, have missed which your rally. Can you point me in toward 'yours?', please
It's a Murvi club rally, if you have a Murvi you can come!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes.

Dog walking a GSD/Border Collie twice a day plus cycling when possible. That's every day when in France and about two or three times a week in UK. Plus, at the moment, up and down ladders all day, painting, following a house move.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Proper exersize will come later because of my heart problem and as im recently T2 diabetic I am trying to change my diet.

I now use 'half spoon' sugar in my coffee (it's half sugar half sweetner and very nice), eat wholemeal bread and benecol spread, snacks are 'baked' crisps, flavoured rice crackers or low fat Jacobs cheese crackers, loads of fresh fruit and low fat and sugar everything.
I have had three meat pies in almost two months instead of three at one sitting.
Everything bought is checked for saturated, polysaturated and polyunsaturated fat and carbs checked for sugars.
Once I get my ticker bypassed I'm considering getting on me bike again, but that will have to wait for now.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My damaged spine / neck / shoulder ( why does pain have to spread ??? ) got worse so I'm doing my own version of physio. After an hour with an ice pack wrapped round my neck, followed by half hour of heat each morning I can drive. Joined leisure centre at a holiday park just up the road. 6 lengths of pool, can still only swim on my back at the moment though, 10 minutes in their superb steam room, hot shower and 5 minutes in the sauna I can move enough to do a couple of miles along the beach with the dogs. It can only get better.......

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
just started on the bike - definitely need to lose some weight as going on a cruise in June and I am fairly sure (positive !!!) I cannot get into my DJ
A CRUISE,,thats a guaranteed way to put weight on,,with all that food i would be to tempted,,,BUSBY.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Gym 3 times a week. Weights, cardio and some stretching. I go with my training buddy ( husband) I love it and it keeps me fit for skiing.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Cycle and walk every day when away in the van,,average about 60 miles a week. Do not cycle in UK but try to walk 6 miles at least 4 days a week,,,,BUSBY.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally when at home we look after daughters springer spaniel most days so that means a 3 mile walk. 2 times minimum often 3 or 4 times a week we go dancing Lindy Hop & Jive.
Getting a bit lazy at the moment in Portugal, not gone very far on the bikes done quite a bit of walking but on flat terrain. Normally we like hills and mountains when on holiday but friends we are with are more into eating than exercise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back