Electrolux RM4400 igniter or electrode (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
For the electrode, think spark plug that delivers the spark to ignite the flame, the ignitor generates the spark, like the coil on a petrol car. What symptons are you getting, do you have an ignition fault or are you just wanting to change to electric ignition ?

OP
OP
Neil n Pat
Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
thanks for the analogy. The spark has been gradually getting weaker and weaker until recently when it stopped altogether having to resort to removing the external side panel offering a lit taper. I assume the igniter is just the ceramic part with an electrode going down the center which as you say gets the high tension from the piezo igniter. Taking this onboard maybe the electrode is dirty earthing the spark or maybe the piezo igniter has died. Do you have details of any upgrade kits to convert it to electric start ?

atb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
thanks for the analogy. The spark has been gradually getting weaker and weaker until recently when it stopped altogether having to resort to removing the external side panel offering a lit taper. I assume the igniter is just the ceramic part with an electrode going down the center which as you say gets the high tension from the piezo igniter. Taking this onboard maybe the electrode is dirty earthing the spark or maybe the piezo igniter has died. Do you have details of any upgrade kits to convert it to electric start ?

atb
I've done what you would like to do a number of times in the past. It's easy and it's well worth doing. Almost any igniter will do the job but if you're uncertain just buy one for an Electrolux / Dometic fridge that isn't AES. One like this in fact:

Broken Link Removed

You'll need a permanent 12v supply to the fridge (as opposed to the one that's there only when the engine is running). Very little power is required so a nearby lighting or other supply is fine. You can fit the required switch in the hole from which you remove the piezo button. You have a choice of either push-button or switch: a switch is better because the igniter will stop sparking when the fridge lights & re-start if wind blows the flame out. Constant clicking means you are out of gas or the flame-failure device has kicked in. Wiring is simple: earth (0v) to one terminal on the module, +12v via your new switch to the other, existing electrode (spark) wire to the remaining terminal.

OP
OP
Neil n Pat
Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
thanks for the details, appreciated. I watched a video on youtube detailing how to get the fridge out which isn't necessary of course being able to get to the igniter mechanism. I cleaned the igniter , disconnected the gas line and cleaned the pilot hole cup , cleaned the igniter connector then sprayed with switch cleaner re-assembled and hey presto it ignited first click.

are you qrv on 20m Tony ? we have a roundtable chat along the costa's, across to southern France, down to Tenerife and up to Dunnet Head once per week. Email me if you would like the sched frequency and times. gm0vpg@hotmail.com 73 Neil

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
thanks for the details, appreciated. I watched a video on youtube detailing how to get the fridge out which isn't necessary of course being able to get to the igniter mechanism. I cleaned the igniter , disconnected the gas line and cleaned the pilot hole cup , cleaned the igniter connector then sprayed with switch cleaner re-assembled and hey presto it ignited first click.

are you qrv on 20m Tony ? we have a roundtable chat along the costa's, across to southern France, down to Tenerife and up to Dunnet Head once per week. Email me if you would like the sched frequency and times. gm0vpg@hotmail.com 73 Neil
I've been pretty inactive on anything for a few years now. Never used HF because at the time my licence didn't allow it without passing the CW test and I couldn't see the point. Anyway things changed so I can use HF now - I just haven't as yet :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back