Welcome to France! (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We just pulled off the Péage from Spain near Bayonne, driving along narrow hilly roads slightly lost, and got pulled in to a Police check point. The trainee officer went to the passenger side of the van, then sheepishly realized that there was no steering wheel there, so came around to my side. He asked if I spoke French, and looked totally lost when I said no. So the senior officer had to take over, and asked for my driver's licence. Slight panic on my side, because I was unsure if we had the green 2nd part with us, or even if they were still issued. He studied it seriously for a while then sternly gave it back. There was a heavily armed officer holding an automatic behind him.
"He's got a gun!" I pointed, wide eyed. "Yes", he said. Ahh, I said. "Welcome to France".

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Let them keep checking, might it be the sun tan making you look non European, travelling north from known trouble sources, (I mean north Africa not Spain :)) given recent troubles I don't blame them (y)

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Of course they should. They were stopping anyone. I heard that there was a scare about a missing terrorist from a bust in Belgium. Believe me, I could never pass for anything but a white anglo-saxon or nordic.
It was a little bit Allo Allo. The pompous poseur with the gun, the charming smiley lost boy trainee, the stern senior officer. It brightened my day. Especially since they didn't ask for the second part of the licence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Of course they should. They were stopping anyone. I heard that there was a scare about a missing terrorist from a bust in Belgium. Believe me, I could never pass for anything but a white anglo-saxon or nordic.
It was a little bit Allo Allo. The pompous poseur with the gun, the charming smiley lost boy trainee, the stern senior officer. It brightened my day. Especially since they didn't ask for the second part of the licence.

Second part of licence has not been valid for a while now.

"Since 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence isn’t valid and is no longer issued by DVLA."

From: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Given it is only four months since 130 people were killed in Paris by terrorists I think they can be forgiven for the lack of smiles and the presence of the big gun.

And they will pull over even the most innocent looking as there could be someone sitting behind the driver pointing a gun at him in order to get driven over a border.

freddy

Free Member
Oct 7, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Laika eco vip
Exp
since 2006
I thought the paper licence was no longer valid

Deleted User
I thought the paper licence was no longer valid

The paper licence is still valid (the pink one) but as others have posted, the paper pard of the "card licence" is no longer issued.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back