5 Mins a day with a 1200 W hairdryer (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I am having great difficulty trying to convince Jane that she can go without a hairdryer for a two week tour. “I can go for two maybe three DAYS, but we are not going to talk in WEEKS” she says.(n)
So, with the imminent fitting of a 150W solar system and coupled with my 2 x 95 Ahr batteries, can I have an inverter fitted to cover her 1200 W hairdryer used for approx 5 mins a day this time of year in the UK without too much detriment to my batteries? If the answer is a yes, I know this 5 mins will increase to 10 with straightners.:rolleyes: We have 12V set, but she gets dryer with her head beside the air vents.:D
Your advice as always is gratefully received and will be the authority I will go with.(y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My wife was a "wash every day" type but had to change her ways !! (y)
Now got her up to 2 days, 3 at a push....!!

We have 100w solar, 2 x 110amp batteries and a 600w inverter (does 1000w on a short burts). She uses a travel hairdryer but use on low heat setting and that cuts down on the load.. Works fine for us and and when she has to use it.
Straightners may be another matter as they will just gobble power.. I think my other half has some Braun gas powered ones, or maybe thats a curly thing ?? Anyway, there's something for you to look into..

GLAD I'M BALD.. :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have 360amp battery bank and twin solars on the roof plus a 2000 watt inverter.
Jan uses her 1500w hairdryer everyday for approx 5 mins in takes very little out of the batts and we camp off grid for weeks and weeks and never run out of power.
Why struggle and go without its supposed to be pleasure not an endurance test, if we needed more power I'd sort it.
We also watch tv for a couple of hours most evenings as well via satellite.
If in doubt add another battery.

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi as Ror has said that will be fine. Its actually about the Ah ( Amp hour) rate that determines how long a battery will last for. Example:- 1200 watt Hairdryer will draw 100 amps on 12volt. So after an hour of use you will have used 100 amps of your battery capacity. If the hairdryer is on for 12mins you will have used 20. Which obviously will be topped back up via solar panel. Hope this helps. Luke

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
We have 360amp battery bank and twin solars on the roof plus a 2000 watt inverter.
Jan uses her 1500w hairdryer everyday for approx 5 mins in takes very little out of the batts and we camp off grid for weeks and weeks and never run out of power.
Why struggle and go without its supposed to be pleasure not an endurance test, if we needed more power I'd sort it.
We also watch tv for a couple of hours most evenings as well via satellite.
If in doubt add another battery.

What a lovely thoughtful man, lucky Jan. I love your sentiments ie, pleasure not an endurance test. Have been looking avidly at forums for the hairdryer dilemma and your answer is the first 'sensible' one. lol. Being a very low maintenance woman, cutting my own hair, no make up...the list goes on, having use of a hairdryer occaisionally - it's not too much to ask is it? Thanks, I've screen shot your answer to show 'im indoors. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I love posting this :LOL:
inverter.jpg

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I have a 12v hairdryer your wife can have. Just pm me if you'd like it.
Very kind of you to offer, but we do have one. In fact she has two of them from our folding camper days. Maybe if we rig both up it will save her laying down beside the hot air vents.:D Either that or I will take a leaf out of @Forestboy book and just "sort out more power". :love: I will have to check with @eddievanbitz if I can add this to my already growing list :whistle: or talk her round :unsure:
Will Winter in the UK re-charge the 10 amps the hairdryer would use in 5 mins? ish - bearing in mind I'm on the Sunny South Coast.(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
1200W hair dryer for five minutes is about 10 Ah assuming a few losses, might be a shade higher but the decimal point is in the right place.

I regret to say I can't see any flaw in your wife's plan. :)

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I regret to say I can't see any flaw in your wife's plan. :)
Cheers - Not!!(n) I'm the Funster here not her:cry: - Is there any way I can retract my opening statement ?
Your advice as always is gratefully received and will be the authority I will go with.(y)
@eddievanbitz I thought you put her off this idea at the show. Have another go mate.;)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I am having great difficulty trying to convince Jane that she can go without a hairdryer for a two week tour. “I can go for two maybe three DAYS, but we are not going to talk in WEEKS” she says.(n)
So, with the imminent fitting of a 150W solar system and coupled with my 2 x 95 Ahr batteries, can I have an inverter fitted to cover her 1200 W hairdryer used for approx 5 mins a day this time of year in the UK without too much detriment to my batteries? If the answer is a yes, I know this 5 mins will increase to 10 with straightners.:rolleyes: We have 12V set, but she gets dryer with her head beside the air vents.:D

Buy her a towel.

Dave

Reactions: CWH

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Micro fiber hair wrap followed by a rest on a comfy cushion in front of one of the vents.

Get ready to run when you suggest it though

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I just sit in the sun. Don't need a hairdryer. Hairs gone a bit Thinner anyway.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
we have 330 amps of battery power, a 2000w inverter and 110 watts of solar. Mrs A uses her hair drier and hair straighteners almost every day without any significant effect on the batteries, but, we tend not to stay in one place for more than a day

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Much the same as @tonka setup (330 amps - 200 watts solar . B2B) and no problems running hairdryer, but closer to 15 minutes by the time other half is done.
I love the comment "Why struggle and go without its supposed to be pleasure not an endurance test" by @Forestboy and @tonka I'm not bald yet, but getting there.............

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Micro fiber hair wrap followed by a rest on a comfy cushion in front of one of the vents.

Get ready to run when you suggest it though
Got one of those. (y) made all those suggestions and now getting push back. Every now and then, I get a "well as long as I get most of the water out, and you dont rush me" so I think I maybe getting somewhere.:D
I just sit in the sun. Don't need a hairdryer. Hairs gone a bit Thinner anyway.

What Sun??? - The UK don't do Sun:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
1200W / 12 = 100A approx from your battery.

You think a 100Ah battery would run that for 1h wouldn't you ? But no it does not work like that.

For a start it's best to use half of the capacity for long life.

50Ah then, she can use it for half an hour. But no it does not work like that.

100Ah battery is usually quoted at it's 20 hour rate ( from memory ) which obviously is 100/20 = 5A. Once you hit the poor thing with 100A you need to derate it by about another 50% because the chemical energy in the plates can't get out quickly enough.

Right we are down to 25Ah. You load it with 100A, you have about 0.25h. 15 mins and you've cooked a 100Ah battery.

All approximate.

Now you have to put that energy back in. Out 5 mins 100A. In 150W maybe 8A on a really good day so one twelfth of what went out so guess 20X that 5m to put it back dues to losses.

Bottom line then. She dries for 5 mins the sun has to blaze down for an hour and a half.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You said "to straighten her hair "yes? If so, then there's one very good solution for that I use every six months and even less now. Hairdresser straightens the hair for six months , no more hairdryer, no more "oh no... it's raining I'm going to look like a poodle again!" I think JJ never saw a hairdryer in my hands since I 've done that! Any proof of that? There you are!

Attachments

• Photo_00118.jpg
    Photo_00118.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
1200W / 12 = 100A approx from your battery.

You think a 100Ah battery would run that for 1h wouldn't you ? But no it does not work like that.

For a start it's best to use half of the capacity for long life.

50Ah then, she can use it for half an hour. But no it does not work like that.

100Ah battery is usually quoted at it's 20 hour rate ( from memory ) which obviously is 100/20 = 5A. Once you hit the poor thing with 100A you need to derate it by about another 50% because the chemical energy in the plates can't get out quickly enough.

Right we are down to 25Ah. You load it with 100A, you have about 0.25h. 15 mins and you've cooked a 100Ah battery.

All approximate.

Now you have to put that energy back in. Out 5 mins 100A. In 150W maybe 8A on a really good day so one twelfth of what went out so guess 20X that 5m to put it back dues to losses.

Bottom line then. She dries for 5 mins the sun has to blaze down for an hour and a half.
Thank you all for your input and there is some real useful info to mull over. Truly, I'm not that bad a person to make my Wife lay on the floor with a microfibre hair wrap on. - I will give her a cushion :ROFLMAO:- But I like this one the best(y) now I need more ammo

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
To a woman a hair dryer is a line in the sand and there is no discussion. That's why I went the generator route.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
To a woman a hair dryer is a line in the sand and there is no discussion. That's why I went the generator route.
:ROFLMAO: I wish there was a "Very" button.:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back