Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Very seriously looking at getting a 5er :thumb:, but my pickup only has 3 seats. Does anyone know if its legal for passengers to sit in the 5er whilst driving if I install seatbelts??

Thanks as always :thumb:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
:Eeek: Don't think so dazzer. :Eeek:

This is the answer i keep getting but everyone says "Think" which isnt the same as yes or no :cry:

I even phoned the local cop shop and asked them and after been greeted with a wall of silence the guy said "whats a 5th wheel then?" :Eeek::Doh:

So in the absence of knowledge from our local police force im asking the funsters instead!!!:thumb::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Dazzer

the first question you ask is ..

Is a 5er a trailer ?

yes it is, same as an artic, .. then you can't have passengers in it while travelling.. there may not be a specific law re 5ers .. just as there is no law about A frames..

jim

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
In America about half the States allow you to ride in the trailer whilst the other half say that if you do - you need your head tested! :Eeek:

See here:

Here is what the California Vehicle Code Section 21712 says about that:

(g) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle that is towing a trailer coach, camp trailer, or trailer carrying a vessel, containing a passenger, except when a trailer carrying or designed to carry a vessel is engaged in the launching or recovery of the vessel.

(i) Subdivision (g) does not apply to a trailer coach that is towed with a fifth-wheel device:-

if the trailer coach is equipped with safety glazing materials wherever glazing materials are used in windows or doors,

with an audible or visual signaling device that a passenger inside the trailer coach can use to gain the attention of the motor vehicle driver,

and with at least one unobstructed exit capable of being opened from both the interior and exterior of the trailer coach.

Generally speaking riding in any trailer is a bad idea. Lying down on a bed for nap unrestrained in any vehicle is a really bad idea. Just a hard normal traffic stop could be disasterous to a recumbent, snoozing passenger. Especially if the driver has no communication into the trailer.

Personally, I think that any sensible 'policeman' will associate the fifth-wheel as a caravan in this Country - and riding in a caravan is forbidden in this Country.

The fifth-wheeler is a relatively new concept in Caravanning in the UK and I really think it will take time for all of these situations to be sorted out - BUT in the meantime I think common sense must prevail.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, a fifth wheeler is a caravan/living van. not advised to carry passengers in a caravan. the greasy plate on most fivers is only a hitch they are not even proper artics.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
I am pretty sure that it is not legal.........................but there have been a few occasions when I have been sorely tempted to ride in there whilst mrs robc does the driving as she thinks she knows better!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I am pretty sure that it is not legal.........................but there have been a few occasions when I have been sorely tempted to ride in there whilst mrs robc does the driving as she thinks she knows better!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rob,, It`s obvious your misses dont read these threads, :boxing: :winky:

Deleted User
hi, a fifth wheeler is a caravan/living van. not advised to carry passengers in a caravan. the greasy plate on most fivers is only a hitch they are not even proper artics.

Why is a 5er not articulated, it has an articulated coupling.I have heard you say before about an imposed load of 20%, where does this figure come from?I have tried to find construction and use regulations relating to this but they seem only available in hard copy at great expense.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only if you are into beastiality and your family/passengers are livestock.::bigsmile:

i will find it again eventually but until then.......only livestock can travel in a trailer.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why is a 5er not articulated, it has an articulated coupling.I have heard you say before about an imposed load of 20%, where does this figure come from?I have tried to find construction and use regulations relating to this but they seem only available in hard copy at great expense.

nothing whatsoever to do with imposed loads or any other load....

read on... Articulated vehicle

and more RV 5th wheel related here

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. matamoros, if you google the transport managers and operators handbook by david lowe from kogan page. if its the 2006 copy look at construction and use definitions of vehicles. could be page 322 . mine is different. it tells all. yes they are expensive about 50quid. worth every penny. find it difficult to be a transportmanager without one. freight haulage ass. also do a good one. covers most things you would ever need to know about rules n regs. i think they will show you 2006 coy but its ok. you could ring dvla always helpfull but takes a bit of time. wish i could direct you better but i am computer illiterate nearly.cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, pappa, thats what they say. a normal caravan hitch is articulated in my eyes but not in construction n use definitions of vehicles. i dont make the rules i only abide by them sometimes!!! ha ha.

Deleted User
hi. matamoros, if you google the transport managers and operators handbook by david lowe from kogan page. if its the 2006 copy look at construction and use definitions of vehicles. could be page 322 . mine is different. it tells all. yes they are expensive about 50quid. worth every penny. find it difficult to be a transportmanager without one. freight haulage ass. also do a good one. covers most things you would ever need to know about rules n regs. i think they will show you 2006 coy but its ok. you could ring dvla always helpfull but takes a bit of time. wish i could direct you better but i am computer illiterate nearly.cheers alan.

Hi Alan,
thanks for help, managed to find some stuff in Domestic Regulations relating to motor cars and heavy motor cars defined by unladen weight stating "20% of weight of load" to be imposed on towing vehicle, not load and trailer. I also found some definitions of semi trailers based on max GVW but with no details. Seems to me that in this country some regs are based on unladen weight( ie old regs that have not been updated) and more recent ones based on MGW. Don't think I will lose much sleep over it though.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the regulations are the road traffic act1988. they do seem complex but when you study them they make sense. artics dont carry loads ,only pull trailers . thats another reason .alan.

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Blimey!! :Eeek:

I only wanted to know if i could chuck the mother-in-law in the 5er when we go away :Eeek::Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, dazzer ,get a proper truck stop playing about. 7seater. your too old for playing boy racer,Tee Hee. once they are in no body see,s them if you have small windows. but dont quote meon that. have fun cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back