bought a Smart car to cheer myself up (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
After having to sell our Motorhome and looking round for used/nearly new Smart cars have decided to push the boat out and buy a new one. got local Merc dealer near enough to a broker price and bought a new Prime Premium plus with all the toys...Its a lovely drive far nicer then earlier models. power steering, better suspension from Merc C Compact latest 6 speed gertag auto real nice so much better then earlier, navigation, leather, cruise etc...etc.. fully loaded. pick it up Friday:)

The idea is if I can buy another van in the future I'll tow this on a folding trailer....

Eddie

smart.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Good for you !
Shame it's not electric
I guess the speed and economy is not for everyone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well done.. Puts my morning purchase of a Sony 50" Android TV to shame.. ;)

You cant take it with you, you know. (y)

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you have sat in one you already know how spacious they are for a small car, new one 100mm wider (same length) makes a hell of a difference!. Its such a departure from earlier models its a case of chalk and cheese. but when nearly new where nearly as expensive what is the point....

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For the same money you could have bought a Thai bride - now that would have really cheered you up !

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
One day you will realise how rediculous that comment was !
Currently so called 'green energy' is producing 7% of UK electricity requirements http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ so if you want to run a car on a mix of coal/gas/nuclear electricity that's fine. Personally I consider the main viable fuel source to be the Hydrogen cell. Plenty of carmakers are nearly ready to produce that in viable quantities and Shell apparently has already 400 Hydrogen stations planned for Germany. I will follow what the oil companies do, they call the shots.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Currently so called 'green energy' is producing 7% of UK requirements http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ so if you want to run a car on a mix of coal/gas/nuclear electricity that's fine. Personally I consider the main viable fuel source to be the Hydrogen cell. Plenty of carmakers are nearly ready to produce that in viable quantities and Shell apparently has already 400 Hydrogen stations planned for Germany. I will follow what the oil companies do, they call the shots.
We run ours on green energy already
Plus no car tax and no charge for employees as a company car either

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
And where does your "clean" hydrogen come !

Anyway, they bombs with it, far too dangerous.
I never said hydrogen was green, I just said UK electricity is nowhere near green, 12% at best, 1% at worst!!!!

Anyway petrol explodes in your cylinders and diesel too!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I never said hydrogen was green, I just said UK electricity is nowhere near green, 12% at best, 1% at worst!!!!

Anyway petrol explodes in your cylinders and diesel too!
At 2p a mile to run I'm not complaining

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I never said hydrogen was green

That's true. It's this advertising nonsense, "you can drink the exhaust, it's H2O" that gets me. Apart from the fact it will have loads of oil products in it as far as I know we don't have a "clean" way to produce hydrogen yet.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
But how many ? With the heating on :Eeek:
I top up about twice a week. Did 2000 miles since last May
Just bought another so wil have two in the business / family

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I top up about twice a week. Did 2000 miles since last May
Just bought another so wil have two in the business / family
Hmmmmm that's not a lot of mileage then, I did read less than 50 miles between charges if you have the wipers, lights heating on etc is that correct ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hmmmmm that's not a lot of mileage then, I did read less than 50 miles between charges if you have the wipers, lights heating on etc is that correct ?
I guess it depends on the make
Our BMW i3 is carbon fibre and 300kg lighter than the Nissan Leaf
We get about 80 miles between charges, that's with the heater on.
It's got an app that allows to you program your departure time, so the car is pre heated, ready for your journey
Electric cars don't suit everyone, but mine is perfect for me

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Looks very nice..(y)
:Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek: Buttons in need of Laser eye surgery perhumps? :wink:

.....and 100 mm wider now that's an increase of almost 10% then. I strugle to fit my snooker cue inside, have to strap it to the roof, and I swear my Golf Buggy has more leg room!

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Good for you !
Shame it's not electric
I guess the speed and economy is not for everyone

believe me this shifts in sport mode...and not even the turbo version. Mel told me its easy to get flashed by a camera and she was right!..that on a test drive:coffee:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back