Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
I lost my wife last October after 41 years of marriage. We had a wonderful summer last year in the UK in Cornwall and Wales but primarily bought the van to get away from the UK winter weather.
I thought I would sell the van as I did not want to travel alone, but , I love travelling, I love the van, so I did go down to Spain for Jan & Feb. I did enjoy the experience and I met a lot of nice people, mostly couples, but it was also very lonely at times.
I have joined this site to talk to and perhaps meet other people in a similar situation. You have to find a way to carry on and start a new life, Maybe I will sign up for a rally especially if I know there will be some solo travellers there.
Best wishes to you all. David

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
David, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you have continued to use your Moho. There are other solos and I'm sure they will be along to introduce themselves.
Welcome to fun and if we are ever at the same rally, pop in for a cuppa and cake.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome David, sorry to hear of the loss of your wife.

We think it's a good decision to keep the moho and keep travelling. We understand how difficult it can be to be alone amongst couples no matter how friendly and welcoming they are.

We hope you'll continue to travel and make more friends, including some of the solo members on here.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi David I was the same after losing my wife after 45yrs marriage. However keeping the van and meeting up with like minded people couples and singles helped me turn my life around its bloody hard at times with the loneliness,but it does get easier..i lost my Kate nearly 4 yrs ago and am only just starting to get my life back together ,the best thing is my van and the people I have met not just on this forum but around the countryside as I tour with my van ..so try to get out and about but most of all make the effort to say hi to anyone you park alongside...it pays dividends Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Welcome David and sorry for your loss. We all love the fact that you've decided to join Fun, as it's a place to kick back and connect with 1000's of other like minded folk. We've all got one thing in common and that's our motorhomes and a sense of travel and adventure :)

You'll meet lots of friends on the road and through this site, who'll help in anyway possible, just ask. Most Funsters are knowledgeable, handsome, intelligent and clever (like me :)) while others can only try to compete (all with tongue in cheek) :)

Keep being strong and keep travelling as it'll help heal and fill the time void too :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I lost my wife last October after 41 years of marriage. We had a wonderful summer last year in the UK in Cornwall and Wales but primarily bought the van to get away from the UK winter weather.
I thought I would sell the van as I did not want to travel alone, but , I love travelling, I love the van, so I did go down to Spain for Jan & Feb. I did enjoy the experience and I met a lot of nice people, mostly couples, but it was also very lonely at times.
I have joined this site to talk to and perhaps meet other people in a similar situation. You have to find a way to carry on and start a new life, Maybe I will sign up for a rally especially if I know there will be some solo travellers there.
Best wishes to you all. David
Sorry to hear of your loss. It was not quite appropriate to "like" your post but I did so for your positive attitude. There are a lot of solo travellers on here and you will never regret going to a meet - provided that you don't sit in the van all day. Everyone has time for a chat and willing to help out if needed.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome David.
So very sorry to hear of your loss and our thoughts are with you.
You will find lots of help ,fun and information oh yes and some heated debates sometimes!! But that's what makes this a great forum and everyone ,whatever their circumstances is welcome.
Hope to see you at a rally soon(Chester is our first one and we have joined in the quiz team and I'm rubbish at quizzes!! But it will be a great way to meet loads of people.):welcomesign:

OP
OP
David27

David27

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
Thank you all for your positive replies, advice taken onboard. I have tried to get into the Chester rally but it would appear to be fully booked. Hope to meet up with some of you soon. David

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you all for your positive replies, advice taken onboard. I have tried to get into the Chester rally but it would appear to be fully booked. Hope to meet up with some of you soon. David

Hello Welcome to Fun, I am going to have a word with Chester tomorrow and will let you know if there are any places available with fun, so please check the thread tomorrow.

Sorry it is in sad circumstances for you to join it's a brave decision to keep on travelling but as you will find from the forum so much help information and camaraderie unlike any other motorhome forum I've come a cross. :welc:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi David and welcome to fun, so sorry to hear of your loss but I'm sure your wife will be happy that your getting out and about in the van. Although I cant comprehend what your going through I lost my mum in January this year and my dad has taken it really bad but he is getting there slowly but still misses her as I do my self, they were married 50 years and together 54.
He is actually away on holiday today with a friend of his who lost his wife a couple of years ago and it felt like I was packing a kid off on holiday as my dad had never packed a case before and he didn't have a clue what to take :).
It all got a bit much for him and last night he said he wasn't going but after a wee talk I managed to convince him.
Hope you have many fun times in your van

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Welcome to the site David and I am very sorry for your loss. I hope you will find this site as welcoming as I have!

Keep motor homing as it is a great people meeting device!

We travel on the continent twice a year and find it and easy to talk to people.( my French and German is basic but many people speak English and a great conversation can be had between people who have a no real understanding of each other's language)

Put a Motorhome fun sticker on your window and you will meet fellow club travellers.

Our friend lost her husband two years ago and was going to give up on her van conversion but we discussed it together and convinced her to keep going. She now goes off every 4/5 weeks!

Take care

Bob

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi david sorry to hear about you loss i to lost the love of my life last year i also thought of getting rid of van but in the end decided to keep it i have just returned from a tour of france /spain/ morroco and portugal.took my sister with me ,also i have a picture of ann on both sides of van [it,s a talking point whenever i stopped]i am now prepared to move on no plan,s just take everyday as it come,s, few beer,s few tears,hopefully catch u at 1 of the rallies
prie de la rouz 859.jpg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi David, so sorry for your loss, but as everyone has said on here we're glad that you've joined the forum, and intend to carry on motorhoming. We are also at Chester, and would love to see you.

My advice would be to look out for smaller meets too which may make meeting new people a little easier. Also, getting to know people 'virtually' on the forum pages before meeting them face to face means that you meet as 'old friends'. The daily quiz thread is always good for a bit of banter! (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Welcome...sorry for your loss. My wife luckily still with me but as I retired early I go down to Spain for a few months either spring or Autumn. First time was difficult but now easy..I am into a routine. Speak to more people down there in a week then a month at home it is very sociable in Benidorm. I'm used to it now and love it, days full of cycling whatever....evenings a bit lonely but always get chatting in a bar..but I like my privacy, reading etc...so used to it now. would usually be there by now and wife would be flying over for Easter holidays but unfortunately my health has got in the way...

Good luck..keep your pecker up!

Eddie

OP
OP
David27

David27

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for all the positve inputs. Can't get into Chester as it is full. Wanted to make the Newark Show but busy that weekend. Will definately go back to Spain next year. David.

OP
OP
David27

David27

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
Hi David, so sorry for your loss, but as everyone has said on here we're glad that you've joined the forum, and intend to carry on motorhoming. We are also at Chester, and would love to see you.

My advice would be to look out for smaller meets too which may make meeting new people a little easier. Also, getting to know people 'virtually' on the forum pages before meeting them face to face means that you meet as 'old friends'. The daily quiz thread is always good for a bit of banter! (y)
Hi, What smaller meets are you referring to and where are they posted ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
welcome dance.jpg

Please come to a rally or a meet. Last weekend there were three funster vans at Troon Harbour, two solo vans and my hubby and I. It was great fun, nice for the guys to have male company and for us girls to have a gossip as well. Sandra's Mum came across on the Sunday so even more fun.

You'll never be alone (unless you want to be) at a meet :)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi David, sorry for your lose. Yes there's a lot of us solo campers out there and at any fun meet we are always made to feel very welcome. You'll find many Funsters at all the shows and please try some of the smaller rallies which are great for getting to know people better. (y)

OP
OP
David27

David27

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
Hi Clive. You are the second person to refer to "smaller rallies". I have seen the Chester show, which is fully booked. I cannot make the Newark show and the Funster club booking is full at the Peterborough show. When and where are these smaller rallies. I'm fueled up and ready to go ! David.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Clive. You are the second person to refer to "smaller rallies". I have seen the Chester show, which is fully booked. I cannot make the Newark show and the Funster club booking is full at the Peterborough show. When and where are these smaller rallies. I'm fueled up and ready to go ! David.
If you go to EVENTS at the top of the page you get them in Calendar format. Otherwise there is a section in the Forum list for potential and planned rallies. Just click on FORUMS and scroll down you'll soon see them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back