Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
felling a little growly.:madder: Some one drove into the back of my van this morning at a set of traffic lights. Now I have the hassle of the insurance claim and waiting for the bent/buckled back doors etc to be fixed. I was told by my insurance claim line that I could have a free like for like hire vehicle. I can't wait for them to tell me what I can I have!

Oh yes we are ok:)

Time for a beer..

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to hear of your shunt, was it in a van or motorhome ?
Hope you get it sorted quickly.
If motorhome, a review of insurer and how they handled claim would be interesting to hear particularly if it`s one of the main moho insurers / brokers.
Chris

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
hope it goes OK for you, interesting concept though the like for like hire of another MH

I guessing from your own words that yours is a PVC? that is going to cost someone a fortune if you justify permanent hire to give the option you currently have of just going off if you want to :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I know how you feel, some tow rag backed into my Merc. C class, on the Golf Club car park. They have dented the tail gate and upset the electric open and close system.
I do know the tow rag drives something green!
I can feel a big bill coming on

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope it's quicker than my friends repairs as it took weeks and weeks to sort out the rear doors. Just keep on top of the repairers and don't let them add any filler. Ask for replacement parts as they'll only crack if not.

Good luck and glad you're not hurt in any way.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
felling a little growly.:madder: Some one drove into the back of my van this morning at a set of traffic lights. Now I have the hassle of the insurance claim and waiting for the bent/buckled back doors etc to be fixed. I was told by my insurance claim line that I could have a free like for like hire vehicle. I can't wait for them to tell me what I can I have!

Oh yes we are ok:)

Time for a beer..
Glad your ok. Sorry about the bump. Let us all know how you go on !

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I didn't really want to like your post because I bet you are well peed off! Hope it gets sorted ASAP and you don't miss any planned trips .
Oh and glad you are all ok.(y)
Let us know what they allow you to drive! Could be interesting!!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
There are security cameras but they are dummies, as it is in an urban area and the residents complained.
Would have been handy!
Which are the dummies, the residents or the cameras ? To bad there is not a paint DNA database :(

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
thanks for all your support. The insurers are Safegaurd so I will let you know how the process pans out. So far there are two companies involved that are subcontracted by them. Replacement back doors could be expensive.

The motorhome is a panel van conversion a month short of 1 year old. They don't make this one amymore and there are not many 5.4m 4 seat belted versions around!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Even though your van is only 5ft 9 ins it's well big enough to see ! What was the driver doing to run into you texting per chance?!

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
funny the lady said that she should have seen me as I was the biggest thing on the road at the time..

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
thanks for all your support. The insurers are Safegaurd so I will let you know how the process pans out. So far there are two companies involved that are subcontracted by them. Replacement back doors could be expensive.

The motorhome is a panel van conversion a month short of 1 year old. They don't make this one amymore and there are not many 5.4m 4 seat belted versions around!

Sometimes you have to weigh up the extra on your premiums at renewal for the next few years, against the cost of fixing it yourself or even getting the the other party to shell out.
If I can avoid involving the insurance company I will!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Tow bars that have never towed anything have their uses for this kind on of episode. Rear steps also do the same.
I had someone do the same to my car at lights they bent the swan neck towball but nothing else, except my neck hurt for a month, something to do with no shock absorption in the hefty bar brackets .

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I would lay odds she was on, texting on the phone.
I drive around locally all working day, can't believe how many I see.
At the shop sometimes stand outside for fresh air, zebra crossing right ther. You would not believe how many near misses and small rear Enders, and I see the perpetrator ON THE PHONE

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would lay odds she was on, texting on the phone.
I drive around locally all working day, can't believe how many I see.
At the shop sometimes stand outside for fresh air, zebra crossing right ther. You would not believe how many near misses and small rear Enders, and I see the perpetrator ON THE PHONE
No it was not a HER, it was a Romanian bloke on his way to work. I was OK about it as there was NO damage at all to his car not even the number plate, I do not where the almighty BANG came from I thought the back was coming to the rear of my seat, It sounded horrendous. I know that head rests on Fiestas are too far back though, to be effective.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Well day 6 since the bump (see I am mellowing) and update as some of you wanted to know how Safeguard perform.

Sunday reported the accident to a call centre run by Carpenters on behalf of Safeguard. left all the relevant information

Monday contacted by CCL who operate as the no fault accident management company for Safeguard. They arrange for accident repars and hire vehicle. Unfortunately they did not know it was a motorhome so they dropped the discussion about a hire vehicle when I mentioned it.! perhaps it was the fact that I use the van for business as well as leisure that confuses them. Axa the other drivers insurer left a message on my answer machine. Did not return call under instructions of CCL Emptied the van.

Tuesday contacted by Autocraft who act as the local damage estimate and repair service on behalf of CCL. Had to go and see them to see if the van would fit in the workshop as they had not been told it was a motorhome. They are run off their feet. Damaged vehicles everywhere must be the parking in their compound! They said that new doors, bumper and parking sensors are required I have to ring next week to find out when they will be able to start work.

Friday nothing has happened so I will put the gear back in the van. Both Carpenters and CCL assured me earlier in the week that they would be in touch to make sure I am happy with the progress. I have no word on the progress of the insurance claim. A phone call direct from Safeguard at this point would be reassuring. No chance I suppose as everything seems to be subcontracted out.

Oh well at least I can go away when I want and get the van repaired when it is convenient. This is my only vehicle and we are spontaneous about nights away, nobody in this chain so far recognises these points

I will post when I have a further update.:)

Ronidog

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Friday pm Carpenters and left a voicemail. So I rang and went through about 10 options and ended up speaking to CCL! Apparently they wanted to speak to me any way as they could not get hold of Autocraft to confirm when the repairs would take place. I have to let them know when Autocraft have repair date. These chains are ridiculous . Nobody talks to their subcontractor and each company has their own reference number.
They are now insisting that they can get me a like for like motorhome for my hols if needed.

Next instalment as and when something happens

Ronidog

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good luck. If the CCL you are dealing with are a Hertz company they get some terrible reviews although most of the adverse comment I found related to the courtesy car, which naturally comes from Hertz.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Yes you are correct CCL is part of Hertz. I am hoping I will not need a courtesy vehicle if the repair does not take too long.

Reactions: DBK

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In the case of being shunted up the Arris I wouldn't hesitate or worry about making a call to the Insurance.
You will get back the Excess plus tany extra you have to shell out in enlarged premiums because your Ins. will get it from the other side.
BTW, if your Insurance comes up BEFORE the saga runs it's course, get your renewal quote WITH and WITHOUT the claim you're going through.
That way you will know how much to claim for in 'Consequential Losses' when the time comes.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Update 1 week and 2 days on.

I now have a date for repairs next week

But before that can go ahead I have sign a document with CCL saying that I agree to them handling the claim, repair and storage etc
I have to sign a credit agreement with them which will be paid off when the other party's insurance pay up or I claim from insurance company. I would have thought that was what CCl were appointed to do by Safeguard. The contract is in tiny writing and full of jargon and references up and down the paragraphs.

I did not expect this and thought that Safeguard would have all this covered. Perhaps I am naïve as I have not been involved in an accident for many years.

The result is I am a little confused and not very happy with the process. Anybody else had experience of this sort of process?

Ronidog

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are given a hire car by a claims management company you can be liable to pay for it if you are found at fault for the accident.

I can only suggest ringing Comfort and asking them to clarify where you stand and what the risks are. CCL just want to make money hiring cars.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
I understand about the hire car but I have declined that. The agreement relates to the whole of the claim against the third party and the repairs. I know that this is all about CCL accident support, CCl vehicle hire and eventually Hertz making money. Even the agreement is in American English :( I am going to ring Safeguard tomorrow to get it all explained

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
(y)I hope some are finding this interesting so I will keep updating as things progress.

Spoke to Safeguard this morning and got some clarification for which I am grateful to the person I spoke to.

Safeguard and Allianz accident Process started in late 2015

Carpenters take the initial details and then pass it on to either Allianz or CCL

1. If the accident is your fault Allianz insurance deal with the claim. This affects your future policy, the loss of excess charges and only covers recovery and damage.

2. If the accident is not your fault then the claim is dealt with by CCL without involving Allianz. This does not affect your policy or excess and all the costs and expenses or recovery, repairs, car hire etc are recovered from the third party insurers. However you must sign a contract with CCL.

3.You can opt out of this and let Allainz handle the claim. If in the end it cannot be proved it was not your fault then Allianz will handle the claim. In both theses cases the problems in (1) hit you.

I have offered to help Safeguard and Carpenters explain this in future policy documents as I think that is very confusing. Not sure if they will take me up on this although Safeguard did offer to take my concerns to a review meeting that is happening this afternoon.(y)

Ronidog

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
ronidog 1 said:
(y)I hope some are finding this interesting so I will keep updating as things progress.
Yes Ronidog, very interested in learning about your progress, so please do keep the updates coming thanks. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmm, So CCL must be making a profit somewhere along the line, I wonder what they are doing that Allainz can't/don't want to do? (n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back