Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
My van is a couple of years old and the Windows have started to leak, the manufacture has issued a recall to install new Windows, however the new ones look nothing like the originals and change the look of the van in a major way I have asked if they can be replaced like for like but they are unable/willing to do so
Do I have a leg to stand on if I want to question this with the manufacture as I feel I no longer have the van I purchased (the external appearance was a major factor in my decision) or am I p***ing in the wind
Thks for any advice

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm not sure of your legal position here but it sounds a horrible situation to be in. Good luck and I hope you get some good advice.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmmm, are the original Windows "standard" ones like fitted to many other makes? If they are just fitted by your company perhaps they weren't any good and need a new design fitting that will last?

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hmmmm, are the original Windows "standard" ones like fitted to many other makes? If they are just fitted by your company perhaps they weren't any good and need a new design fitting that will last?
Yes originally fitted by the manufacture, they have a standard window which is covered in a black perspex curved along the side of the van (not seen it on any other van) these have not failed buckled/warped and are being removed which changes the whole look of the van
Will post some pictures, thks

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you currently have something like this:

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Info about the new windows here:

Broken Link Removed

This is what they look like:

hobby_premium_drive_70_hge_viele.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I suppose you could refuse but then you'd have no comeback against Hobby. I remember seeing these Hobbys when they first came out and thought the 'slab' windows were more a style statement that a practical proposition.

Our previous Autocruise PVC had the type of 'standard' windows they are now putting in the Hobby where as our current Globecar PVC has the large 'slab' windows - I much preferred the 'standard' style in use.

Broken Link Removed

2014-globecar-familyscout-l-motorhome-exterior.jpg

I just hope our large windows don't start to have problems!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes originally fitted by the manufacture, they have a standard window which is covered in a black perspex curved along the side of the van (not seen it on any other van) these have not failed buckled/warped and are being removed which changes the whole look of the van
Will post some pictures, thks
No I didn't mean that really. Having seen the pictures now they may not be standard across a whole range of vans an might be "peculiar" to yours. If they have chosen wrong and they don't work I'm afraid changing them for some that do work and will continue for years to come may be the only answer?

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I I remember seeing these Hobbys when they first came out and thought the 'slab' windows were more a style statement that a practical proposition. !
Your not wrong there MG(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I guess it would depend how and where they originals are leaking.
If its the actual window that leaks rather than the fixing to the wall then why would you want the same crap designed windows fitting again.
As they insist changing to another make/design i would think its the actual window design at fault.
If it is just the wall to window seal then simply have them removed and resealed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I assume the size/material used for the window 'cosmetic' cover is what is causing the problem by warping over time and distorting the actual 'pane' that seals the window itself hence letting the water in. What would worry me if I insisted on keeping the originals is how long will they continue to distort ... would it get to the point where they were totally useless? Another thing that concerns me about these 'larger' cosmetic windows is that I believe they are easier to break into - this happened to us in Pisa when someone was able to yank our dinette window open and break the catches - if the window 'cover' hadn't been so large they'd have had less to grab hold of.

If you love the MH otherwise I think it's a case of accept the 'fix' and get on with enjoying it - annoying, yes, but if it means it is leak-free, usable and secure that's got to be the most important thing - after all you are usually sat inside looking out anyway!

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I nearly bought one as I liked the flash look.
Meaning a flash along the vehicle.
Glad I changed my mind now on the drive home from nec

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I guess it would depend how and where they originals are leaking.
If its the actual window that leaks rather than the fixing to the wall then why would you want the same crap designed windows fitting again.
As they insist changing to another make/design i would think its the actual window design at fault.
If it is just the wall to window seal then simply have them removed and resealed.
It's both the cover and window that's leaking PJ, your right I do need to get them changed and I will, however to me it's not the same looking van with the new windows and as @Minxy Girl pointed out I am inside looking out but to me a significantly different looking van than the one I purchased hence my question does the manufacture have any responsibility to provide like for like

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
I would be extremely unhappy and completely understand why you are, the new windows do not look anywhere near as good as the existing, as you say , it completely changes the look of the van, for the worse.

Peter Ashcroft

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2015
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 600
Exp
Since 2014
I would be extremely unhappy and completely understand why you are, the new windows do not look anywhere near as good as the existing, as you say , it completely changes the look of the van, for the worse.

Sorry Gorse Hill, on re reading my comment its probably not made you feel any better, that wasn't my intention, I was just agreeing with you that it has changed the look of the van, I do hope you manage to find a solution, its still a great looking van in my opinion.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
First things first. Daft as it sounds, your beef is not with the manufacturer, even though he's the one that is providing you with a new set of windows. It's surely with the person you bought it from. ie the dealer
The problem you have is the 'van is two years old and I cannot see any Court allowing you to 'reject' the van and get your money back.
Therefore, and whilst I accept that the 'new' windows dramatically change the look of the 'van from sleek and stylish to 'I'll put the windows in as an afterthought,' I would suggest that your only recourse in Law would be to take the dealer to Court, claiming that the ascetic look of the 'van has changed so much, that you will lose money as and when the time comes to change.
Speaking purely as a layman but also as a Hobby lover, I can tell you that, prior to the problems with the windows, I would have wanted your prefacelift 'van in a heartbeat. I cannot say that with the 'new' windows fitted. I suppose what I am saying is that in my eyes, your 'vans old look was desirable. The new look isn't so and in my eyes at least, that will have an impact on your 'vans resale value and as consequence you should have recourse to Law.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Sorry Gorse Hill, on re reading my comment its probably not made you feel any better, that wasn't my intention, I was just agreeing with you that it has changed the look of the van, I do hope you manage to find a solution, its still a great looking van in my opinion.
To be honest I am a bit gutted about it, we use the van nearly every weekend and will continue to use it I love the lifestyle just a bit p***ed off it doesn't look as nice with the new Windows
on the other hand am lucky having a new van so not the end of the world

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Has anyone noticed one of these in the 'cattle sheds'? As I walked by I saw that the windows on that one were warping ... not good! I hope the dealer gets them sorted BEFORE he sells it and tells the new owner about them!

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Has anyone noticed one of these in the 'cattle sheds'? As I walked by I saw that the windows on that one were warping ... not good! I hope the dealer gets them sorted BEFORE he sells it and tells the new owner about them!
Been a recall from Hobby had mine done a couple of weeks ago, if not he/she not going to sell it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Been a recall from Hobby had mine done a couple of weeks ago, if not he/she not going to sell it
We saw it today, it had been moved further back - it was at the front originally - as it had been sold! I doubt if the new owner noticed the window problem, unless you know about it you wouldn't realise or think to check.

How does your MH look now? Is it better than you thought?

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We saw it today, it had been moved further back - it was at the front originally - as it had been sold! I doubt if the new owner noticed the window problem, unless you know about it you wouldn't realise or think to check.

How does your MH look now? Is it better than you thought?
Looks a lot better than I thought it would MG
It's good but it's not Carling
Did you notice how much they wanted, selling mine within the next month
Thks (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sorry I didn't notice the price but if you have a Google its probably still for sale on their website as I doubt they'll have updated it yet ... can't remember which company it was though! :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back