DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
We're going to Europe soon for the first time with an MH and our inexperience is showing..

Booking Eurotunnel the question of roof boxes and bike racks confused me - we have an Ultra 360 box on the rear mounted bike rack, no bikes, so do I have to book this with them ?
Also, do I need to put any hazard warning or any other markings on the box?
All I can find is that I need GB markings but I seem to recall in other trips that certainly Dutch MHs are festooned with stickers for various things, so don't want to give the gendarmes and excuse to stop me..
:):LOL:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @DigglyDog

Euro tunnel will want to know about your rear box because a bike rack with a box increases the overall length of the vehicle and they need height/length info for loading.

As far as the diagonal red/white marker board is concerned, I believe that it's not mandatory in France. It is in some other countries (like Spain). It's not a bad idea to have one - it makes that part of the rear of the van more visible.

The Dutch have all sorts of stickers. They seem to be plastered with speed limit stickers particularly! They do so much travelling, they probably need 'em.

Don't forget that you need a fluorescent jacket for each person travelling in your MH. If there's a roadside problem (like a puncture or the police stop you) you must get out with it ON!

There's plenty of resources on here for more bits tha you may need.

France is a fantastic country for motorhomes - enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi @DigglyDog

Euro tunnel will want to know about your rear box because a bike rack with a box increases the overall length of the vehicle and they need height/length info for loading.
Not so. Eurotunnel have never asked us for our height or length. You just book it as a campervan, which covers all motorhomes from a little VW camper to a 35ft American RV. Always seemed daft to me to ask about a bike rack in that case, or a top box either given that all campervans are put in the extra height carriages, which take coaches. Not sure if they then charge you extra for them either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As Peter says the Bike racks or roof boxes only applies to cars as it increases their hight.
Motorhomes are charged a flat rate irrespective of height, length or weight

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry guys, I stand corrected about the height/length thing. Must have had a whimsy (or been thinking of ferries doh!) However, Eurotunnel DO ask about bike racks or boxes.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry guys, I stand corrected about the height/length thing. Must have had a whimsy (or been thinking of ferries doh!) However, Eurotunnel DO ask about bike racks or boxes.
They do indeed James, but I have never understood why :D

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
I bought a roof bag rather than a box as it takes seconds to put on and off. To tight to pay for extra height me :D

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well the carriages are small - but by the time you have started moving, you're nearly there! And if desperate, you can actually walk up and down the sides, I think there are loos every few carriages? - but if you need a loo just use your own. I used to like it in the Bessie, if the vehicle behind had kiddies, cos you can wave and grin and 'make friends' with them - kept them quiet and distracted so the parents could sit and have a rest - and me occupied LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DigglyDog

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
I know why I was confused now...thanks guys for all the input and putting my mind to rest on whether to declare or not. We're taking the tunnel because we are travelling with a large basset hound and she howls when she's left alone. Hopefully she will be ok in the tunnel, but if not it's only for 45 minutes.
:)

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think there are loos every few carriages? - but if you need a loo just use your own.

On the double height train there is a loo in the front and rear carriage. They are not to be recommended :sick:
so as Sedge says use your own on board facilities or use the ones in the terminal before boarding.

You have to switch your gas off so we have a flask of hot water with us so that we can make a brew to have along the way.

We have one of the red and white chevron boards on the bike rack which you could also have on the back of your box. I think they should be used on anything that extends past the normal back end of your vehicle.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back