How do people get on with chromebooks (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive used laptops for years but fairly conventional ones.

I travel for almost half the year, mostly in the MH but also flying. Im considering a chromebook to use as a main pc because I think the battery will last longer and it will be more portable.

I need to do a few hours of typing/ word and emails and spreadsheet work per week for business.

What I c'ant get my head round is the data storage issue. I dont always have access to internet but do need constant access to my word and excel docs and would like to be able to store my photos. I would also like to be able to connect to TVs for filmon etc.

Would a chromebook and an extrenal hard drive do this? Is there a better way?

I ve tried tablets and dont get on with them for typing, and I would rather choose what I store on the device for offline use.

Thanks

Jon

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm not an expert but thought the whole point of a chromebook is it uses data and programs online so you would be better off with a laptop

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Never looked at them, but Is Chromebook not a cloud oriented device necessitating interweb connection?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Mr Wino is correct.

If you need local storage then a chromebook isn't for you. Think of it as a network workstation where all the programs and all the data that you use and work on are stored on the central server. All you basically have in front of you is a screen and a keyboard.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Would a chromebook and an extrenal hard drive do this?

That would defeat the whole object of a chromebook. Stick with a conventional laptop.

EDIT: I don't think it would work anyway because you still wouldn't be able to install the software you need. With a chromebook that's all cloud based as well as your data storage.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
what about using Linux?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
what about using Linux?

Would make no difference. I don't think you could with a Chromebook anyway. They are very stripped down machines from a hardware point of view - just enough on board processing power to get it to boot and connect to the net, no proper hard drive.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I travel for almost half the year, mostly in the MH but also flying. Im considering a chromebook to use as a main pc because I think the battery will last longer and it will be more portable.

Most good quality laptops these days have a battery life of 10 hours plus so if your current one is quite old you will be in for a treat (y) Also faster, lighter, thinner, blah blah blah.......

But ........... and I think it is a big and valid BUT ............. you get what you pay for!

Me? ..... well I like Apple ;)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Tablets aren't ideal when it comes to typing but have you considered adding a bluetooth (or even wired) keyboard. It makes such a difference.

Wyn

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I would take a look at the Surface Pro 3/4 and the Surface Book, assuming you need Windows.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
As above i use the Surface Pro 3 everyday for work and find it meets all my needs, i use both the onboard keyboard and the keyboard attachment. Best tablet so far in my opinion (y)

Rob

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use a nexus 9 tablet and a tesco blue tooth keyboard with Google docs. It works with or without Internet connection. You can also get a version of ms office for Android.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back