Adivce required re fitting 12V sockets (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
A few weeks ago I posted that I was need a couple of 12v sockets and USB sockets, well they came today and I thought I'd have a quick look at the job. There's a 12V junction box just where I want to fit the sockets and assumed it would be positive to positive and neutral to neutral or is it called negative.

Opened up the 3 junction boxes and slightly confused so thought I'd ask the experts.

First box has a few connectors in it two to the right hand side have green in to them
One has several brown going into it and the other several blue, now the bit that confuses me the one with the brown going in has a blue coming out to nearby light and one with blue in has brown out to light so what way round do I connect my two wires.
image.jpeg

The other two boxes in the pics below one is the same brown in blue out and blue in brown out and the other one is as I thought they would be brown in brown out and blue in and out.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So how do I work out what way to wire the sockets, I know this might be simple to some of you but please explain it to an idiot.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It seems the laws of lektrickery in Moho's is completely different to household stuff.
The brown may well be negative and blue positive so then you add something that may be red positive and blue negative so things are swapped around instantly.
A meter may well be needed to find out which is positive and negative in your Moho.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
A meter might be initial option to find out what's what & maybe draw out wiring diagram of van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Use a volt meter.

Those colours are 230v colours, not regular 12v.
Some clown may have used 230v flex instead of 12v single conductors.....but I wouldnt take a chance of banging mains voltage inro a 12v socket.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just so you know it's a brand new van German built.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes as Paul said you need a meter and preferably an electrician.
The first box at least looks like 230 volts given the greens are most likely earths

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My Hymer uses mains colours for the 12v circuits. For 12v BROWN is used as 0v ('earth') and BLUE is used as +12v.
Poor practice in my book.
By all means use the same colours, but not mains flexible cable instead of proper 12v automotive wiring....too easy to confuse the mains and 13v circuits.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The first box at least looks like 230 volts given the greens are most likely earths
Thanks Andy I'm in no hurry so might just take you up on that offer. I thought the same with the first box even though it says 12V on the box, and the blue brown does go to a 12V light. I'm back at work tomorrow so might ask the shift control guy for advice.
I have a Satellite coming next week so expect more questions :)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
My Hymer uses mains colours for the 12v circuits. For 12v BROWN is used as 0v ('earth') and BLUE is used as +12v.
This is what I though but got confused when they had wired blue to brown and vice versa

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
maybe if the wires go to an LED light they have been changed around +/- rather than changing the bulb around -/+ but easy to check with a multimeter

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Just thinking out loud. The blue brown to the light wouldn't be the switched live would it?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
dont go guessing! ,use a meter and check for polarity,0v and earth are two different things ,you will find 12 v positve (assuming that its 12v) between the live feed and both the 0v and the earth,in all probability the green is the earth,if in doubt get a sparkie to check.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For goodness sake you lot ... it's a Globecar! Ours are exactly the same - it's just how they do them.

Another Globecar owner on this forum told me about it when we bought ours, he said:
Just remember the German wiring, their colours are the opposite to ours. Their brown/red is usually negative and blue positive. Just check before you make any connections.

Its quite easy to use a tester to check which is which and the stick your cable in accordingly ... just ensure that you get the end right in before you push the clip down to get a good tight fit - much easier than the way some other MH makers do their electrics!

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
In my experience it is standard practice in Germany to use blue and brown for 12 volt circuits. they do though keep then apart from 230 volt circuits which all have 3 core cable. A meter will quickly tell you both the type of power and polarity for DC

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Use a volt meter.

Those colours are 230v colours, not regular 12v.
Some clown may have used 230v flex instead of 12v single conductors.....but I wouldnt take a chance of banging mains voltage inro a 12v socket.
They are 12v only ... they don't 'combine' 12v and mains. Globecar have a different colour scheme for their electrics - see my post above.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Lol sound easier.. :) I love the "usually" aspect of it.
Tbh I'd jump at the chance to let @Techno have a look at it for ya.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Andy, looks like a "bodged" job, but I'm sure you will have it sorted in no time.
The 2 cable ones (blue/brown) ARE 12v ... not mains.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I had similar head scratching moments a few weeks ago when i was searching for a live feed to connect a 12v socket in our Hobby, you need to open a couple of the wago connectors to reveal the copper on the wire and put a multimeter across it, dont be fooled by the colours of the wire - it fooled me :LOL: the germans use different colour wire for live/negative etc, i found the any black wire in our MH was live and white was the negative, they also fit 240v sockets upside down so i had to turn all those around too, just make sure if you get a 12v reading off the meter its not got the - in front of it (-12v) like this, if you do you know you have the negative wire on your positive meter lead.. I had to smile to myself but felt a right numpty as i took a live 12v feed from our live feed at the water tank pump, i felt so proud to have done it so easy - until i connected the phone into it to charge and noticed everytime i connected anything to it the water pump came on :LOL::LOL::LOL: should i have really told that story :pray:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If taking sockets of existing 12 volt circuits you also want to be sure you are tapping off a power circuit that is suitably fused and not the lighting , hob igniter or fridge control circuit. When you find 12 volts you can pull each fuse one at a time to find the circuit that is suitable. Myself I prefer to come direct from the battery

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Techno I know I have said this before, but to those of us that can appreciate these things, your photos are always a pleasure to look at :) A place for everything and everything in it's place. Nice quality workmanship (y)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
For goodness sake you lot ... it's a Globecar! Ours are exactly the same - it's just how they do them.

Another Globecar owner on this forum told me about it when we bought ours, he said:

Its quite easy to use a tester to check which is which and the stick your cable in accordingly ... just ensure that you get the end right in before you push the clip down to get a good tight fit - much easier than the way some other MH makers do their electrics!

Mixny tried to quote your post with the quote in it about German wiring. I understand what your saying about them using the opposite colours but if this was the case why have they joined blue to brown and brown to the blue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back