LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
After going to order a new FAP handle for our van I was told 2 weeks so I tried a supplier who had some in stock non of which was the right one you can not belive how many there is so placed one on order £99 ouch! only to find out it will be April 18th before I can get one, anyway I used my best cobbling skills to repair this badly designed handle with good results as I found it very difficult to keep using the passenger door as the only way to get in

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Been there, done that with the external Hab door handle.
Then one of the catches that close and lock against the door frame failed... Bloody hair like spring broke on the release thing. All sorted now, just don't slam the door :(

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I had just replaced the top lock mech for that same reason a few pence spring and the lock was £50 if the spring was a normal spring I would have adapted another, funny really a part that costs a few pence stops you using a thing that costs so much money. Maybe we should check parts availability before we buy our vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Is it internal or external handle that's gone on yours ?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I had just replaced the top lock mech for that same reason a few pence spring and the lock was £50 if the spring was a normal spring I would have adapted another, funny really a part that costs a few pence stops you using a thing that costs so much money. Maybe we should check parts availability before we buy our vans.
i had the master brake cyclinder go on my volvo,i stripped it down and basically a spring had broken , i went to volvo parts and they wanted £210.00 for a refurb kit,i said i only want a spring,you cant buy a spring you have to buy the whole kit ,i went to a company called sterning springs and picked up a new spring for £1.18p ,thats more like it i thought:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
So what did you do Steve
Is it not worth sharing with pictures ;)

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
i had the master brake cyclinder go on my volvo,i stripped it down and basically a spring had broken , i went to volvo parts and they wanted £210.00 for a refurb kit,i said i only want a spring,you cant buy a spring you have to buy the whole kit ,i went to a company called sterning springs and picked up a new spring for £1.18p ,thats more like it i thought:)

The spring on the lock mech was not a spring as most people would imagine it was a complex shaped hair spring or I like your self would have improvised (y)

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
So what did you do Steve
Is it not worth sharing with pictures ;)

Me pictures ! Andy

It was an arm made from monkey metal 10mm x3mm in the shape of an Lit broke through the rivet hole. so I made a shoe to put over in the shape of an L drilled a couple of small 2.5mm holes for screws put some liquid metal in the shoe to take up any free play and then screwed it together set over night trimed up not perfect but works ok. Had I had the use of some gas or a tig I would have made a complete new arm.

Next time I will try to take some pictures.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I got a Hartal/fap caravan (Bailey I think) handle off the guy that serviced our caravan. It was a freebie, some old warranty replacement, but the little striker knob was the wrong position. I think I drilled and tapped it and made a good one out of the two.
With the internal set up, I got the complete handle set up (two latches, handle, solenoid, cables etc) from brownhills, £100 for the lot :D

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
image.png
This is what I got for my £100, so I got some spare parts