Scam alert - pretending to be an actual email contact of mine! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before anyone moans about this thread being in here - it's to do with the contact relating to uprating a vehicle so I thought I appropriate for this section as it's important.

As may will know I uprated our motorhome last year using the services of a chap called Mr AJ Ruffles, it appears that somehow scam artists have been able to get hold of his contacts and emailed out 'begging letters', so if you HAVE been in touch with John via email previously and get one of these scam emails please do NOT fall for it. I know its unlikely that anyone would but some might ... the email address 'claims' to be his ending @aol.com but in actual fact is a copy ending in @hotmail.com.

This is the email:

Good to hear from you. I'm sorry to bother you with this but it is a bad time for me . I had to make a sudden trip to Manila Philippines due to some urgent matters to help my sick sister, she was diagnosed with (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) a type of Blood Cancer and had been undergoing treatment lately. The news of her illness arrived to me as an emergency.

The hospital management is demanding for a deposit before they can carry out the surgery operation to save her life and I traveled down here with little money because I never expected things to be the way it is right now. Can you assist me with a loan? I'll surely pay back as soon as I get back home.

Please, let me know if you can be of help so I can advise on how to transfer the funds. I’ll be happy to hear from you soon regarding my request and please remember to keep this private.

A J Ruffles

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This type of thing is fairly common.

The way it works is that Mr Ruffles would have genuinely received an email, quite possibly from someone he recognised. Sometimes just opening it is enough, sometimes you have to click on something but when it triggers the message is instantly forwarded to everyone in the recipients contact list.

If you trigger it however it needs triggering it then it goes to all of your contacts and so on and so on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
I had one as well it just said,could you do me a favor, I just deleted it
Lee