Urgent help please collected new home from Strasbourg (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
My start to Motorhoming is not going well!!! My wife and I were due to collect a new N&B arto 79f from Strasbourg this week, firstly my mother in law had a major stroke on Saturday so my wife has had to stay in UK, so I'm on my own never driven any m/home yet alone a near 5 tonne 8 metre one.
Coming back pass Nancy today my navigation and rear camera have died (it's a Zenec system) I have reached the aire at Mareiul sur Ay tonight but really need the system working, already had close shave down narrow lane. I stopped and bought
some tools and removed panel by drivers left knee then pulled each fuse (about 20) but all look good. Any ideas please? Pretty stressed at the moment as my wife has just phoned to say mum has taken a turn for the worst and is not expected to last very long, I need to get back ASAP.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Andy

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I'm sorry I can't help, but someone will be along soon who can. All best wishes for a safe journey home.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you not got a road atlas? It should be main roads all the way to whatever port you are using. Can't see why you are using lanes, the satnav might of course be set to shortest distance.

Worst case find a big store and buy a cheap Garmin or TomTom but a road atlas will be cheaper.

Edit: just realised you are on an aire, hence the lanes. I suggest just motorway service areas from now on!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
forget fixing the satnav today, download a free satnav app for your phone to help getting home quick

sorry to hear about your MIL and you need to be with your wife to support her. Sadly been through it in our own family

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks for your suggestions, I hadn't thought about downloading an app so I shall do that and try to not get into any reversing situations.
Would still like to hear from anyone that may know how to fix it.

Andy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Can't see why you are using lanes, the satnav might of course be set to shortest distance
Sat navs not working that's the problem, only using lanes in error, trying to stare at iphone map without reading glasses, very easy to make mistake.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks for your suggestions, I hadn't thought about downloading an app so I shall do that and try to not get into any reversing situations.
Would still like to hear from anyone that may know how to fix it.

Andy

Don't know anything about satnavs but the general rule of reversing a large vehicle is 'If in doubt, get out'. A quick look behind then reverse a bit more. When my reversing camera stopped working I was in and out like a fiddler's elbow. :)

Good luck on your journey home. (y)

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Andy, just concentrate on the road and driving. Easy for me to say sitting here BUT, your priority is to get home SAFELY. If you have a bump, it will delay you even more.

As has been said; download something for your phone. The reason for getting a map, is not to read whilst you are driving, but to give you a rough idea of what to head for. Navigating over there is all about heading for large towns and joining the dots. Stick to motorways, even though this means paying tolls.

Best of luck, just take it easy.
Someone else may well be along on the forum to give you a route.

Hope the MIL rallies around.
James

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Maybe something as simple as a reset on the rear of the unit.......have a look for a small hole and insert something to reset...........i know older tom toms had these.
Hope you get sorted.

Just read troubleshooting...."Zenec" If unit not powering up

1 check car battery fuse
2 check car radio fuse
3 press reset button

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Maybe something as simple as a reset on the rear of the unit.......have a look for a small hole and insert something to reset...........i know older tom toms had these.
Hope you get sorted.
That was my first thought. I know nothing technical except - first rule of thumb: switch off, wait a bit, switch on again. I've had to use this twice in the last couple of days, once for a wired-in fire alarm system, once for broadband after a power cut, worked both times.
Testing times for you and your wife Andy. Good luck, safe journey, hoping for the best for your MIL.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Use the motorways.
Make a list of the places you want to head for, these should be signposted over the motorways.
Tolls may cost, but this might be the easiest way.
I solo myself abroad so I know what it's like.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
@ANDY400R Any joy with your troubles.

Let us know what model the unit is and may be able to find trouble shooting for your spesific unit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
It's a built in all singing all dancing model

I've tried turning ignition off and waiting, turning control panel off and on nothing, nada, dead. The only Fiat manual I have is in French so not helping to locate any more fuses to check. On top of that my wifi connection here had just terminated can't get it back, relying on weak 3 g signal.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Andy, have you contacted the people you collected the MH from? You must be under warranty, can they send someone or put you in touch with someone who can help?

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Andy, I bought my Frankia brand new 11 months ago and the sat nav and rear camera were off and on for the first week or so.

I removed the unit from the dash and the main incoming power feed (Yellow cable) mail/female bullet connection was not pushed all the way home making a connection on every bump in the road.

Best of luck............Griff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Andy, have you contacted the people you collected the MH from? You must be under warranty, can they send someone or put you in touch with someone who can help?
Yeah spoke to them about 6pm and they emailed me back saying take it to a dealer in Nancy, that's about 3 hours back in the wrong direction to where I am. Sent an email stating this but no reply I reckon they have finished for the night.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi Andy, I bought my Frankia brand new 11 months ago and the sat nav and rear camera were off and on for the first week or so.

I removed the unit from the dash and the main incoming power feed (Yellow cable) mail/female bullet connection was not pushed all the way home making a connection on every bump in the road.

Best of luck............Griff
Thanks Griff not sure I am upto taking apart dash, but it could be something like that. I just want to get home to the missus she is having a tough time.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
image.png

Taken from the instuction manual.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Was just going to say that @Popeye had a very similar problem on his new van, but he beat me to it. Colin says it is an easy fix if it is the same problem, but possible not while you are on the road.

Download maps.me as a temporary satnav to get you home.

Hope your mother in law pulls through.

Safe travels,

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Is this an after market system? If so you may find that there is an inline fuse hidden behind the unit in the wiring, always worth checking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks for that Bobby, it must be the radio fuse that's blown as car battery is ok and reset button does nothing. Now just need to find where the radio fuse is on a Ducato 2015

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ANDY400R

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks for trying to help guys and for your good wishes, unfortunately MIL is not going to pull thru it's just a matter of time maybe a few hours at best a few days. Just hope I can get home safely before it happens to support my wife.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Have you thought about parking it up at a site and just getting yourself home flight/train, and going back in a week or so to sort out the van...?

Hope all goes well for you ..... Last thing is not to panic, mistakes happen then.... Take care..

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
easy for me to say from home without your troubles, but try to ignore the radio problem, it really doesn't matter, we all coped without sat nav till a few years ago, get home safely to your family then deal with it then

The smallest of problems can seem enormous at times of stress, deep breath, sleep a bit, it will seem a bit better in daylight, then head home steadily

although your wife will really appreciate your company right now, she really doesn't need you to have an accident before you get home

look forward to meeting one day and reminiscing (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Andy,
I am sorry to hear of your problem and sadly unable to help in any way but I would just like to say get home safely and also how great this forums response is at times like this.
The FIRST emergency service (y)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My start to Motorhoming is not going well!!! My wife and I were due to collect a new N&B arto 79f from Strasbourg this week, firstly my mother in law had a major stroke on Saturday so my wife has had to stay in UK, so I'm on my own never driven any m/home yet alone a near 5 tonne 8 metre one.
Coming back pass Nancy today my navigation and rear camera have died (it's a Zenec system) I have reached the aire at Mareiul sur Ay tonight but really need the system working, already had close shave down narrow lane. I stopped and bought
some tools and removed panel by drivers left knee then pulled each fuse (about 20) but all look good. Any ideas please? Pretty stressed at the moment as my wife has just phoned to say mum has taken a turn for the worst and is not expected to last very long, I need to get back ASAP.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Andy

Sorry for your news...Out of interest how did you resolve insurance as missed it on other thread. Most German dealers very good know nothing of french.

usually you send them the bill for any works and they refund you. just buy a map in a patrol station..Strasbourg a pretty easy route to navigate. with a map you will be able to use the road signs or as said download an app. surprised you dont have Google maps on your phone to be honest

Good luck Eddie

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back