Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Hi
I've been keeping a low profile on here, as we were mere "MH owners- to-be"...but yesterday, our MH was delivered onto our driveway. It still has the German numberplates, awaiting the V5 from DVLA, so it won't be moving just yet, in the meantime we "christened "it last night, by opening a bottle of wine. Today, we've sat in it with a cuppa..;)

So, my question is..once we are "road legal" does anyone have suggestions for a few first trips? We live in Hampshire..near Titchfield, so have reasonable motorway access. I have noticed a few "locals" on here, so just wondered where should we head off to..the MH is LHD, so will take a bit of getting used to, for me at least.

The MH is a Hymer B544, nameless so far. :)

Thanks in anticipation.

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
We did a night stop at Hayling Island as our first trip (we live in Denmead). You can overnight at the seafront car park there near the "Inn on the beach" for £15 per night.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How far do you want to travel, and what do you want to do when you are there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Ah, Thanks, Urban Biker....that sounds a reasonable distance for starters.
Daniel Ford- we are looking at no more than, say, 50 miles from home. Initially, it may be just to get used to driving the beast, though in time, we have a bike rack and plan to park up and cycle around. The weather's a bit dodgy at the moment for cycling. We'd be quite happy to just park up and be grateful for an incident- free trip! :)

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Your first night or two should be on your own drive. You'll be amazed how many times you pop back in the house for random obscure things, like can openers, pepper, dishcloths etc When you find your not dashing back into the house for stuff you are fully loaded and ready to do (y) Exciting times.. enjoy

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Littlehamton, you can park overnight by the river into the harbor and the boating lake. Short walk into town.

upload_2016-3-9_16-53-14.png

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Join the camping and caravan club* and you have access to the camping in the forest sites. There's one near you within walking distance of Marlborough plus several in the New Forest. They're basic but inexpensive.

But as Jim says the first night or two at home won't be wasted.

Then once you are happy, ferry tickets from Portsmouth and off to France and beyond!

*please don't let that start another argument about the merits or otherwise of the clubs!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Ah yes, Fidget..The New Forest...Mr quite fancies heading for Calshot, where he used to windsurf. I drive round the Forest quite a lot with my job. My work satnav takes me down some single track roads! Must check that the MH satnav is set up for larger vehicles!
Littlehampton looks good.
Jim, I take your point about staying overnight on the drive. A great idea, though I guess my main worry is getting used to the driving ...:cautious:

We are itching to get on the ferry and head over to where LHD is the norm!

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
How exciting! Enjoy your first trip! And let us know what you name your van!!

Upvote 0

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
We did a night stop at Hayling Island as our first trip (we live in Denmead). You can overnight at the seafront car park there near the "Inn on the beach" for £15 per night.
you can overnight (from 6pm till 8am) on the esplanade and surrounding area at Portsea for free.....

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi
I've been keeping a low profile on here, as we were mere "MH owners- to-be"...but yesterday, our MH was delivered onto our driveway. It still has the German numberplates, awaiting the V5 from DVLA, so it won't be moving just yet, in the meantime we "christened "it last night, by opening a bottle of wine. Today, we've sat in it with a cuppa..;)

The MH is a Hymer B544, nameless so far. :)

Thanks in anticipation.

This is what we want to do for our next MH and the same make/model :)
Can I ask if u used a company to deliver it to you? Or did u do it yourself?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Hi, Spidey. We bought the Hymer through Bundesvan, who were just great! We chose the van from the mobile.de site, and Bob and Sue (Bundesvan) travelled to inspect it, reported back to us, and collected it from Germany. They also dealt with all the paperwork. We are more than happy to recommend Bundesvan, especially for novices like ourselves.

In terms of cost , we reckon we saved at least £15k by buying this way, all in.

Ooh...the van now has a name....Elsie.

I know it's not a very German name, but it's based on the new, UK numberplate.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I would have a couple of nights on your driveway first, that way you can make sure you have everything that you need and if anything does go wrong you can walk back into your house!

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi, Spidey. We bought the Hymer through Bundesvan, who were just great! We chose the van from the mobile.de site, and Bob and Sue (Bundesvan) travelled to inspect it, reported back to us, and collected it from Germany. They also dealt with all the paperwork. We are more than happy to recommend Bundesvan, especially for novices like ourselves.

In terms of cost , we reckon we saved at least £15k by buying this way, all in.

Ooh...the van now has a name....Elsie.

I know it's not a very German name, but it's based on the new, UK numberplate.

Thanks, I did send them an email late last year and they were very prompt at replying. So did you leave the 'make a deal with the dealer' to them? Or did you tell them which dealer to goto. I have seen good prices for b544 at palmowski. So do they charge a fixed rate on top? They did reply but i was a bit confused as to the charges. They seem a really good company:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I think the norm is for a customer to tell Bundesvan what they're looking for, and Bundesavn source a suitable MH...in our case, we'd browsed mobile.de, and found a particular MH which appealed to us. They negotiated a discount of a few thousand Euros on our behalf, and we paid a deposit. Then they went to inspect it, reported back very favourably, and the deal was done. Bundesvan brought it to the UK, dealt with the alterations for UK registration, and soon we had the MH. We would not have been confident enough to negotiate, or inspect, the MH, nor would we have been particularly keen to deal with the DVLA etc paperwork.All in all, it was a seamless and stress- free transaction, thanks to Bob and Sue, who were very professional, and at the same time, very approachable and friendly.
In reply to your question, Spidey, yes there is a fee, plus expenses incurred, such as travel to Germany to inspect and collect. Some of the expenses are "shared" with other customers whose MHs are inspected as part of the same trip, if you see what I mean.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Bundesvan are an excellent company to deal with. Honest fair and friendly in our opinion.

They bend over backwards to make the right things happen for their customers

I know this because we are often involved in working on the Motorhomes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Bundesvan are an excellent company to deal with. Honest fair and friendly in our opinion.

They bend over backwards to make the right things happen for their customers

I know this because we are often involved in working on the Motorhomes

And you are indeed due to do some work on Elsie soon..gas system and alarm. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back